Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Carbon brushes, how do they attach the wire?

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 09:14:34 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Others have said how "they" do it, as in production. It is also easy
to plate copper onto carbon, and then solder (or ultrasonically weld)
a lead to the copper. I've electroplated carbon rods for a carbon-arc
torch in a coke bottle using copper tube for an anode and copper
sulfate solution as juice.

I assume you've done this. Does the copper carbon bond have good
mechanical strength? most servo motor brushes have a very small area
on the end of the brush.

Karl

I never tried brushes. I think it would work if one plated a "cap"
on, probably not if one just plated on a spot or pad. I think the
latter would peel fairly easily.