Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carbon brushes, how do they attach the wire?

I was taking to another poster via irc and I wondered how the copper leads are attached to
carbon brushes for motors. There isn't any way I'm trying to google that one.

Can anyone here explain the process?

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
I was taking to another poster via irc and I wondered how the copper leads
are attached to
carbon brushes for motors. There isn't any way I'm trying to google that
one.

Can anyone here explain the process?

A lot of them are in molded Wes.
Go ahead and smash a bad one with a hammer sometime.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
I was taking to another poster via irc and I wondered how the copper leads are attached to
carbon brushes for motors. There isn't any way I'm trying to google that one.

Can anyone here explain the process?

Thanks,

Wes

All of the ones I've ever seen had a copper "cup" that the carbon brush sat in.

The copper thingie has a spring attached to the back side to apply pressure so
the brushes stay in contact with the rotor (stator?) in the motor.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" fired this
volley in :

A lot of them are in molded Wes.
Go ahead and smash a bad one with a hammer sometime.

Well... sintered.

The copper wire may be just embedded in the matrix, with some length
of it compressed in the finished form, or there may be a ferrule on
the end of the wire, or they may dip the end of the braid in some
copper/carbon/flux goo, and sinter that at the same time they're doing
the body of the brush.

In any case, after baking out in a kiln at several tens of tons per
square inch on the material, it becomes a near-homogenous solid, with
the wire, ferrule, or metal mix embedment firmly incorporated as part
of the structure.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:43:20 -0500, Wes wrote:

I was taking to another poster via irc and I wondered how the copper leads are attached to
carbon brushes for motors. There isn't any way I'm trying to google that one.

Can anyone here explain the process?

Thanks,

Wes

Others have said how "they" do it, as in production. It is also easy
to plate copper onto carbon, and then solder (or ultrasonically weld)
a lead to the copper. I've electroplated carbon rods for a carbon-arc
torch in a coke bottle using copper tube for an anode and copper
sulfate solution as juice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Others have said how "they" do it, as in production. It is also easy
to plate copper onto carbon, and then solder (or ultrasonically weld)
a lead to the copper. I've electroplated carbon rods for a carbon-arc
torch in a coke bottle using copper tube for an anode and copper
sulfate solution as juice.

I assume you've done this. Does the copper carbon bond have good
mechanical strength? most servo motor brushes have a very small area
on the end of the brush.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 6:43*pm, Wes wrote:
I was taking to another poster via irc and I wondered how the copper leads are attached to
carbon brushes for motors. *There isn't any way I'm trying to google that one.

Can anyone here explain the process?

Thanks,

Wes

Because carbon is conductive you can plate it with copper and then tin
the copper or solder to it. Not the only method as little metal boxes
and springs also can be used for a mechanical connection, so- it
varies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 09:14:34 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Others have said how "they" do it, as in production. It is also easy
to plate copper onto carbon, and then solder (or ultrasonically weld)
a lead to the copper. I've electroplated carbon rods for a carbon-arc
torch in a coke bottle using copper tube for an anode and copper
sulfate solution as juice.

I assume you've done this. Does the copper carbon bond have good
mechanical strength? most servo motor brushes have a very small area
on the end of the brush.

Karl

I never tried brushes. I think it would work if one plated a "cap"
on, probably not if one just plated on a spot or pad. I think the
latter would peel fairly easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 5:43*pm, Wes wrote:
I was taking to another poster via irc and I wondered how the copper leads are attached to
carbon brushes for motors. *There isn't any way I'm trying to google that one.

Can anyone here explain the process?

Thanks,

Wes

Many patents describe alternative ways of bonding the braid or shunt:
http://www.google.com/patents?q=carbon+brush+shunt
This one uses powder mixture with hot isostatic pressing (HIP):
http://www.google.com/patents?id=3-o...BAJ&dq=5168620

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jan 23, 5:43 pm, Wes wrote:
I was taking to another poster via irc and I wondered how the copper leads
are attached to
carbon brushes for motors. There isn't any way I'm trying to google that
one.

Can anyone here explain the process?

Thanks,

Wes

Many patents describe alternative ways of bonding the braid or shunt:
http://www.google.com/patents?q=carbon+brush+shunt
This one uses powder mixture with hot isostatic pressing (HIP):
http://www.google.com/patents?id=3-o...BAJ&dq=5168620

Yeah, That's what we called "molded".

JC

wire brushes Fred UK diy 4 June 1st 08 02:51 PM
source for carbon commutator brushes ? robb Electronics Repair 12 July 26th 07 07:01 PM
Small Motor Carbon Brushes [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 March 27th 07 03:39 PM
carbon brushes. Walter Craig Metalworking 8 September 27th 05 10:18 AM
Need a source of small carbon brushes Johan Metalworking 16 December 21st 04 03:32 AM