Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Update 1 -- Gas dryer broke, tumbles but does not dry.

Ignoramus32468 wrote:

Just a little update. I opened up the case. The ignitor is fine.

Did you ohm it out?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus32468 wrote:

Just a little update. I opened up the case. The ignitor is fine.

Did you ohm it out?

No, but I it looked great and it did glow.

It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Put the front cover back on, turned the dryer on, and to my amazement
it started working! (with a few things missing on the dryer). It
produced heat and worked, which I made sure of with my wife holding
the front cover and going outside to check that the exhaust was hot.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 9, 7:09*am, Ignoramus877

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating

Take a look at this:
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...yer/gdryer.php

I had this problem in my dryer and it was a gas valve solenoid. I
pulled the old one and took it over to a parts dealer. When I walked
in, the guy saw it in my hand, went in the back and brought out a new
one without saying a word. Apparently, the replace a LOT of these.

p.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 06:09:31 -0500, Ignoramus877

On 2009-03-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus32468 wrote:

Just a little update. I opened up the case. The ignitor is fine.

Did you ohm it out?

No, but I it looked great and it did glow.

It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Put the front cover back on, turned the dryer on, and to my amazement
it started working! (with a few things missing on the dryer). It
produced heat and worked, which I made sure of with my wife holding
the front cover and going outside to check that the exhaust was hot.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

So now you know the igniter and gas solenoids are o.k. Somebody,
maybe Brian Lawson, mentioned checking all the safety interlocks.
That'd be my next guess, and you have clues based on what was
disconnected when it worked.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus32468 wrote:

Just a little update. I opened up the case. The ignitor is fine.

Did you ohm it out?

No, but I it looked great and it did glow.

It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Put the front cover back on, turned the dryer on, and to my amazement
it started working! (with a few things missing on the dryer). It
produced heat and worked, which I made sure of with my wife holding
the front cover and going outside to check that the exhaust was hot.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

Connectors, it's always connectors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus32468 wrote:

Just a little update. I opened up the case. The ignitor is fine.

Did you ohm it out?

No, but I it looked great and it did glow.

It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Put the front cover back on, turned the dryer on, and to my amazement
it started working! (with a few things missing on the dryer). It
produced heat and worked, which I made sure of with my wife holding
the front cover and going outside to check that the exhaust was hot.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

Safety interlock.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-09, Steve W. wrote:
It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

Safety interlock.

The safety interlock would prevent it from even spinning?
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus32468 wrote:

Just a little update. I opened up the case. The ignitor is fine.

Did you ohm it out?

No, but I it looked great and it did glow.

It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Put the front cover back on, turned the dryer on, and to my amazement
it started working! (with a few things missing on the dryer). It
produced heat and worked, which I made sure of with my wife holding
the front cover and going outside to check that the exhaust was hot.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

Connectors, it's always connectors.

I do also think that there is some poor contact somewhere that stops
working if I tighten the screws on that burner.

What I will do tonight is I will try to slowly return to the state
where I was when the dryer worked, and will try to note the one thing
tha would change it from working to non-working.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 13:13:02 -0500, Ignoramus877
wrote:

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

Connectors, it's always connectors.

I do also think that there is some poor contact somewhere that stops
working if I tighten the screws on that burner.

What I will do tonight is I will try to slowly return to the state
where I was when the dryer worked, and will try to note the one thing
tha would change it from working to non-working.

This is called the BFH Effect.

Smack it with a hammer and see what starts or stops working

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-09, Steve W. wrote:
It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

Safety interlock.

The safety interlock would prevent it from even spinning?
--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

the gas valve is opened by the current through the igniter, so if it is
going bad they get intermittent also the coils on the valve fail. if the
dryer is a few years old i would change the igniter first because it is
cheaper then if you still have problems change the coils. there should be a
schematic in the control panel on the dryer, if you have that and a clamp on
amp meter you can check the igniter current

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus877 wrote:

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Put the front cover back on, turned the dryer on, and to my amazement
it started working!

This points to the globar. The globar functions as both an igniter and
NTC resistor in series with the gas solenoid coils. One of the failure
modes I have experienced was the globar, while hot and glowing orange,
did not drop enough in resistance to allow enough current through the
solenoid coils. It is less likely that the solenoid coil itself could be
intermittent.

I have found any appliance schematic I looked for online and downloadable.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-09, Steve W. wrote:
It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

Safety interlock.

The safety interlock would prevent it from even spinning?

If it is the door switch or the load switch YES.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 07:09:42 -0600, the infamous "Pete C."
scrawled the following:

On 2009-03-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus32468 wrote:

Just a little update. I opened up the case. The ignitor is fine.

Did you ohm it out?

No, but I it looked great and it did glow.

It is very strange.

I took out the igniter, inspected it, found to look good and put
back. Saw it glow.

Put the front cover back on, turned the dryer on, and to my amazement
it started working! (with a few things missing on the dryer). It
produced heat and worked, which I made sure of with my wife holding
the front cover and going outside to check that the exhaust was hot.

Then I properly replaced all parts and covers, put back the screws
holding the ignoirot and burner assy, and reassembled the machine, and
it stopped working and I was back to square one.

I think that it is trying to tell me something. The answer is
somewhere very close.

Connectors, it's always connectors.

Except when the connectors are connecting to a bad switch. I've even
seen an apparently bad switch which turned out to be a short harness
that put too much strain on the connectors. Moving the harness fixed
it.

--
The wealth required by nature is limited and is easy to procure;
but the wealth required by vain ideals extends to infinity.