Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default HF multimeter - takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote:
Had an "accident" where the chuck on my lathe attacked my HF DMM. It just
reached out, grabbed the leads, and smashed it on the ways. "Damn", I
thought, "there goes a perfectly good $3 meter!"

The case was cracked & the LCD display knocked out. Reassembled it, glued
the crack & it works! Good thing, too, 'cause the price of a new one is
up to $5.

I've got one of their "fancy" ones (does capacitance) that I picked up on
sale for twenty bucks three years ago. About the only problem I've ever had
with it is the poor nature of the male banana jacks on the leads (they
become oxidised and shrink a bit, leading to a mess at low resistance
readings until it is fixed).

I like the fact that it otherwise works great, and that it was cheap enough
that I don't have to worry about it.

It's the first one I reach for, and is always handy.

Jon