Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who has the oldest, but working, machine?

On 2009-03-14, Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Well ... my lathe is only from 1957, so it does not qualify,
though it is happily working.

My Nichols Horizontal milling machine is much older, though I
can't be sure how much, as I can't find the serial number. The castings
still say "The Whitney", while the brass plates say "Nichols". The line
was bought from Whitney by Nichols somewhen.

Too much to catch up with from two days of
Rec.crafts.metalworking to try to find it on Google.

But there are bound to be even older machines here -- ones which
were run from overhead shafting via flat belts.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Fellows,

I have a Stark No 4 Makers Lathe. I have not attempted to date it, but my
guess
is around 1910. There is a web site on this that I have to check.

I home-brewed a drive train for it; been using it for about 5 years. It sat
in my
Dad's shop "over in the corner" for about 20 years. My brother cut a new
lead
screw for the compound - original was worn out in the middle span - thing
like to
JUMP! .100" at a clip!

Works nice now!

- Cheers, Carl

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their

inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sheldon 11x44 lathe - 1952 I bought it new with Dad.
It is in my shop now. Hope to see Dad next month if the IRS gets
their act together. Three year wait on my RITA refund!

I have hand tools older that are mine. My 1951 electric drill
was scrapped 6 years ago.
Martin

Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32252 wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Well uncles lathe is a bit older 18xx

http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...cleslathe1.jpg
http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...cleslathe2.jpg

That is a muzzleloading barrel he turned down to use as a liner. I hope everyone likes
his steady rest.

He has had this lathe since he was a kid.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

If you're going outside machine tools, I have an 1868 apple peeler.

Damn your grannie is old!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 14, 11:05*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
*...But there are bound to be even older machines here -- ones which
were run from overhead shafting via flat belts.
* * * * * * * * DoN.

I have a small flat-belt horizontal mill that had an electric motor
drive added on, but there are no markings to identify or date it, also
two very small vertical milling machines the seller told me were used
to make fuse mechanisms in WW1. These are solidly built bench
production machines without graduated dials, the operator slides or
rotates the work with a lever between stops. They are still useful to
work to scribed lines or punch marks.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:
I feel sorry for you guys that have to use those old tools! Too bad you
can not afford some new stuff!! ;-)
My oldest tool is is my Delta table saw, a 2000 model IIRC!
Greg

Thanks for feeling sorry for us "old tool users"
there no need.
You see, if like myself you choose to work in a Victorian way ie circa
1850 to 1900 then one needs all ones workshop to be in keeping.
For example I was lucky!! to aquire in 1987 a complete drop stampers
workshop dating from 1851.
that was,
All the tools equipment fly presses dropstamping dies clipping tools
catalogues and price lists.
All the modern tools had gone but there wasnt any need for them.
I made the drop stamp fully transportable, so that I could take it to
for example the Great Dorset Steam fair, and mint a commemorative plaque
FOR the event AT the event.
No one had ever dione this before so it was one of the main attractions.
this event attracts an international following with some 250,000
people over the 5 days.
It was a resounding success, a licence to print money.
So dont feel sorry for us old timers, we not as stupid as we might seem.
Regards
Ted
Dorset
UK
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

My Bridgeport is a 1938 model, serial # 1388. If
Bridgeport started their serials at # 1000,
that's a pretty early machine. I swapped out the
M head for a J head, and converted it to CNC, so
it has been quite altered since I got it. The
Acme screws were quite worn in the middle, so the
ballscrew conversion was a great improvement.

I have a Pexto shear (Really a Peck, Stowe and
Wilcox, from before they contracted their name)
which looks like it never had the holddown clamp.
So, it wouldn't surprise me if it is older than
the mill, but I have no way to know.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:03:32 -0500, Ignoramus32252
wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Well I think some have already posted older but I have some pretty
old still in use machines around here. Some pics are on my web site.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

The compressor which is in the 3/8/4 pics (man it's been a while
since I've had time to update) is pretty old but I've not got a clue
how old. It's water cooled and has a Fordson radiator for cooling. It
was in daily use up until I built my current compressor a year or so
before that pic was taken. I still plan on putting it on a skid and
mount it next to my current compressor as a backup/extra capacity but
round tuits are getting hard to find.

The pics of my machines in the Pratt and Whitney, Sidney, etc folder
has of course my Pratt and Whitney lathe with a war production board
sticker on it (means built during WWII) and the Sidney is old enough
that the Serial number reference book doesn't list it. I generally
guess 1900-1920's but it's hard to tell. Ironically I've added a VFD
to it since that pic was taken. It gives me some more speed range
going up to about 750rpm and down to near zero. I added it so I could
do some shaft building up.

Both of the flat belt drive drill presses are gone now. One got
traded for a large Cincinatti gear drive drill press (#4 morse taper)
and the other got sold to a friend (I still borrow the use of it from
time to time). Welder row is pitifully out of date. Currently it's
much more crowded.

