Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Helicoil / V-coil etc.

Mike wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:59:07 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

Thanks - As far as RS is concerned I mislaid my account details and they
didn't reply to my email asking how to sort this out, so I go to Farnell
who've unfortunately dropped Helicoil and now only stock V-coil.

The V-coil from Farnell is about half what I was expecting to pay for
Helicoil but I can't find any tech info on it.

Shouldn't be a problem setting up a new credit card account with RS
online in a few minutes - the only drawback is they charge £4.95
delivery on 'accounts' where there is instant settlement via credit or
debit card rather than pay on delayed terms sometime afterwards!

Farnell are good and I use them a lot but you can get both Helicoil
and V-Coil inserts from J&L Industrial for much less than either RS or
Farnell's (particularly if they have one of their special offers on)
- sign up to the mail list or keep visiting their home page from
Tuesday to Thursday each week - some weeks it's as much as 30% off for
no real effort online. You can bargain over the phone anytime though!

J&L also do V-coil inserts in 1x and 2x thread diameter as well as the
more common 'standard' 1.5x

http://www.jlindustrial.co.uk

(no connection with any of the above except as a satisfied customer)

I used to buy quite a bit from Farnell, had an account and all, but
stopped buying from them when they stopped sending me something that
approximated a quality catalogue. Their web site is rubbish compared to
the printed catalogue and when it started to take me like 4-5 times the
time to get an order together via their website I switched to RS as
their website was far better organised. Basically came down to ease of
access of the data required to make the purchase decision, the Farnell
printed catalogue had it handy on the printed pages, the website was
slow and made it hard work. The only time I order from Farnell these
days is when they have something I require and others such as RS don't.