Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing air filter on a compressor

I have an intake air filter on a compressor. Got a new one to replace
this one. My problem is that I am completely stumped as to how to
remove the old filter, as the gap between the filter body and the
compressor is not wide enough to insert a pipe wrench. I must be
missing something very patently obvious.

Picture of the filter is here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quin...essor-0023.jpg

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:34:46 -0600, Ignoramus25439 wrote:

I have an intake air filter on a compressor. Got a new one to replace
this one. My problem is that I am completely stumped as to how to
remove the old filter, as the gap between the filter body and the
compressor is not wide enough to insert a pipe wrench. I must be
missing something very patently obvious.

Picture of the filter is here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quin...essor-0023.jpg

My old Kellogg-American had a similiar filter housing, I could remove it
with a strap wrench. But this may not apply to yours.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task.

I think that I have enough clearance to weld a steel bar to the pipe
and use that for leverage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25439" wrote in message
I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task.

I think that I have enough clearance to weld a steel bar to the pipe
and use that for leverage.

Looks like an oil filter wrench might work as well. But a strap wrench is a
good investment also. You will use one more than you realize.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25439 wrote:
I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task. ...

Ah, but once you have one, you'll find uses for it G. For instance -
I use mine to remove my lathe chucks. I reject the idea of putting the
key in its socket and pulling. Keys & sockets shouldn't be used for that.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-23, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus25439 wrote:
I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task. ...

Ah, but once you have one, you'll find uses for it G. For instance -
I use mine to remove my lathe chucks. I reject the idea of putting the
key in its socket and pulling. Keys & sockets shouldn't be used for that.

My lathe chuck mounts differently, but you have a point. Looks like a
good one should cost around $100?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25439 wrote:
I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task.

I think that I have enough clearance to weld a steel bar to the pipe
and use that for leverage.

One thing to try is to use a auto timing belt wrapped around the can and
use a mole wrench, vise grip in the US, to clamp the belt loop close to
the can and lever using the wrench. Works well for most items I've tried
it on unless really seized. A good reason to save old timing belts as
the are tough and can be used to drag things about also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Elliot G wrote:

"Ignoramus25439" wrote in message
I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task.

I think that I have enough clearance to weld a steel bar to the pipe
and use that for leverage.

Looks like an oil filter wrench might work as well. But a strap wrench is a
good investment also. You will use one more than you realize.

Or, on the oil filter wrench theme, as with an oil filter, if you don't
have a wrench and aren't reusing the filter, just hammer a screwdriver
through the filter and be done with it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task.

make one. An old automotive timing belt works great. Pull it tight around
the item to be turned, clamp it with ends of teeth of vise-grip and twist in
direction of the rounded top jaw. I save old belts for all kinds of jobs.
Screwing it to a 2x4 also works well, just round off the top where it
presses the object, but it's not adjustable.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25439 wrote:
... Looks like a good one should cost around $100?

I've had mine a long time, so I've forgotten the cost ... $10 - 20 I'd
guess. As to whether it's a "good one", I dunno. Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have successfully used a nylon tie-down strap and a piece of pipe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-23, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus25439 wrote:
I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task. ...

Ah, but once you have one, you'll find uses for it G. For instance -
I use mine to remove my lathe chucks. I reject the idea of putting the
key in its socket and pulling. Keys & sockets shouldn't be used for that.

My lathe chuck mounts differently, but you have a point. Looks like a
good one should cost around $100?

This is a 'good enough' one for $5.00:
I use them in the kitchen for opening jars as well.

--Winston

--

Welds made for grinding.
Faces made for USENET.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston fired this volley in news:gnvbgs01fj2
@news1.newsguy.com:

Keys & sockets shouldn't be used for that.

But have, endlessly, forever since there have been keyed chucks.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have an intake air filter on a compressor. Got a new one to replace
this one. My problem is that I am completely stumped as to how to
remove the old filter, as the gap between the filter body and the
compressor is not wide enough to insert a pipe wrench. I must be
missing something very patently obvious.

