DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/269076-who-has-done-more-damage-r-c-m-cliff-tmt.html)

Wes[_2_] January 16th 09 10:49 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

Subject said it all.

Wes

Too_Many_Tools January 16th 09 11:34 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff, TMT or Wes?

On Jan 16, 4:49*pm, Wes wrote:
Subject said it all.

Wes

Now the subject says it all.

TMT

Wes[_2_] January 16th 09 11:42 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

Wes wrote:

Subject said it all.

Wes

Nevermind. Recognizing their destructive efforts would give them pleasure. Please don't
respond.

Wes

Too_Many_Tools January 16th 09 11:47 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

On Jan 16, 4:49*pm, Wes wrote:
Subject said it all.

Wes

And Wes...I note that you forgot to add the "OT - " prefix to your
posting.

How about adding it for the consideration of members who don't want to
read off topic postings?

Thanks

TMT

Too_Many_Tools January 17th 09 12:14 AM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff, TMT or Wes?

On Jan 16, 5:42*pm, Wes wrote:
Wes wrote:
Subject said it all.

Wes

Nevermind. *Recognizing their destructive efforts would give them pleasure. *Please don't
respond.

Wes

What was that Wes?

Trying to get the playground kids to gang up on someone?

That is what bullies do.

I hate bullies...more than I hate hypocrites.

TMT

Wes[_2_] January 17th 09 12:33 AM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff, TMT or Wes?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Jan 16, 4:49*pm, Wes wrote:
Subject said it all.

Wes

Now the subject says it all.

TMT

I'm impressed, you didn't cross post this for a change. It is pretty damn pathetic that
you have to troll your garbage across many newsgroups to get much notice. Are you proud
of yourself?

When you get a hit do you rub yourself in that special way? How many web forums have you
been banned from? I run into mentions of you from time to time and none of it is good.

If you think your continuous ranting advances your positions then you have a reality check
coming. It doesn't take long to get on the idiot list. I've likely got myself filtered
by a few over the years when I rose to the bait.

You just keep ranting on bud. Outside of your fellow nut jobs, I'm fairly sure most have
you stuck firmly in the ignore column aka bozo bin. I've read a few posts where it seems
you might actually have some knowledge worth sharing but that isn't on your agenda. You
could be a respected contributor but you choose not.

There are some people on this list that may be somewhat aligned with your positions. They
offer content and we can have an agreement to disagree without causing disruption. That
isn't your style though. You are a flame thrower. Some one that likes to pour gas on the
fire, not someone that tries to find a middle way. You are the Hamas of R.C.M.

Serious discussion seems to be very on topic since this group tends to ramble around a
bit, most of us like each other no mater what way we lean. Why do you have to **** in the
soup? You have been marked read for a while just to keep me from taking the bait. When I
came home tonight and saw the last 3 threads being your garbage, I decided to tell you
what I think. It won't matter to you because you don't care. You are a sick man filled
with hatred I'm torn between scorn and pity, something is obviously defective in your
mental state. Get some treatment, you will have a happier life, don't blame your failures
on GWB, you know it is inside yourself. That is the first step of recovery.

Wes

Larry Jaques January 17th 09 02:56 AM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:49:25 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Subject said it all.

C. Both of the above. First Cliffy, now TooManyTrolls.

But the real damage is being done by all the dopey people constantly
replying to them on a daily basis. A pox on all their houses.

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.

Hawke[_2_] January 17th 09 04:29 AM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff, TMT or Wes?

"Wes" wrote in message
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Jan 16, 4:49 pm, Wes wrote:
Subject said it all.

[...]

Hey Wes, does this mean that we can count on you to keep your mouth shut
from now on about Obama and the Democrats? Or will you just be the
republican version of TMT? My bet is that it won't be long until you are
starting off topic threads about Obama and how he's such a lousy president
and he's ruining the country. But if and when you start doing that you need
to know that you will be exactly the same as TMT. Except for one thing. TMT
was right in his criticisms of Bush and the republicans, who you defended,
and you will be wrong about criticizing Obama. That's because you will only
be doing it because he's a Democrat. Not because he's done anything wrong.

Hawke

Robert Swinney January 17th 09 06:22 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff, TMT or Wes?

Hawke sez:

" . . .you will be wrong about criticizing Obama. That's because you will only
be doing it because he's a Democrat. Not because he's done anything wrong."

HHmmnnn! Obama a Democrat? How out of touch with reality can one get?

