Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:40:44 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
snip
OK, I tried (just for the experiment) moving my chair down, so I'm viewing
through the upper lenses. That's not bad, but they're focused just a bit too
far. I know that the bottom lenses focus too closely.

snip
------------
Real cheap screw solution. Go to Walmart or Dollar General and
get a set of reading classes with the correct focal length for
your computer glasses. Should run 5 to 10$ US. You may find you
want/need several pairs in slightly different focal lengths as
the day progresses and your eyes get tired. Yellow tinted can
also help.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
snip
OK, I tried (just for the experiment) moving my chair down, so I'm viewing
through the upper lenses. That's not bad, but they're focused just a bit
too
far. I know that the bottom lenses focus too closely.

snip
------------
Real cheap screw solution. Go to Walmart or Dollar General and
get a set of reading classes with the correct focal length for
your computer glasses. Should run 5 to 10$ US. You may find you
want/need several pairs in slightly different focal lengths as
the day progresses and your eyes get tired. Yellow tinted can
also help.

Yeah, that's what I have, George. And that's what I'll probably continue to
use for long stints at the computer. I was hoping my new glasses would cover
everything, but I think I'm asking too much. One happy surprise is that it
really improves my sight picture with handguns, because the distance-viewing
lens now extends my depth of field in the close direction enough to see the
front sights sharply. I haven't been able to see the front sight *and* the
target well for close to 30 years.

Maybe I'll even try an iron-sight rifle again.

But reading and driving are great. And they haven't caused me any trouble
with distance perception. At least, I haven't fallen down so far. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eyeglasses

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:44:02 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
t...
Something that has helped me a lot on my computer monitor has been
switching to an LCD -- not because of sharpness or anything else, but
because I'm able to put it far enough away on my desk that I can still
focus on it! Yeah, no doubt in another couple of years that won't be
enough any more...

I figure I'll just stand off around 15 feet and use my binoculars. d8-)

I'm getting used to these progressives at the computer. I'm using them right
now, and I hardly notice the narrow window.

If you had a cervical fusion, you would!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
et...
Something that has helped me a lot on my computer monitor has been
switching to an LCD -- not because of sharpness or anything else, but
because I'm able to put it far enough away on my desk that I can still
focus on it! Yeah, no doubt in another couple of years that won't be
enough any more...

I figure I'll just stand off around 15 feet and use my binoculars. d8-)

I'm getting used to these progressives at the computer. I'm using them
right
now, and I hardly notice the narrow window.

If you had a cervical fusion, you would!

I'll bet. Fortunately for me, by spine is still loose as a goose.

Does it require multiple pairs of glasses, so you don't have to move your
head as much?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:57:31 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

.. .
wrote:

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
. net...
Something that has helped me a lot on my computer monitor has been
switching to an LCD -- not because of sharpness or anything else, but
because I'm able to put it far enough away on my desk that I can still
focus on it! Yeah, no doubt in another couple of years that won't be
enough any more...

I figure I'll just stand off around 15 feet and use my binoculars. d8-)

I'm getting used to these progressives at the computer. I'm using them
right
now, and I hardly notice the narrow window.

If you had a cervical fusion, you would!

I'll bet. Fortunately for me, by spine is still loose as a goose.

Does it require multiple pairs of glasses, so you don't have to move your
head as much?

That was part of what killed progressives for me. I couldn't see out
of 80% of the lens so my head was always turning as my eyes had always
done. Swiveling your head like your eyes puts a REAL strain on the
spine and musculature, especially during those first weeks. I had head
and neck aches, couldn't see my rear view mirror without pivoting my
head, and got really, really angry about all the limitations and pain
before demanding REAL glasses from my optometrist's office mangler who
had talked me into the $600 progressives. PTUI!

I'm perfectly happy with 3 pairs of glasses. Large single-vision for
reading in bed, bifocals for computer/reading work, and large bifocals
for fulltime distance/reading.

This thread reminds me that it's time to go have my eyes checked
again.

--
Even with the best of maps and instruments,
we can never fully chart our journeys.

Cliff Busted Cliff Metalworking 2 December 24th 05 06:36 AM
Cliff and Kadaitcha Man Christopher Tidy Metalworking 1 October 6th 05 04:08 AM
OT - Bye Cliff Cliff Metalworking 28 August 22nd 05 07:21 PM
OT - Ping Cliff Cliff Metalworking 2 February 28th 05 07:06 AM