Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Maguire

Default Fitting bath. Tile first or fit bath first?

Can anyone help? Do I fit the bath first then tile? or do I tile then fit
the bath? What are the disadvantages or advatages.

Is there a correct way?

Many Thanks
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:28:00 GMT, Ian Maguire wrote:

Can anyone help? Do I fit the bath first then tile? or do I tile then fit
the bath? What are the disadvantages or advatages.

I leave the row above the bath until afterwards.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Ian Maguire wrote:
Can anyone help? Do I fit the bath first then tile? or do I tile then fit
the bath? What are the disadvantages or advatages.

Is there a correct way?

Yes - it's to search the archives of this group where you'll find this
question answered many times :-)

(And the answer is bath first, by the way)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If I'm not too late I'd also like to suggest that you put additional
load spreading timbers, like two 4 x 2's under the feet of the bath if
possible.

My bath layed in the same direction as the joists hence two feet were
on one floor board and two feet were on another floor board. With a
full bath and 15 stone of body in it the floor boards would bend very
slightly and over a few years there was a moving gap at the wall side
of the bath.

Adding two 4 x 2's in the length dorection of the bath and under the
feet spread the load better. Resealing the joint and it ain't moved
since.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
end user

15 stone of body and a full bath dont add up, unless you counted the
water flooding through downstairs ceiling. Did you include the flood
water ass wipe.
If so make sure you fit the bath first then fit good quality bath seals
then tile the floor to ensure ass wipes like mcbrien dont rent the
place offa you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
end user

forgot to say once you fitted the bath and fitted the tile seals tile
the wall
,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On 24 Feb 2006 15:16:03 -0800, "end user"
wrote:

15 stone of body and a full bath dont add up,

Perhaps he meant it was full AFTER he got in ,having calculated how
much water he needed not to let it overflow ..
As for the rudeness..Give it a miss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Ian Maguire wrote:

Can anyone help? Do I fit the bath first then tile? or do I tile then fit
the bath? What are the disadvantages or advatages.

Is there a correct way?

I would go further and suggest you actually chase the edge of the bath
into the wall a little as well. Then tile down to it. That way you add
rigidity to the bath and eliminate any moisture trap between the wall
and the roll edge of the bath.

--
Cheers,

John.

Senior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rumm
Ian Maguire wrote:

Can anyone help? Do I fit the bath first then tile? or do I tile then fit
the bath? What are the disadvantages or advatages.

Is there a correct way?

I would go further and suggest you actually chase the edge of the bath
into the wall a little as well. Then tile down to it. That way you add
rigidity to the bath and eliminate any moisture trap between the wall
and the roll edge of the bath.

--
Cheers,

John.

I always install in this sequence:

1. Install bath on spreaders, levelled and then filled with water
2. Run a good solid deep bead of silicone sealant between bath edge and wall
3. Tile wall.
4. Silicone again along bath edge and tiles.

The first bead acts as an extra protection measure if the bath is to be used as a shower too. Otherwise it is not worth putting in, as if it was to come in to contact with water, then the bath is overflowing anyway!!

Hope this helps!

Tiling a bathroom Lisci UK diy 2 January 11th 05 04:53 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Ceramic tile over ceramic tile Don Home Ownership 1 November 23rd 03 06:34 AM
tile quadrants as bath seal nomit UK diy 2 July 17th 03 01:32 PM