Bob Swinney

Ed Huntress January 17th 09 10:43 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

"Wes" wrote in message
Subject said it all.

Wes

Just plonk 'em, Wes. It's amazing how they disappear. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Wes[_2_] January 18th 09 12:19 AM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Subject said it all.

Wes

Just plonk 'em, Wes. It's amazing how they disappear. d8-)

Sadly there is always the backscatter.

I'll put it in effect after I press send. Oh, btw, I am half way done with your book,
I've been taking my time with it, so far I've enjoyed it and I haven't been too surprised.

It has been a good read so far. I'm getting used to these bifocals too. :)

Wes

Ed Huntress January 18th 09 01:59 AM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Subject said it all.

Wes

Just plonk 'em, Wes. It's amazing how they disappear. d8-)

Sadly there is always the backscatter.

I'm cleaning out some of the backscatterers, too. The NG is getting a little
thin, but my mood has improved noticeably. d8-)

I'll put it in effect after I press send. Oh, btw, I am half way done
with your book,
I've been taking my time with it, so far I've enjoyed it and I haven't
been too surprised.

No hurry.

It has been a good read so far. I'm getting used to these bifocals too.
:)

I get mine sometime this week. I went for some fancy-schmancy progressives,
since my insurance covered them. The optician said to try them for two
weeks, and he'll change them if I fall down the stairs, like my dad did.

--
Ed Huntress

Wes[_2_] January 18th 09 05:19 AM

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It has been a good read so far. I'm getting used to these bifocals too.
:)

I get mine sometime this week. I went for some fancy-schmancy progressives,
since my insurance covered them. The optician said to try them for two
weeks, and he'll change them if I fall down the stairs, like my dad did.

It took at least two weeks before I noticed I wasn't noticing them. Use the handrail in
the meantime.

Wes

Ed Huntress January 18th 09 06:02 AM

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It has been a good read so far. I'm getting used to these bifocals too.
:)

I get mine sometime this week. I went for some fancy-schmancy
progressives,
since my insurance covered them. The optician said to try them for two
weeks, and he'll change them if I fall down the stairs, like my dad did.

It took at least two weeks before I noticed I wasn't noticing them. Use
the handrail in
the meantime.

Wes

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. g

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques January 18th 09 04:13 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 01:02:22 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It has been a good read so far. I'm getting used to these bifocals too.
:)

I get mine sometime this week. I went for some fancy-schmancy
progressives,
since my insurance covered them. The optician said to try them for two
weeks, and he'll change them if I fall down the stairs, like my dad did.

It took at least two weeks before I noticed I wasn't noticing them. Use
the handrail in
the meantime.

Wes

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. g

Wait until you drive in them. You can't see your rear view mirror
without turning your head to look straight at it. Notice the sore neck
muscles? FTS! [in non-French: Screw That Crap!]

--
Even with the best of maps and instruments,
we can never fully chart our journeys.

Ed Huntress January 18th 09 05:18 PM

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It has been a good read so far. I'm getting used to these bifocals
too.
:)

I get mine sometime this week. I went for some fancy-schmancy
progressives,
since my insurance covered them. The optician said to try them for two
weeks, and he'll change them if I fall down the stairs, like my dad did.

It took at least two weeks before I noticed I wasn't noticing them. Use
the handrail in
the meantime.

Wes

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. g

Wait until you drive in them. You can't see your rear view mirror
without turning your head to look straight at it. Notice the sore neck
muscles? FTS! [in non-French: Screw That Crap!]

OK, we'll see. Apparently there is quite a wide range of reactions to these
things. I'm hoping I get lucky.

--
Ed Huntress

Too_Many_Tools January 18th 09 07:04 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff, TMT or Wes?

On Jan 16, 6:33*pm, Wes wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jan 16, 4:49*pm, Wes wrote:
Subject said it all.

[...]

So how was your posting metal working related Wes?

Please stay on topic Wes...and learn how to recognize and use the "OT
-" prefix.

No one holds a gun (metal related content) ;) to your head to click
on a discussion with "OT -" in the heading.

Unless I forget..I always add the "OT - " that was agreed on earlier
in this group out of respect for this group...check the archives for
the discussion.

I also note that it is the wingers of the group who whine about this
stuff...I don't see you complaining about the endless rivers of
conservative crap that Gunner and his winger followers spew...did you
forget to include his name in the title or are you a conservative
sympathizer?