I wish I still had that much room in my shop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

Greg O wrote:
[...]

That would have been interesting to see. Do you have a website with your machines and
handywork on display?

Wes

--

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 15, 4:37*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
My Bridgeport is a 1938 model, serial # 1388. *If
Bridgeport started their serials at # 1000,
that's a pretty early machine. *...

Jon

IIRC the Bridgeport at the American Precision Museum is the first
complete machine delivered, serial number 500.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page15.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:

Greg O wrote:
[...]

Yep,
Google for Ted Frater Bronzesmith and minter,
Somewhat out of date but my CV gives all the minting projects over the
10yr period 1989 to 1999.
Did a lot of other work for a few yers then minted again last year,
2500 hot forged commemrative plaques for the Great Dorset Steam fair
40th anniversary.
This year have already stated on the current minting project.
A few yrs ago found 2 beautiful plaster plaques at a car boot sale.
Identified them last week as being made by Thorwaldsen in 1815,
A danish sculptor. Whilst he was in Rome.
the plaques are a pair.
The first is of Aurora the winged goddes of dawn she is seen
scattering roses as she is ushering the day.
Accompanied by the genius of light a cherubic figue known as Daystsar.
A winged genius known as a protective being.
the second plaque is of night, who is called Nyx.
She carries her twin children called Hypnos the god of sleep and
Thanatos the god of death.

the plaques are in relief and are 5.25ins across the flat background area.
The plan is to comission 3 dies of each reduced to 2.5in ,1.25in and .75in.
Cut in the negative for minting in sterling silver.
these will be used on a ladies dress buckle, a lapel brooch and as a
dress or coat button.
Im doing these to commemorate my 40th yr.
Hope this answers your question Wes.
Ted.

hope this helps.
Ted.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 14, 8:52*am, David Billington
wrote:
Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

I bought a small Bristol compressor some years back, made in Bristol UK,
and when a valve disc failed I called them up and they told me who it
was sold to originally, some company in Fishponds Bristol in about 1938.
They then told me it was obsolete, I kind of suspected that, so I made
my own repair part and the compressor is still in regular service with
at mate as I bought a larger compressor.

I have a guillotine paper cutter ( manual) circa 1920.

Still works just fine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

Google for Ted Frater Bronzesmith and minter,
Somewhat out of date but my CV gives all the minting projects over the
10yr period 1989 to 1999.

Ted,

I see that you forge medallions out of titanium. Could you give us a
thumbnail description of the process?

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne, I always liked the looks of your compressor, it looks like a
beached submarine. The biggest tank I ever handled was a 240 gallon
tank on a duplex Quincy compressor I bought from IL Railroad museum.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

An Adams wood lathe, some time before the turn of the century. For tools
I use often, the Coladay 36" band saw, about 1908. Craftsman band saw
from the thirties, Stark #4, and the youthful SB9C, 1937. The 1947
Hardinge TM is barely broken in, but it has the 1936 Eklind High Speed
Milling attachment to turn to for advice.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Well I think some have already posted older but I have some pretty
old still in use machines around here. Some pics are on my web site.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Glad to see you posting. I figured you belonged in this thread.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Well I think some have already posted older but I have some pretty
old still in use machines around here. Some pics are on my web site.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Glad to see you posting. I figured you belonged in this thread.

Thanks. I don't always have time to post anymore. It's not as bad as
it was but I'm still behind trying to catch up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Hendey 12" nominal (swings 14-1/4) engine lathe, made sometime before
they started adding the headstock overbar in the '20s...
http://home.comcast.net/~glyford/lathe/Hendey-6.jpg
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:

Google for Ted Frater Bronzesmith and minter,
Somewhat out of date but my CV gives all the minting projects over
the 10yr period 1989 to 1999.

Ted,

I see that you forge medallions out of titanium. Could you give us a
thumbnail description of the process?

Kevin Gallimore

Apologies if theres a misunderstanding.
Medallions in titanium isprobably impossible. As Ive not used that
metal for medals.
However Ivemade lots of bowls and dishes from it as well as finger
rings bracelets and necklaces.
All my titanium is 99.9% pure, I dont use any of he high strength alloys.
All forging is done cold using hammers of various heads and weights.
For example the bracelets are made from 1mm thick sheet, and hammered
with polished heads in polished steel stakes.

Being commercially pure and fully annealed it can be cold worked to a
considerable extent befor it becomes unmanageable.
The necklaces are a combination of flat pieces and turned and tapered rod.
Finger rings are fused from strip or rod via tungsten inert shielded arc
welding process.
The bowls are up to 18in dia and 1/4in thick.
Take some forging!!
However whats more difficult is getting it all polished up to a mirror
finish.
then its coloured by heating in a pottery kiln
in an oxidising atmosphere.

