Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Helicoil / V-coil etc.

From several google searches I've concluded that the tech specs for these
products is a closely guarded secret!

The thread repair is on a thin walled casing of light alloy and the thread
size is M6x1, I need the tap OD to judge whether the casing has enough meat
on it to run the tap for the wire insert into it.

Preferably I'd like to compare the competing types for which if any has the
smallest tap OD, but my final decision may be influenced by the fact Farnell
have discontinued Helicoil in favour of V-coil (I'm making up a list to
order from them) although I can get Helicoil from a local shop (at higher
cost).

Basically I'm looking for tech info on the 2 competing brands, but would
welcome any advice on any other thread repair kits and especially where's
cheapest in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:30:10 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

From several google searches I've concluded that the tech specs for these
products is a closely guarded secret!

The Tap OD's are iirc engraved on the Helicoil taps or on the sheet
inside the cover of the kit. I've only got Helicoil inserts as UNF
and BSF, my Metric inserts are all Recoil.

The thread repair is on a thin walled casing of light alloy and the thread
size is M6x1, I need the tap OD to judge whether the casing has enough meat
on it to run the tap for the wire insert into it.

Preferably I'd like to compare the competing types for which if any has the
smallest tap OD, but my final decision may be influenced by the fact Farnell
have discontinued Helicoil in favour of V-coil (I'm making up a list to
order from them) although I can get Helicoil from a local shop (at higher
cost).

Basically I'm looking for tech info on the 2 competing brands, but would
welcome any advice on any other thread repair kits and especially where's
cheapest in the UK.

They are all pretty much the same size OD - if you think about it they
have to provide an identical ID to root of the original thread and an
od at half the insert wall thickness to match the crest of the
original thread. The other half of the insert wall thickness is
within the new (oversize) threaded hole

As a benchmark a Recoil kit (Australian made but available from RS in
the UK) for M6 is sized as below.

The tap is 7.3mm OD, the insert 7.38mm OD and their wall thickness
1.1mm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:30:10 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

From several google searches I've concluded that the tech specs for these
[...]

Thanks - As far as RS is concerned I mislaid my account details and they
didn't reply to my email asking how to sort this out, so I go to Farnell
who've unfortunately dropped Helicoil and now only stock V-coil.

The V-coil from Farnell is about half what I was expecting to pay for
Helicoil but I can't find any tech info on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I prefer Timeserts to wire coils. Stronger and don't come out with the bolt.
http://www.timesert.com/

--
Stupendous Man,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
I prefer Timeserts to wire coils. Stronger and don't come out with the
bolt.
http://www.timesert.com/

Not much use on a gasket face with too little clearance round the hole to
sink the collar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:59:07 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

Thanks - As far as RS is concerned I mislaid my account details and they
didn't reply to my email asking how to sort this out, so I go to Farnell
who've unfortunately dropped Helicoil and now only stock V-coil.

The V-coil from Farnell is about half what I was expecting to pay for
Helicoil but I can't find any tech info on it.

Shouldn't be a problem setting up a new credit card account with RS
online in a few minutes - the only drawback is they charge £4.95
delivery on 'accounts' where there is instant settlement via credit or
debit card rather than pay on delayed terms sometime afterwards!

Farnell are good and I use them a lot but you can get both Helicoil
and V-Coil inserts from J&L Industrial for much less than either RS or
Farnell's (particularly if they have one of their special offers on)
- sign up to the mail list or keep visiting their home page from
Tuesday to Thursday each week - some weeks it's as much as 30% off for
no real effort online. You can bargain over the phone anytime though!

J&L also do V-coil inserts in 1x and 2x thread diameter as well as the
more common 'standard' 1.5x

http://www.jlindustrial.co.uk

(no connection with any of the above except as a satisfied customer)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I used to buy quite a bit from Farnell, had an account and all, but
stopped buying from them when they stopped sending me something that
approximated a quality catalogue. Their web site is rubbish compared to
the printed catalogue and when it started to take me like 4-5 times the
time to get an order together via their website I switched to RS as
their website was far better organised. Basically came down to ease of
access of the data required to make the purchase decision, the Farnell
printed catalogue had it handy on the printed pages, the website was
slow and made it hard work. The only time I order from Farnell these
days is when they have something I require and others such as RS don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not much use on a gasket face with too little clearance round the hole to
sink the collar.

If that's the case, I would weld up the hole and re-drill. Thin side metal
won't like a coil trying to spread it and it will probably crack.
The flange on a time-sert isn't much larger than the thread.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:38:06 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

I used to buy quite a bit from Farnell, had an account and all, but
stopped buying from them when they stopped sending me something that
approximated a quality catalogue. Their web site is rubbish compared to
the printed catalogue and when it started to take me like 4-5 times the
time to get an order together via their website I switched to RS as
their website was far better organised. Basically came down to ease of
access of the data required to make the purchase decision, the Farnell
printed catalogue had it handy on the printed pages, the website was
slow and made it hard work. The only time I order from Farnell these
days is when they have something I require and others such as RS don't.

Almost all web 'catalogues' are no substitute for a physical one you
can flick through. Until recently I had no problem getting hold of
paper catalogues from both these suppliers but recent policy changes
(due to the large cost of production) mean that even long term account
holders will struggle to obtain them in future!

RS have massively improved their website in the last year or so
recently and so enabling right clicking so that you can have more than
one window on their site open at once (I tab browse in firefox) but
they still fall behind Farnell in one important area - this drives me
and many I've spoken with absolutely nuts!

When drilling down through their web listings you can specify specific
parameters. For instance (forgive the electronic example) with
capacitors at RS you can specify the voltage rating but due to the way
they have been catalogued there are both '16v' and '16v(dc)' and you
can only select one of these despite them being essentially identical.

With Farnells you can select multiple parameters so despite them also
cataloging '16v' and '16v DC' I can select both and increase my
choice. I can also easily select a higher voltage (say 25v) and
multiple manufacturers (excluding the ones I won't purchase from due
to previous problems with their products)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Not much use on a gasket face with too little clearance round the hole to
sink the collar.

If that's the case, I would weld up the hole and re-drill. Thin side metal
won't like a coil trying to spread it and it will probably crack.
The flange on a time-sert isn't much larger than the thread.

I'm hoping I have a scrap casing left over to use as a test piece.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Since finding that Farnell no longer stock Helicoil, I've seen on another
tool suppliers website that its listed as "no longer manufactured", the page
listed 5 remaining in stock so I could go for one of those but then V-coil
seems to be about half the price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One of my main gripes with farnell, is I usually buy electronic components -
you have to watch out for "US stock - £15.95 shipping charge"!