Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who has the oldest, but working, machine?

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Haha! My newest machine is my Delta bandsaw, which is, I think, 1958. My
Walker Turner drill press is 1953. My SB lathe is 1945. My surface grinder
(still runs, but I'm not using it) is 1926. My knee mill (same -- runs, but
I'm not running it) is a Taylor & Fenn, 1917.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--

Wells bandsaw from the late '30's, delta shaper from the 40's, old drill
press evidently converted from shaft drive, vintage press from a furniture

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-14, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Haha! My newest machine is my Delta bandsaw, which is, I think, 1958. My
Walker Turner drill press is 1953. My SB lathe is 1945. My surface grinder
(still runs, but I'm not using it) is 1926. My knee mill (same -- runs, but
I'm not running it) is a Taylor & Fenn, 1917.

1917, wow. Older than my grandmother.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32252 wrote:

1917, wow. Older than my grandmother.

Mine quit aging. Sure miss her. Old bat.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

I have an old Heald internal grinder that I converted to motorized operation
that dates back to1911. It originally was driven by a belt from an external
power shaft. A customer of mine has a vertical boring mill from 1881.
Probably made parts for the spanish american war.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
I've got a slab cut out of the paddlewheel of the Steamboat Delta Queen.
Does that count?

Bob Swinney

That's pretty cool, but not as cool as a piece of the true cross. I remember
as a kid wondering if someone took the true cross and cut it up into tiny
pieces to distribute as relics.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" wrote in message

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
I've got a slab cut out of the paddlewheel of the Steamboat Delta Queen.
Does that count?

Bob Swinney

That's pretty cool, but not as cool as a piece of the true cross. I
remember as a kid wondering if someone took the true cross and cut it up
into tiny pieces to distribute as relics.....

OK, OK I claim the prize - I have a rock - about 3.5 billion years old. It
smashes ox heads as well as when it was new.....

......your turn.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--

The shop I used to work at had a Seneca Falls lathe like advertised on the
Wendy's tables. Last time I visited, within the last year or so, it was

I ran it several times, it was a very good running lathe.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--

The shop I used to work at had a Seneca Falls lathe like advertised on the
Wendy's tables. Last time I visited, within the last year or so, it was
still in use.
It looked like this:
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/advert/ax11.htm
Except the treadle was replaced with a motor.

I ran it several times, it was a very good running lathe.

RogerN

Contest 250 ton coining press 1960
Ive A Le blond Royal !5 by 30in from 1942 age confirmed by the factory.
A 15kw 230v ac Lister JP3 1000rpm ex WD diesel generator 1941.
Then a Denbigh pllar drill belt drivefrom 1930.
Cavalry regiment shoeing portable forge from 1918 inc anvil.
Hazelwood and Dent Birmingham 1889 drop hammers 4cwts hammer
Ditto 1880 275lbs hammer
Ditto 1860 60 lbs hammer.
Drop stamping dies, catalogues and price lists from 1851.
2 ton unnamed rack drawbench circa 1850
Silversmiths T stake from 1800
Various wrought iron smiths leg vices from 1800.
A smiths hammer from approx 1700 tho the design is Roman,
All in good working order, and used regularly.
Lots of Millers Falls hand tools from 1900 0nwards

Latest aquisition, 4 tons of Archangel Russian red pine boards
1.3in thick, by 7in wide by 5 to 8ft long complete with original wrought
iron nails in the boards. Came from the Brighton Pullman carriage
sheds built in 1890
Boards and nails recover well.
Tyzak spindle moulder circa 1930
9in planer circa 1920
Joiners 6ft high band saw from 1920
Lots of victorian Stanley and Record planes
A collection of rosewood handled hand tools Victorian.Pre 1900
Been collecting and using for 40 yrs.
Thats without listing our domestic equipment thats for another day.
Ted
Dorset
UK,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

I have a :"Lebeig" brush machine that we use to repair wooden handle wire
brushes. It staple-sets one hole at a time and the operator eyeballs the
alignment, presses a foot petal that engages a leather cone clutch. It was
built in Germany in 1893 and was a quantum leap in technology. Before that,
workers had to tie each tuft in place with fine brass wire.

I win!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:03:32 -0500, Ignoramus32252
wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

My little Gardner Denver 2CFM compressor has no identification other
than casting numbers and a serial number (57 316) which may indicate
1957. I have had no luck coming up with any information. I paid $3 for
the compressor, ~$70 for controls, and $0.50 for a motor to run it Not
a sand blasting outfit, but it sure is handy to have a bit of
compressed air!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, half cheating here, as I don't have it anymore, but I did have a
Wilmarth and Morman surface grinder. Don't know the age, but it was very
likely designed originally for line shaft drive, with a bolt on cast
angle bracket on the back for an electric motor. I would guess it dates
to somewhere prior to 1920 based on images from my 1920 William E. Duff
Co. machinery catalog. I sold it to a local that had it entirely
rescraped and repainted, then never used it. It's still sitting in the
corner of their shop keeping dust off the floor.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

My Boley Standard watchmakers lathe was first sold in 1895, I am the third
owner.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"ATP*" wrote in message

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
I've got a slab cut out of the paddlewheel of the Steamboat Delta Queen.
Does that count?

