Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Removing air filter on a compressor

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 07:40:39 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

See
http://www.toolup.com/vise-grip/20r....ise-grip%2020r

A strap wrench is less likely to mar the workpiece, but nothing grabs
like the chain on the Vise-Grip 20R. I've not seen a Chinese clone of
this at HF but there may be one.

One of the most useful tools around. My biggest ues for this tool is on a
gear/pulley puller. Ever had the puller slide off under high force? Put this
chain grip around the three legs and it can't pop off.

Ah, good tip, Karl. That would be especially good when you can't get
an impact on the puller head; where there are a lot of side forces at
work.

I have two tips for pullers. First, I used to use pieces of cut
innertube to hold the 3 or 4 jaw pullers in place. (Your chain-style
pipe wrench would make things even more secure.)

Second, I found that using an impact wrench provided a much better
force than a slow-moving wrench or ratchet movement. My frustration
level was way lower when I utilized those two helpers.

---
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.
--Chuang-tzu (369 BC - 286 BC)