Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default On Topic Sorta - Attending Trade Shows Frugally?

I'm thinking about going down to either Charlotte, NC for the "South Pack"
packaging event held in March or maybe up to Eastec (MA) in May. Neither
will be full fledged business trips for me but I would certainly check them
out if I'm near there to see if anything met my business needs.

I noticed a few months ago while in Atlanta at a similar show that some
attendees get in free with passes from exhibitors... As much as I generally
dislike these huge events, there are times when I find myself located near
one and will fill a day browsing for the heck of it. I simply don't want to
have to pay for a ticket I may or may not use and because it's not a
business "need" I don't want to pay for it out of my business funds. In
Atlanta, I made some good business contacts and felt no remorse about paying
for the event but at some, it's simply a waste of funds...

Other than me being a cheap-arse, are there any ideas or thoughts out there
for me on this? I'm wondering if any of you ever received these free passes
and how did you get them or get on the list to receive them?

I know there is no legitimate metalworking content here, but the trade shows
are something that a lot of us attend, etc. There, of course is no
"rec.crafts.metalworking.tradeshows" newsgroup either so this is the most
legitimate group I could think of to post to other than maybe harassing the
folks over at alt.machines.cnc. grin

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Other than me being a cheap-arse, are there any ideas or thoughts out
there for me on this? I'm wondering if any of you ever received these
free passes and how did you get them or get on the list to receive them?

Do you have any suppliers that exhibit at the show? If so ask if they have
any
"guest passes" available. Or you might become a "temporary employee" of
the exhibitor and get a pass that way. You pretty much have to know
somebody
to get a freebie to a trade show but it's not all that hard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Do you have any suppliers that exhibit at the show? If so ask if they
have any
"guest passes" available. Or you might become a "temporary employee" of
the exhibitor and get a pass that way. You pretty much have to know
somebody
to get a freebie to a trade show but it's not all that hard.

That's about what I figured... Might have to look at the list of those
exibiting and make some strategic e-mail time.

What I'd really hate to do though is receifve a free pass and then not use
it when someone else could have used it...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Do you have any suppliers that exhibit at the show? If so ask if they
have any
"guest passes" available. Or you might become a "temporary employee" of
the exhibitor and get a pass that way. You pretty much have to know
somebody
to get a freebie to a trade show but it's not all that hard.

That's about what I figured... Might have to look at the list of those
exibiting and make some strategic e-mail time.

What I'd really hate to do though is receifve a free pass and then not use
it when someone else could have used it...

Don't hesitate to contact them, in some of the trade shows in my
industry, the vendors have virtually unlimited passes, I've even been
told they could e-mail the PDF to me and it would get me in. These are
trade shows associated with a professional conference and may not apply
to all shows, but worth a try.

Stuart
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What I'd really hate to do though is receifve a free pass and then not
use it when someone else could have used it...

Don't hesitate to contact them, in some of the trade shows in my industry,
the vendors have virtually unlimited passes, I've even been told they
could e-mail the PDF to me and it would get me in. These are trade shows
associated with a professional conference and may not apply to all shows,
but worth a try.

Excellent. Thank you. I'll give them fair warning that my attendance is
certainly not guaranteed, but possible given the facts at hand...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Do you have any suppliers that exhibit at the show? If so ask if they
have any
"guest passes" available. Or you might become a "temporary employee" of
the exhibitor and get a pass that way. You pretty much have to know
somebody
to get a freebie to a trade show but it's not all that hard.

That's about what I figured... Might have to look at the list of those
exibiting and make some strategic e-mail time.

What I'd really hate to do though is receifve a free pass and then not use
it when someone else could have used it...

Don't worry about it. I've walked into shows with three or four passes from
different companies.

Yes, I also got press passes, but the other freebies usually are not hard to
get.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, I also got press passes, but the other freebies usually are not hard
to get.

Now... To really take this off-topic... What exactly is involved in
getting a legitimate press pass these days?

It's rare I would want to go to a techical talk, but if I did, I'd gladly
also pay.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Yes, I also got press passes, but the other freebies usually are not hard
to get.

Now... To really take this off-topic... What exactly is involved in
getting a legitimate press pass these days?

Become a member of the press. g

If you're not a magazine staffer, and if it's an SME show, you contact the
press office and tell them you're working on an article or a book. They'll
ask for whom. You'd better know. d8-)

It's rare I would want to go to a techical talk, but if I did, I'd gladly
also pay.

They can be expensive. That's where a press pass really pays off. Do you
have any published articles?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:13:10 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

[...]

