Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for an A.C. Sphinx oil bath air cleaner

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an air cleaner to suit my Dennis lawnmower. It currently
has a plastic air cleaner fitted which looks all wrong.

According to the Spare Parts List, the correct air cleaner is an "A.C.
Sphinx Oil Bath Type" with a 1 1/2" circular opening in the bottom. I
believe they may later have been sold under the name A.C. Delco. The air
cleaner is of a squat, cylindrical shape with a removable lid.

Here's a picture of a lawnmower (not mine) with the correct air filter:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/...ir_cleaner.jpg

I have the curly pipe. I just need the air cleaner.

Anyone got one they want to sell, or know where I might find one? I'm
looking for this specific air cleaner, or one very similar, not one
which does the same job.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Anyone got one they want to sell, or know where I might find one? I'm
looking for this specific air cleaner, or one very similar, not one
which does the same job.

It looks VERY much like the Gravely oil bath cleaners:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAVELY-L1-OIL-B...QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://tinyurl.com/ca3mqd

I can take a better picture of mine and/or measure it if you want.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm looking for an air cleaner to suit my Dennis lawnmower. It currently
has a plastic air cleaner fitted which looks all wrong.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Does the oilbath air cleaner from an old VW look anywhere close or does
it fall into the "does the same job" category?

technomaNge
--
Obama: Half white. Half black. All red.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:
Anyone got one they want to sell, or know where I might find one? I'm
looking for this specific air cleaner, or one very similar, not one
which does the same job.

It looks VERY much like the Gravely oil bath cleaners:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAVELY-L1-OIL-B...QQcmdZViewItem

or
http://tinyurl.com/ca3mqd

I can take a better picture of mine and/or measure it if you want.

Bob

I currently use them , and there fitted
here in the UK to the Lister SR1 ,SR2, and SR3 air cooled 1500 rpm
diesel standby generator sets.If this helps, tho I dont have any spare ones.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Anyone got one they want to sell, or know where I might find one? I'm
looking for this specific air cleaner, or one very similar, not one
which does the same job.

It looks VERY much like the Gravely oil bath cleaners:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAVELY-L1-OIL-B...QQcmdZViewItem

or
http://tinyurl.com/ca3mqd

I can take a better picture of mine and/or measure it if you want.

It looks similar, but deeper to me. It appears to be taller with a
reduced diameter section below the top.

Thanks for the offer of measuring your Gravely cleaner. For the moment,
I think I'll pass and see if I can find the genuine article, but I may
get back to you if I cannot.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

I currently use them , and there fitted
here in the UK to the Lister SR1 ,SR2, and SR3 air cooled 1500 rpm
diesel standby generator sets.If this helps, tho I dont have any spare
ones.

Thanks very much, Ted. That's just the kind of tip I need.

Do you know if the cleaners fitted to the Lister SR engines are the ones
with a 1.5" diameter opening for the pipe (I believe A.C. made several
different sizes)?

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge wrote:

Does the oilbath air cleaner from an old VW look anywhere close or does
it fall into the "does the same job" category?

Not sure what they look like. I suspect they'd fall into the "does the
same job" category for the time being. I also suspect they may need a
larger air pipe.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:

I currently use them , and there fitted
here in the UK to the Lister SR1 ,SR2, and SR3 air cooled 1500 rpm
diesel standby generator sets.If this helps, tho I dont have any spare
ones.

Thanks very much, Ted. That's just the kind of tip I need.

Do you know if the cleaners fitted to the Lister SR engines are the ones
with a 1.5" diameter opening for the pipe (I believe A.C. made several
different sizes)?

Many thanks,

Chris

Cant look right now , will do tomorrow. The sr 2 is curently in use
Ted
Dorset
UK.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

I currently use them , and there fitted
here in the UK to the Lister SR1 ,SR2, and SR3 air cooled 1500 rpm
diesel standby generator sets.If this helps, tho I dont have any
spare ones.

Thanks very much, Ted. That's just the kind of tip I need.

Do you know if the cleaners fitted to the Lister SR engines are the
ones with a 1.5" diameter opening for the pipe (I believe A.C. made
several different sizes)?

Many thanks,

Chris

Cant look right now , will do tomorrow. The sr 2 is curently in use

Would be great if you could. No hurry.

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

By the way, I'm also looking for one or two Champion 7 Com. L spark
plugs, if anyone has any.

Best wishes,

Chris