Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

A data point...

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus877 wrote:

A data point...

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

Thanks,
BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:55:44 -0500, Ignoramus877

A data point...

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 05:34:04 -0700 (PDT), Glenn Lyford
wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

Gunner

OK, given the G, we'll assume a certain amount of chain yanking. He
should have 14.7 PSIA or so.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

What does your pressure gauge show when your compressor tank is open,
0 or 14.7?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26567 writes:

What does your pressure gauge show when your compressor tank is open,
0 or 14.7?

How much pressure does an open tank hold, if you say atmospheric pressure
is zero?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BobH wrote:
Ignoramus877 wrote:

A data point...

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

Thanks,
BobH

Quincy QR-25 Model 390, 15hp motor, tank opened until guage read 0.
200 gallon tank. Exit valve closed, so this is only the tank.
20psi = 26s
40psi = 60s
60psi = 1:34
80psi = 2:10
100psi = 2:47
120psi = 3:24
125psi = 3:34

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also
equates to about 139.6 PSIA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.
How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?
I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also
equates to about 139.6 PSIA.

Gunner, stop teasing these guys! G

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:28:19 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.
How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?
I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford
But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also
equates to about 139.6 PSIA.

Gunner, stop teasing these guys! G

Bob

G Charector flaw of mine...G

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Todd Rich wrote:
(snip)
Quincy QR-25 Model 390, 15hp motor, tank opened until guage read 0.
200 gallon tank. Exit valve closed, so this is only the tank.
20psi = 26s
40psi = 60s
60psi = 1:34
80psi = 2:10
100psi = 2:47
120psi = 3:24
125psi = 3:34

What? I didn't even get a "You suck!" out of this?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

you suck. I am very envious. Not that I could use that kind of CFM.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote:
Ignoramus26567 writes:

What does your pressure gauge show when your compressor tank is open,
0 or 14.7?

How much pressure does an open tank hold, if you say atmospheric pressure
is zero?

Zero, of course; pressure is measured as a differential, just like voltage.

Now, if you take that empty tank at zero pressure, cap it up, and fling it
into space, *then* it will be at 14.7 PSI.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-13, Jon Danniken wrote:
Now, if you take that empty tank at zero pressure, cap it up, and fling it
into space, *then* it will be at 14.7 PSI.

Then you can start the compressor in "space" and see how quickly it
will pump up the tank.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken writes:

How much pressure does an open tank hold, if you say atmospheric
pressure is zero?

Zero, of course;

No, it still holds 1 atm. Saying it is zero doesn't make it so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." writes:

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also
equates to about 139.6 PSIA.

What's that in hectopascals?

--
A host is a host from coast to

Compressor -- the pump is likely 7.5 HP as Wayne said Ignoramus20633 Metalworking 21 June 17th 08 11:26 AM
Time to fill air compressor tank, ? standards? powerdoc Home Repair 5 November 4th 07 07:39 PM
Heat Pump vs Compressor Bob Simon Home Repair 14 October 22nd 06 02:10 PM
Old compressor pump...what was I thinking?? mlcorson Metalworking 9 December 7th 05 12:50 AM
Conan the Compressor - Vacuum Pump Possible? surftom Metalworking 4 November 8th 03 02:40 AM