Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF multimeter - takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'

Had an "accident" where the chuck on my lathe attacked my HF DMM. It
just reached out, grabbed the leads, and smashed it on the ways.
"Damn", I thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3 meter!"

The case was cracked & the LCD display knocked out. Reassembled it,
glued the crack & it works! Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new
one is up to $5.

HF believer,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote: (clip) I thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3
meter!" (clip) Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new one is up to $5.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have paid as little as $2.50 when they were on the close-out table. I
bought half a dozen; gave a couple to friends, and scattered some around so
I don't have to walk far to find one. Definitely the outstanding value at
HF ever. Fixing it is not a question of cost--you just don't throw away
something that good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote: (clip) I thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3
meter!" (clip) Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new one is up to
$5.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have paid as little as $2.50 when they were on the close-out table. I
bought half a dozen; gave a couple to friends, and scattered some around
so I don't have to walk far to find one. Definitely the outstanding value
at HF ever. Fixing it is not a question of cost--you just don't throw
away something that good.

Agree 100%
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:19:26 -0800, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote: (clip) I thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3
meter!" (clip) Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new one is up to $5.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have paid as little as $2.50 when they were on the close-out table. I
bought half a dozen; gave a couple to friends, and scattered some around so
I don't have to walk far to find one. Definitely the outstanding value at
HF ever. Fixing it is not a question of cost--you just don't throw away
something that good.

They're 2.99 till Monday in the store flyer. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have three or four of these and use them a lot. Their leads leave
much to be desired and they tend to run out of batteries more
quickly. But they seem to work fine, I like to give them to kids.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31576" wrote in message
I have three or four of these and use them a lot. Their leads leave
much to be desired and they tend to run out of batteries more
quickly. But they seem to work fine, I like to give them to kids.

Look at the a Dollar store. The one I keep in my boat is from there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote:
Had an "accident" where the chuck on my lathe attacked my HF DMM. It just
reached out, grabbed the leads, and smashed it on the ways. "Damn", I
thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3 meter!"

The case was cracked & the LCD display knocked out. Reassembled it, glued
the crack & it works! Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new one is
up to $5.

I've got one of their "fancy" ones (does capacitance) that I picked up on
sale for twenty bucks three years ago. About the only problem I've ever had
with it is the poor nature of the male banana jacks on the leads (they
become oxidised and shrink a bit, leading to a mess at low resistance
readings until it is fixed).

I like the fact that it otherwise works great, and that it was cheap enough
that I don't have to worry about it.

It's the first one I reach for, and is always handy.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
They're 2.99 till Monday in the store flyer. ;-)

If there was a store closer than 1 hr away, I'd pick up a couple as
spares. Someday the Boston area will get a HF store. Maybe in my
lifetime. Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31576 wrote:
... they tend to run out of batteries more
quickly. ...

When I took this one apart to fix it, I realized that I'd never had it
open before. I.e., I'd never changed the battery. It doesn't get a lot
of use, but it is several years old. The one in my car must be 5 years
old, on the original battery. Even less use, but good shelf life on the
battery.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 10:45*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Had an "accident" where the chuck on my lathe attacked my HF DMM. *It
just reached out, grabbed the leads, and smashed it on the ways.
"Damn", I thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3 meter!"

The case was cracked & the LCD display knocked out. *Reassembled it,
glued the crack & it works! *Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new
one is up to $5.

HF believer,
Bob

LOL...yeah I love them too.

And this is from a guy who has meters worth thousands of dollars.

What do you think their cost of production is?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:32:48 -0800 (PST), the renowned Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Jan 23, 10:45*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Had an "accident" where the chuck on my lathe attacked my HF DMM. *It
just reached out, grabbed the leads, and smashed it on the ways.
"Damn", I thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3 meter!"

The case was cracked & the LCD display knocked out. *Reassembled it,
glued the crack & it works! *Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new
one is up to $5.

HF believer,
Bob

LOL...yeah I love them too.

And this is from a guy who has meters worth thousands of dollars.

What do you think their cost of production is?

TMT

Under a buck.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A pound of rice:

And one of whatever the little fish, they eat in china are. For a whole
day's production, at about 200 meters per hour.

Now, that's cheap!

RK

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Jan 23, 10:45 am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Had an "accident" where the chuck on my lathe attacked my HF DMM. It
just reached out, grabbed the leads, and smashed it on the ways.
"Damn", I thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3 meter!"

The case was cracked & the LCD display knocked out. Reassembled it,
glued the crack & it works! Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new
one is up to $5.

HF believer,
Bob

LOL...yeah I love them too.

And this is from a guy who has meters worth thousands of dollars.

What do you think their cost of production is?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 4:25*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
They're 2.99 till Monday in the store flyer. ;-) *

If there was a store closer than 1 hr away, I'd pick up a couple as
spares. *Someday the Boston area will get a HF store. *Maybe in my
lifetime. *Bob

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta..._stores.taf#MA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

Ignoramus31576 wrote:
... they tend to run out of batteries more
quickly. ...

When I took this one apart to fix it, I realized that I'd never had it
open before. I.e., I'd never changed the battery. It doesn't get a lot
of use, but it is several years old. The one in my car must be 5 years
old, on the original battery. Even less use, but good shelf life on the
battery.

Bob

You realize you've just jinxed that now. Better put in a new battery or
it'll be totally dead when you need it. :-O