Bob Swinney

That's pretty cool, but not as cool as a piece of the true cross. I
remember as a kid wondering if someone took the true cross and cut it up
into tiny pieces to distribute as relics.....

OK, OK I claim the prize - I have a rock - about 3.5 billion years old.
It smashes ox heads as well as when it was new.....

.....your turn.....

Harumph! Not a machine, but I have a meteorite that's as old as the solar
system...........or more!

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

I have a :"Lebeig" brush machine that we use to repair wooden handle wire
brushes. It staple-sets one hole at a time and the operator eyeballs the
alignment, presses a foot petal that engages a leather cone clutch. It
was built in Germany in 1893 and was a quantum leap in technology. Before
that, workers had to tie each tuft in place with fine brass wire.

I win!

2 years older than my lathe!

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Yes. Me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve R." wrote in message

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

My Boley Standard watchmakers lathe was first sold in 1895, I am the third
owner.

Steve R.

I might get you yet! I'll have to check my small lathe, I can only guess
the actual age but there's a list of patent dates on a brass plate. Can I
assume the mfg. date is the newest patent, or would that be cheating? It
was overhead leather belt driven but somebody put a Reeves drive on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Yes. Me.

I think he means "functioning" machines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a :"Lebeig" brush machine that we use to repair wooden handle wire
brushes. It staple-sets one hole at a time and the operator eyeballs the
alignment, presses a foot petal that engages a leather cone clutch. It
was built in Germany in 1893 and was a quantum leap in technology. Before
that, workers had to tie each tuft in place with fine brass wire.

I win!

If you're going outside machine tools, I have an 1868 apple peeler.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 21:21:27 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus32252 wrote:

1917, wow. Older than my grandmother.

Mine quit aging. Sure miss her. Old bat.

Mine, too. She was 29 years old for more than thrice that length of
time, finally giving up the ghost at age 96.

This old bat knew Vic Tanny and was doing his exercises daily, well up
into her 90s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Tanny

Her hubby (who died before I was born) owned 5 car lots in L.A. when
the Crash hit, losing 4 of them at that time. She taught people how
to drive before they were even requiring licenses to drive. And when
one of his clients said he couldn't afford to lose his truck, Grandpa
Harry accepted a small gas station way out of town as payment. Nana
sold that old lot for a third of a mil in 1976. It turns out that "way
out of town" in '29 was somewhere on Foothill Blvd. in the Seventies,
easily within the Metro area. 'Arry got a good deal, wot?

She was also a pilot. She lost her plane when she loaned it to a
businessman friend who said the engine died over Lake Tahoe and sunk
to the bottom.

She was a fiesty old cat and I loved her dearly. RIP, Edna Mae/Nana.

Smoothly swinging back onto topic, my Davis and Wells machine tool,
Dina, was born nearby in Hollywood in 1920. Dina is a table saur.

--
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 03:13:31 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Steve R." wrote in message

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

My Boley Standard watchmakers lathe was first sold in 1895, I am the third
owner.

I might get you yet! I'll have to check my small lathe, I can only guess
the actual age but there's a list of patent dates on a brass plate. Can I
assume the mfg. date is the newest patent, or would that be cheating? It
was overhead leather belt driven but somebody put a Reeves drive on it.

What about your 50T treadle press, Tawm? It's an oldie, isn't it?

--
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
--Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 00:58:58 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

Yes. Me.

He said "working", Don, not "faffing." gd&r

--
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
--Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

I bought a small Bristol compressor some years back, made in Bristol UK,
and when a valve disc failed I called them up and they told me who it
was sold to originally, some company in Fishponds Bristol in about 1938.
They then told me it was obsolete, I kind of suspected that, so I made
my own repair part and the compressor is still in regular service with
at mate as I bought a larger compressor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-14, Buerste wrote:

"Steve R." wrote in message

"Ignoramus32252" wrote in message
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

My Boley Standard watchmakers lathe was first sold in 1895, I am the third
owner.

Steve R.

I might get you yet! I'll have to check my small lathe, I can only guess
the actual age but there's a list of patent dates on a brass plate. Can I
assume the mfg. date is the newest patent, or would that be cheating? It
was overhead leather belt driven but somebody put a Reeves drive on it.

I think that last patent date is a good start, go ahead and tell us.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-14, Steve R. wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"ATP*" wrote in message

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
I've got a slab cut out of the paddlewheel of the Steamboat Delta Queen.
Does that count?

Bob Swinney

That's pretty cool, but not as cool as a piece of the true cross. I
remember as a kid wondering if someone took the true cross and cut it up
into tiny pieces to distribute as relics.....