Hope tis helps
Ted
Dorset
UK

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

Hope this answers your question Wes.

I enjoyed looking at some of your work. Thank you.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Well I think some have already posted older but I have some pretty
old still in use machines around here. Some pics are on my web site.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Glad to see you posting. I figured you belonged in this thread.

Thanks. I don't always have time to post anymore. It's not as bad as
it was but I'm still behind trying to catch up.

So, was your Abene originally green? Mine (dated 1970) came in a light gray

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ted Frater" wrote in message
Greg O wrote:
I feel sorry for you guys that have to use those old tools! Too bad you
can not afford some new stuff!! ;-)
My oldest tool is is my Delta table saw, a 2000 model IIRC!
Greg

Thanks for feeling sorry for us "old tool users"
there no need.

I am sure you know I was just joking. I wish I had more room, time, and
money to appreciate old hardware myself.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:
"Ted Frater" wrote in message
Greg O wrote:
I feel sorry for you guys that have to use those old tools! Too bad
you can not afford some new stuff!! ;-)
My oldest tool is is my Delta table saw, a 2000 model IIRC!
Greg

Thanks for feeling sorry for us "old tool users"
there no need.

I am sure you know I was just joking. I wish I had more room, time, and
money to appreciate old hardware myself.
Greg

Funnily, no,
I thought you were being serious!!.
As to space,
well, it was in 1970/71 I moved to a derelict small farm, with about 5
acres.
the cottage as we call it here in the UK hadnt been lived in for some
20 yrs.
As it was made from cob thats earth clay and straw mixed walls with a
straw roof on round poles the front weatherfacing (southwest) roof had
completly gone, the front wall once allowed to get wet had fallen out
and the rest was on its way.
They wouldnt sell it, but the owner offered me a repairing lease ,ie
you make good the house and you can live there for 20 yrs for 2 dollars
or £1.00 a year. A win for both of us.
The land owner gave me a free hand so I did him a good job.
Nice to be trusted!!.
Space was what I wanted, so I took it on, in 1972 I rebuilt the house
and aquired a generator, 2.5kva piped a small spring for water
repaired the old cow and pig stalls into workshops and have been here
ever since.
No neibours for 2 miles and the space to do what I whant how I want.
All those yrs ago no one wanted it, it was too much work. Now, however,
everyone wants it.
After the 20 yrs ran out , time of reckoning!.however, by then we had
registered thefarm with the Ministry of Agriculture and fisheries and
were therefore under UK law tennants for life. As yet no succession
rights for the children.
Still on spring water,No chlorine ! and generators.
Nice being quite independent for everything,
Tho we still have to pay local taxes like other houses.
Ted
Dorset
UK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:25:52 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Well I think some have already posted older but I have some pretty
old still in use machines around here. Some pics are on my web site.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Glad to see you posting. I figured you belonged in this thread.

Thanks. I don't always have time to post anymore. It's not as bad as
it was but I'm still behind trying to catch up.

So, was your Abene originally green? Mine (dated 1970) came in a light gray

As far as I can tell that's the original color. I believe mines
slightly newer than yours but not much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 06:56:17 +0000, Ted Frater
wrote:

Greg O wrote:
"Ted Frater" wrote in message
Greg O wrote:
[...]

I thought that your locale sounded familiar, independence is the spice
of life!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks. I don't always have time to post anymore. It's not as bad as
it was but I'm still behind trying to catch up.

So, was your Abene originally green? Mine (dated 1970) came in a light gray

Mine is also a light gray.

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks. I don't always have time to post anymore. It's not as bad as
it was but I'm still behind trying to catch up.

So, was your Abene originally green? Mine (dated 1970) came in a light gray

Mine is also a light gray.

Gunner

Good to hear from you. I had gotten the idea that you had been
hit by another medical problem recently.

Best of luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks. I don't always have time to post anymore. It's not as bad as
it was but I'm still behind trying to catch up.

So, was your Abene originally green? Mine (dated 1970) came in a light gray

Mine is also a light gray.

Gunner

Good to hear from you. I had gotten the idea that you had been
hit by another medical problem recently.

Best of luck,
DoN.

The 3 way bypass on Jan 21 was ok...the stroke a week ago last
Thrusday was the worst.

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-22, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 21 Mar 2009 20:29:38 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Good to hear from you. I had gotten the idea that you had been
hit by another medical problem recently.

[ ... ]

The 3 way bypass on Jan 21 was ok...the stroke a week ago last
Thrusday was the worst.

Ouch! If it weren't for hard luck, you wouldn't have any luck
at all.

By the fact that you are typing reasonably clearly, it was not
near as bad a stroke as the one which hit my father some years ago.

Best of luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564