DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Compressor pump-up time (BobH) (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/273003-compressor-pump-up-time-bobh.html)

Ignoramus877 March 10th 09 01:55 AM

Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

A data point...

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Gunner Asch[_4_] March 10th 09 11:10 AM

Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:55:44 -0500, Ignoramus877

A data point...

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*

Glenn Lyford March 10th 09 12:34 PM

Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

Gunner Asch[_4_] March 10th 09 06:18 PM

Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 05:34:04 -0700 (PDT), Glenn Lyford
wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

Pete Keillor March 10th 09 06:42 PM

Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

Gunner

OK, given the G, we'll assume a certain amount of chain yanking. He
should have 14.7 PSIA or so.

Pete Keillor

Ignoramus26567 March 10th 09 06:47 PM

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

What does your pressure gauge show when your compressor tank is open,
0 or 14.7?

Calif Bill March 10th 09 08:56 PM

Richard J Kinch March 10th 09 09:47 PM

Ignoramus26567 writes:

What does your pressure gauge show when your compressor tank is open,
0 or 14.7?

How much pressure does an open tank hold, if you say atmospheric pressure
is zero?

Todd Rich March 11th 09 12:22 AM

BobH wrote:
Ignoramus877 wrote:

A data point...

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

Thanks,
BobH

Quincy QR-25 Model 390, 15hp motor, tank opened until guage read 0.
200 gallon tank. Exit valve closed, so this is only the tank.
20psi = 26s
40psi = 60s
60psi = 1:34
80psi = 2:10
100psi = 2:47
120psi = 3:24
125psi = 3:34

Pete C. March 11th 09 04:31 AM

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also
equates to about 139.6 PSIA.

Bob Engelhardt March 11th 09 04:28 PM

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.
How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?
I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also
equates to about 139.6 PSIA.

Gunner, stop teasing these guys! G

Bob

Gunner Asch[_4_] March 11th 09 06:29 PM

Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:28:19 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

wrote:

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses
(150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.
How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?
I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford
But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also
equates to about 139.6 PSIA.

Gunner, stop teasing these guys! G

Bob

G Charector flaw of mine...G

Todd Rich March 12th 09 05:06 PM

Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

Todd Rich wrote:
(snip)
Quincy QR-25 Model 390, 15hp motor, tank opened until guage read 0.
200 gallon tank. Exit valve closed, so this is only the tank.
20psi = 26s
40psi = 60s
60psi = 1:34
80psi = 2:10
100psi = 2:47
120psi = 3:24
125psi = 3:34

What? I didn't even get a "You suck!" out of this?

Ignoramus20387 March 12th 09 05:59 PM

Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

you suck. I am very envious. Not that I could use that kind of CFM.

Jon Danniken[_2_] March 13th 09 12:33 PM

"Richard J Kinch" wrote:
Ignoramus26567 writes:

What does your pressure gauge show when your compressor tank is open,
0 or 14.7?

How much pressure does an open tank hold, if you say atmospheric pressure
is zero?

Zero, of course; pressure is measured as a differential, just like voltage.

Now, if you take that empty tank at zero pressure, cap it up, and fling it
into space, *then* it will be at 14.7 PSI.

Jon

Ignoramus32252 March 13th 09 01:02 PM

On 2009-03-13, Jon Danniken wrote:
Now, if you take that empty tank at zero pressure, cap it up, and fling it
into space, *then* it will be at 14.7 PSI.

Then you can start the compressor in "space" and see how quickly it
will pump up the tank.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Richard J Kinch March 13th 09 10:01 PM

Jon Danniken writes:

How much pressure does an open tank hold, if you say atmospheric
pressure is zero?

Zero, of course;

No, it still holds 1 atm. Saying it is zero doesn't make it so.

David Lesher April 4th 09 12:38 AM

"Pete C." writes:

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some
don't...
--Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also
equates to about 139.6 PSIA.

What's that in hectopascals?

--
A host is a host from coast to