Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time to fill air compressor tank, ? standards?

I recently purchased a used compressor and when I cranked it up the
first time it seemed to take longer than I expected to reach a full
tank @ 100psi. My prior compressor did have a smaller tank but also
had a smaller compressor size. Are there any standards of how fast a
compressor that does about 10 scfa/m @90psi should take to fill a 25
gal tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 7:05 pm, powerdoc wrote:
I recently purchased a used compressor and when I cranked it up the
first time it seemed to take longer than I expected to reach a full
tank @ 100psi. My prior compressor did have a smaller tank but also
had a smaller compressor size. Are there any standards of how fast a
compressor that does about 10 scfa/m @90psi should take to fill a 25
gal tank?

25 gallons is 3.34 cubic feet.

What's "scfa"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

powerdoc writes:

Are there any standards of how fast a
compressor that does about 10 scfa/m @90psi should take to fill a 25
gal tank?

No. Purely a function of horsepower versus tank size, which are
independent variables.

http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

powerdoc writes:

Are there any standards of how fast a
compressor that does about 10 scfa/m @90psi should take to fill a 25
gal tank?

Sorry, I didn't see you specified the cfm and tank volume.

Time to fill should be approximately:

Volume * pressure in atm / volume rate, or

25 gal x 0.137 cu ft per gallon * 90 psi / 14.7 psi ambient / 10 cu ft per
minute = 2.1 minutes.

So it should take several minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks! This is about what it's doing; First 240 v compressor I'd had
so I really expected it to be speedier. Good URL reference

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, next saga of the Black Max compressor. Didn't seem to be
working quite right, still, and I took off the felt air filter and
could feel some air coming out of the port not just being sucked in so
I figure the reed plate is toasting. Took off the head; cylinder
walls look good so I'm getting a new reed plate. Now If I could just
figure out how to get off all that old gasket material!.