Hey, Joe:-

Often, in my experience, you can get in free to industry trade shows
if you are legitimately in the trade (or appear to be, as opposed to
students or winos or whatever), and if register online BEFORE the
event. They'll leave the badge for you to pick up or mail it to you.

It's only the ones who show up and try to register on site (without
the pass) that pay admission for the exhibit hall.

The technical sessions are another matter, I think you'd have to have
some kind of 'in' or give a talk to get those for free, if they
normally charge for them. Also a very few trade shows require actual
credentials (eg. membership in some organization) but I have not found
any of them interesting enough to bother with.

For example, you can register online free for the Charlotte show he
https://www.compusystems.com/servlet...id=641&Show=SP

Looks like Eastek is free as well, but I didn't follow the process far
enough to be su
http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/esc-reg-e...image_source=&

There's absolutely no reason not to do this-- nothing cheap-arse about
not being a sucker. You're going there to be sold to, and to get your
name on a mailing list. Arguably, they should pay you!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
There's absolutely no reason not to do this-- nothing cheap-arse about
not being a sucker. You're going there to be sold to, and to get your
name on a mailing list. Arguably, they should pay you!

Glad to see that someone else thinks like me. Really irks me to have to pay
have someone trying to sell something to me!

One of my pet peeves is hats. I should BUY a hat to advertise someone's
product for them?? Don't think so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey, Joe:-

Often, in my experience, you can get in free to industry trade shows
if you are legitimately in the trade (or appear to be, as opposed to
students or winos or whatever), and if register online BEFORE the
event. They'll leave the badge for you to pick up or mail it to you.

It's only the ones who show up and try to register on site (without
the pass) that pay admission for the exhibit hall.

The technical sessions are another matter, I think you'd have to have
some kind of 'in' or give a talk to get those for free, if they
normally charge for them. Also a very few trade shows require actual
credentials (eg. membership in some organization) but I have not found
any of them interesting enough to bother with.

For example, you can register online free for the Charlotte show he
https://www.compusystems.com/servlet...id=641&Show=SP

Registerd for that one this morning...

Looks like Eastek is free as well, but I didn't follow the process far
enough to be su
http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/esc-reg-e...image_source=&

Will click the link when done here for sure. Thank you.

There's absolutely no reason not to do this-- nothing cheap-arse about
not being a sucker. You're going there to be sold to, and to get your
name on a mailing list. Arguably, they should pay you!

Agreed.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Look at the shows magazines or see if a vendor is showing. They have lots
of floor passes. They do not get you into the seminars, but you get to see
all the displays.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Other than me being a cheap-arse, are there any ideas or thoughts out there
for me on this? I'm wondering if any of you ever received these free passes
and how did you get them or get on the list to receive them?

I know there is no legitimate metalworking content here, but the trade shows
are something that a lot of us attend, etc. There, of course is no
"rec.crafts.metalworking.tradeshows" newsgroup either so this is the most
legitimate group I could think of to post to other than maybe harassing the
folks over at alt.machines.cnc. grin

I get free Westec passes every year, in the mail.

Go to the various trade show websites, and simply apply for one. In
most cases, they will send you one free. Or several of them.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I get free Westec passes every year, in the mail.

Go to the various trade show websites, and simply apply for one. In
most cases, they will send you one free. Or several of them.

I was actually able to get both of these free online thanks to a previous
poster telling me to *look* online first.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know there is no legitimate metalworking content here, but the trade shows
are something that a lot of us attend, etc. There, of course is no
"rec.crafts.metalworking.tradeshows" newsgroup either so this is the most
legitimate group I could think of to post to other than maybe harassing the
folks over at alt.machines.cnc. grin

Why not contact the show organisers, say you are considering
exhibiting in the future, but need to get an idea if it is worth while
for your business (ie generate enough customers)

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I know there is no legitimate metalworking content here, but the trade
shows
are something that a lot of us attend, etc. There, of course is no
"rec.crafts.metalworking.tradeshows" newsgroup either so this is the most
legitimate group I could think of to post to other than maybe harassing
the
folks over at alt.machines.cnc. grin

Why not contact the show organisers, say you are considering
exhibiting in the future, but need to get an idea if it is worth while
for your business (ie generate enough customers)

That would possibly work, but it's probably untrue for us. I don't think
I'll ever exhibit at a show unless getting an indoor parking spot for my
"stuff" is worth the price of an exhibitor's booth.

Not judging you at all because you don't know whether I'd ever exhibit or
not, but I'm a stickler for being brutally honest with people and businesses
and I wouldn't want to cross that line.