Posted to alt.home.repair
stevie

Default ac filter

i'm getting estimates for a central AC system.

one estimate involves installation of an 'Aprilaire' (or similar) filter,
which is a heavy duty type AC filter that needs element replacement once a
year.

has anyone had experience with this type of filter?? is it worth the extra
cost??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

stevie wrote:
i'm getting estimates for a central AC system.

one estimate involves installation of an 'Aprilaire' (or similar)
filter, which is a heavy duty type AC filter that needs element
replacement once a year.

has anyone had experience with this type of filter?? is it worth the
extra cost??

I don't know about the once a year deal, I doubt if it is really going
to be good for that long. On the other hand Aprilaire is a quality product.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel

I have an Aprilaire filter system. You should change them every 6 months or
so. I guess they're ok, but I haven't noticed a big difference since it
went in.

I was going to get an electronic airfilter, but I let my HVAC contractor
talk me out of that and in to an Aprilaire filter instead. He said it was
better. I know now he just wanted to sell me filters for 22 bucks a pop for
it for LIFE.

"stevie" wrote in message ...
i'm getting estimates for a central AC system.

one estimate involves installation of an 'Aprilaire' (or similar) filter,
which is a heavy duty type AC filter that needs element replacement once a
year.

has anyone had experience with this type of filter?? is it worth the
extra
cost??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Yes, yes.

I've installed a bunch of them. The boss loves em. The customers love em.
Enjoy!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"stevie" wrote in message ...
i'm getting estimates for a central AC system.

one estimate involves installation of an 'Aprilaire' (or similar) filter,
which is a heavy duty type AC filter that needs element replacement once a
year.

has anyone had experience with this type of filter?? is it worth the extra
cost??

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I have 2 april air 2200 ? media filters at at 2 separate locations, the
media is good and can last 1 year easily , your environment determines
that. But the housing holding the filter is crap, it leaks air past the
upper U channel on both units, april air came out, the factory rep and
gave a new unit free but it is the same. I found out about this by
looking at junk on the coil across from the filter on a horizontal Space
Pack and had to have the coil cleaned. My solution is rubber
weatherstrip in the U channel. I would not buy it again, why the idiots
cant weatherstrip their filter housing is a joke, a superior type is
Trion? Air Bear, positive seal and no paper to mess with, you just slide
in a replacement. Large media are good , last longer, April Airs design
is flawed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Stormin, your boss loves em because they make him money, did you ever
look at a coil of a spacepack that is 12" away from a april air media,
both space pack and April air being in direct horizontal airflow, no you
havn`t or you would have seen the top of the spacepack coil get dirty.
You cant see anything on a side furnace instal. This is not a new issue,
just a poor design that bypasses air over the top, next time move the
filter holder up and down in the case , you will see a positive air seal
does not exist as in the Air Bear design by Triton. April air has great
humidifiers, but poor case design on the 2200

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

stevie wrote:
i'm getting estimates for a central AC system.

one estimate involves installation of an 'Aprilaire' (or similar) filter,
which is a heavy duty type AC filter that needs element replacement once a
year.

has anyone had experience with this type of filter?? is it worth the extra
cost??

Do the math, cheap filters go for about $3.50, $11
for standard filters that you change every 2-3
months under very bad conditions, so $44-66 per
year. What is the capital cost and the annual
replacement of the Aprilaire type. If the
Aprilaire type costs more for the first 8 years of
operations than the $11 filters, then go with the
$11 filter types. Just a thought!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr_bill

I second M ransley's post. The Aprilaire filter is
fine, the housing leaks air past the media.

If I could do it again, i would go with a good electrostatic
unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Media air filters work better than almost any other type because of the
tight seal and large surface area, but the replacement filters can be
expensive. Aprilaire uses the same housing for their electronic air cleaner,
and the plates in an electronic air cleaner only need to be washed.
Whatever brand you get, make sure it can be used as either an electronic or
a media air cleaner. Then have your contractor install an electronic one.
After that, if you want to switch to media, all you have to do is turn the
switch off, remove the plates, and install the filter media. Getting it
installed now can save you a lot of money vs. installation later, because of
all the duct work involved.

"stevie" wrote in message ...
i'm getting estimates for a central AC system.

one estimate involves installation of an 'Aprilaire' (or similar) filter,
which is a heavy duty type AC filter that needs element replacement once a
year.

has anyone had experience with this type of filter?? is it worth the

extra
cost??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"George E. Cawthon" wrote

Do the math, cheap filters go for about $3.50, $11 for standard filters
that you change every 2-3 months under very bad conditions, so $44-66 per
year. What is the capital cost and the annual replacement of the
Aprilaire type. If the Aprilaire type costs more for the first 8 years of
operations than the $11 filters, then go with the $11 filter types. Just
a thought!

We sell the replace filters (Spaceguard 2200?) for about $33. I have some
customers that have found them online for half that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Stormin, your boss loves em because they make him money, did you ever
look at a coil of a spacepack that is 12" away from a april air media,
both space pack and April air being in direct horizontal airflow, no you
havn`t or you would have seen the top of the spacepack coil get dirty.
You cant see anything on a side furnace instal. This is not a new issue,
just a poor design that bypasses air over the top, next time move the
filter holder up and down in the case , you will see a positive air seal
does not exist as in the Air Bear design by Triton. April air has great
humidifiers, but poor case design on the 2200

Well, if you get a thicker (3" up) pleated filter you can combine high
efficiecy (gets the small stuff almost like a HEPA filter) along with a low
pressure drop. When you have a low pressure drop a little "air leakage"
that bypasses the filter just doesn't make much difference.