OK, OK I claim the prize - I have a rock - about 3.5 billion years old.
It smashes ox heads as well as when it was new.....

.....your turn.....

Harumph! Not a machine, but I have a meteorite that's as old as the solar
system...........or more!

I have a bunch of atoms in my steel scrap pile, they are as old as the
universe.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-14, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

I bought a small Bristol compressor some years back, made in Bristol UK,
and when a valve disc failed I called them up and they told me who it
was sold to originally, some company in Fishponds Bristol in about 1938.
They then told me it was obsolete, I kind of suspected that, so I made
my own repair part and the compressor is still in regular service with
at mate as I bought a larger compressor.

A while ago I fixed a Champion compressor from 1930s as well.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I feel sorry for you guys that have to use those old tools! Too bad you can
not afford some new stuff!! ;-)
My oldest tool is is my Delta table saw, a 2000 model IIRC!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snort. Not even close, Iggy. I have working lathes circa 1880. Babbitt
bearings, flat belt drive, the works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-14, Greg O wrote:
I feel sorry for you guys that have to use those old tools! Too bad you can
not afford some new stuff!! ;-)
My oldest tool is is my Delta table saw, a 2000 model IIRC!

I like the "coolness" effect of some old stuff, like this 1951
compressor. This is assuming that the tool in question is doing a good
job.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-14, Ecnerwal wrote:

Snort. Not even close, Iggy. I have working lathes circa 1880. Babbitt
bearings, flat belt drive, the works.

Post some pictures!

If you do not have a website, I can put them on my site if you email
them to me.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

1913 Brown & Sharpe Universal Mill in excellent shape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-14, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

I bought a small Bristol compressor some years back, made in Bristol UK,
and when a valve disc failed I called them up and they told me who it
was sold to originally, some company in Fishponds Bristol in about 1938.
They then told me it was obsolete, I kind of suspected that, so I made
my own repair part and the compressor is still in regular service with
at mate as I bought a larger compressor.

A while ago I fixed a Champion compressor from 1930s as well.

--

Another question would be who has the oldest working machine still supported
by the manufacturer. Giddings and Lewis is still selling parts for drill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11807" wrote in
message ...
On 2009-03-14, David Billington
wrote:
Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

I bought a small Bristol compressor some years back, made in
Bristol UK, and when a valve disc failed I called them up and they
told me who it was sold to originally, some company in Fishponds
Bristol in about 1938. They then told me it was obsolete, I kind of
suspected that, so I made my own repair part and the compressor is
still in regular service with at mate as I bought a larger
compressor.

A while ago I fixed a Champion compressor from 1930s as well.

--

Another question would be who has the oldest working machine still
supported by the manufacturer. Giddings and Lewis is still selling
parts for drill presses back to the 1930's and Wells still has parts
for all of their bandsaw models.

And Logan still has an excellent catalog of parts for lathes dating back
into the mid-forties .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-14, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus32252 wrote:
My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

I bought a small Bristol compressor some years back, made in Bristol UK,
and when a valve disc failed I called them up and they told me who it
was sold to originally, some company in Fishponds Bristol in about 1938.
They then told me it was obsolete, I kind of suspected that, so I made
my own repair part and the compressor is still in regular service with
at mate as I bought a larger compressor.

A while ago I fixed a Champion compressor from 1930s as well.

--

Another question would be who has the oldest working machine still supported
by the manufacturer. Giddings and Lewis is still selling parts for drill
presses back to the 1930's and Wells still has parts for all of their
bandsaw models.

Quincy has some parts for my model 340 pump, as well. They still make
it, but in a different revision.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:21:09 -0400, ATP* wrote:

Another question would be who has the oldest working machine still supported
by the manufacturer. Giddings and Lewis is still selling parts for drill
presses back to the 1930's and Wells still has parts for all of their
bandsaw models.

There's a book I read a while ago about the restoration of the gardens at
Heligan. My recollection is that they discovered a set of water rams had
been installed in 1880 - long since lost, and when found, were in a chamber
under eighteen feet of mud. On excavation, the company that had originally
supplied them (still in business) was contacted; the company's paperwork
was consulted, and then details of the pumps installed were provided to the
customer and they were told that yes, spare parts were still available.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:03:32 -0500, Ignoramus32252 wrote:

My compressor, which works, was made in 1951. Does anyone have
anything made earlier, that is in working condition?

B&S Model 0 horizontal mill, patent 1896. Also have a vertical attachement
for it, but that looks somewhat more recent.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Jacobs drill chuck patented in 1902. Except fot the diamond
knurling it looks like a modern one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
I have a Jacobs drill chuck patented in 1902. Except fot the diamond
knurling it looks like a modern one.

well, if a drill chuck counts, I have a Miller Falls chuck sitting next to
me that is dated 1898 (anyone want it? - contact me if you do via my web
site, www.wbnoble.com) it is vaguely like a modern chuck but the jaws are a
different shape and there is no spring