Picture of the filter is here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quin...essor-0023.jpg

See
http://www.toolup.com/vise-grip/20r....ise-grip%2020r

A strap wrench is less likely to mar the workpiece, but nothing grabs
like the chain on the Vise-Grip 20R. I've not seen a Chinese clone of
this at HF but there may be one.

Enco has it for $25.73. 891-1320.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

See
http://www.toolup.com/vise-grip/20r....ise-grip%2020r

A strap wrench is less likely to mar the workpiece, but nothing grabs
like the chain on the Vise-Grip 20R. I've not seen a Chinese clone of
this at HF but there may be one.

One of the most useful tools around. My biggest ues for this tool is on a
gear/pulley puller. Ever had the puller slide off under high force? Put this
chain grip around the three legs and it can't pop off.

Or use the expensive posi-lock pullers. I wonder when their patent
expires...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A quick cheap way is to saw a recess approximately the diameter of the
housing near one end of a 2X4, loop the center of a piece of rope or
tiedown webbing over it and wind the rope around the air cleaner many
times. The fitted recess helps keep the wood from denting the housing.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:42:05 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:29:40 -0600, Ignoramus25439
wrote:

I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task.

I think that I have enough clearance to weld a steel bar to the pipe
and use that for leverage.

How about cutting one (wrench head) out of a bit of 1/4" plate and
welding a handle to it?

It would take what....10 minutes?

I had to grind some old wrenches for a flatter profile to get into
tight spaces when I was wrenching. I also bent some and welded on
extensions to make my own crowfoot wrenches. This might be what Ig
needs here.

On 2009-02-23, Jim wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:34:46 -0600, Ignoramus25439 wrote:

I have an intake air filter on a compressor. Got a new one to replace
this one. My problem is that I am completely stumped as to how to
remove the old filter, as the gap between the filter body and the
compressor is not wide enough to insert a pipe wrench. I must be
missing something very patently obvious.

Picture of the filter is here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quin...essor-0023.jpg

Doesn't that filter come out from a bolt on top? I could swear that I
see a bolt head (or wingnut wing) on the end of that intake filter.

The housing looks like it takes a flat profile insert, very much like
auto filters. Having the large cannister below it likely takes out
some of the harmonics of the intake valve noise, too. I like it!
The air intake produces half the overall noise from a compressor.

---
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.
--Chuang-tzu (369 BC - 286 BC)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 07:40:39 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

See
http://www.toolup.com/vise-grip/20r....ise-grip%2020r

A strap wrench is less likely to mar the workpiece, but nothing grabs
like the chain on the Vise-Grip 20R. I've not seen a Chinese clone of
this at HF but there may be one.

One of the most useful tools around. My biggest ues for this tool is on a
gear/pulley puller. Ever had the puller slide off under high force? Put this
chain grip around the three legs and it can't pop off.

Ah, good tip, Karl. That would be especially good when you can't get
an impact on the puller head; where there are a lot of side forces at
work.

I have two tips for pullers. First, I used to use pieces of cut
innertube to hold the 3 or 4 jaw pullers in place. (Your chain-style
pipe wrench would make things even more secure.)

Second, I found that using an impact wrench provided a much better
force than a slow-moving wrench or ratchet movement. My frustration
level was way lower when I utilized those two helpers.

---
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.
--Chuang-tzu (369 BC - 286 BC)

Is an air filter necessary Doug Woodworking 10 May 5th 07 04:55 AM
carbon filter for water filter car crash Home Repair 4 November 22nd 06 03:35 PM
Inline filter/regulator for PC compressor Dave Woodworking 2 September 20th 06 12:48 AM
ac filter stevie Home Repair 10 January 13th 06 02:35 AM
Air filter for Porter-Cable compressor Dave Woodworking 1 December 24th 04 11:57 AM