Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Removing air filter on a compressor

Ignoramus25439 wrote:
I do not have such a wrench, buying one seems to be excessive for just
one stupid task.

I think that I have enough clearance to weld a steel bar to the pipe
and use that for leverage.

One thing to try is to use a auto timing belt wrapped around the can and
use a mole wrench, vise grip in the US, to clamp the belt loop close to
the can and lever using the wrench. Works well for most items I've tried
it on unless really seized. A good reason to save old timing belts as
the are tough and can be used to drag things about also.

On 2009-02-23, Jim wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:34:46 -0600, Ignoramus25439 wrote:

I have an intake air filter on a compressor. Got a new one to replace
this one. My problem is that I am completely stumped as to how to
remove the old filter, as the gap between the filter body and the
compressor is not wide enough to insert a pipe wrench. I must be
missing something very patently obvious.

Picture of the filter is here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quin...essor-0023.jpg

My old Kellogg-American had a similiar filter housing, I could remove it
with a strap wrench. But this may not apply to yours.