If you want what you consider to be off topic subjects to cease, then
it starts with the conservatives among here...and I will follow.

Meanwhile...have a really nice liberal day.

See you at the Obama inauguration..I'll be the guy with the really BIG
smile.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools January 18th 09 07:06 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff, TMT or Wes?

On Jan 16, 10:29*pm, "Hawke" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Jan 16, 4:49 pm, Wes wrote:
Subject said it all.

[...]

Hawke- Hide quoted text -

Hawke makes a good point Wes.

Walk the talk winger.

Any posting from you will show that you are not a man of principle.

We will be watching...and judging.

TMT

Joseph Gwinn January 18th 09 07:12 PM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

My eye doctor recommended against progressives, because about one half
of his patients that got them could not get used to them. So I stuck
with bifocals (distance plus reading) for ordinary use, and large and
gawky reading glasses (14" focus) for close work in the shop, the large
being so the glasses also will deflect stuff flying out of the work.

I'm considering getting a second set of bifocals, being computer (~20"
focus) above and reading below for the office.

What I also find worth the money is combined anti-scratch and
anti-reflection coatings.

As for material, most people use plastic these days. The original
plastic eyeglass material is "CR39", later followed by polycarbonate and
some high-index (of refraction) materials. I went through the whole
what-to-get exercise, and chose CR39 because it is physically strong,
impervious to ordinary solvents (like acetone and cutting fluids) and is
hard enough to be a good substrate for the anti-scratch and
anti-reflection coatings. Polycarbonate is very soft, cannot really be
coated (the coating soon come off), and dissolves in just about every
solvent known. The high-index materials are also soft and vulnerable to
solvents, and expensive to boot. Nor are the lenses made of high-index
material all that much thinner than CR39 - the difference is ~20%.

Joe Gwinn

Ed Huntress January 18th 09 08:42 PM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info, Joe. I thought about researching this thing beforehand,
but I gave up on it when I found out that my primary insurance would not
cover the discount places, and I was going to have to go to the high-priced
spread to get my money back. So I went to the one that my ophthalmologist
recommended and put myself in his hands.

I'm not even sure what I bought, except that they cost my two insurance
companies a hell of a lot of money. g I should get them mid-week and I'll
report back.

--
Ed Huntress

Too_Many_Tools January 18th 09 10:17 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff or TMT?

On Jan 17, 6:19*pm, Wes wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Subject said it all.

Wes

Just plonk 'em, Wes. It's amazing how they disappear. d8-)

Sadly there is always the backscatter.

I'll put it in effect after I press send. *Oh, btw, I am half way done with your book,
I've been taking my time with it, so far I've enjoyed it and I haven't been too surprised.

It has been a good read so far. *I'm getting used to these bifocals too.. :)

Wes

There is an entire world beyond your nose. ;)

I am glad that you found an liberal optometrist to fit your glasses
(metal content).

TMT

Larry Jaques January 19th 09 02:42 AM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:12:26 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

I was one. sigh

with bifocals (distance plus reading) for ordinary use,

Ditto.

and large and
gawky reading glasses (14" focus) for close work in the shop, the large
being so the glasses also will deflect stuff flying out of the work.

I prefer the large lenses on my reading glasses (single-vision) so I
can hold my book at almost angle in bed while I read and still be able
to read through them.

I'm considering getting a second set of bifocals, being computer (~20"
focus) above and reading below for the office.

I have those and they're indispensible.

What I also find worth the money is combined anti-scratch and
anti-reflection coatings.

I love the anti-scratch coating, but I fiddle with my durned shedding
eyelashes so often that I would get too many fingerprints on the
anti-reflection coating and wear it off cleaning my glasses 50 times a
day as I do now. I STRONGLY recommend against them if you're in dusty,
oily, or finger-prone situations.

As for material, most people use plastic these days. The original
plastic eyeglass material is "CR39", later followed by polycarbonate and
some high-index (of refraction) materials. I went through the whole
what-to-get exercise, and chose CR39 because it is physically strong,
impervious to ordinary solvents (like acetone and cutting fluids) and is
hard enough to be a good substrate for the anti-scratch and
anti-reflection coatings. Polycarbonate is very soft, cannot really be
coated (the coating soon come off), and dissolves in just about every
solvent known. The high-index materials are also soft and vulnerable to
solvents, and expensive to boot. Nor are the lenses made of high-index
material all that much thinner than CR39 - the difference is ~20%.

I prefer the standard plastic lenses, too. Polycarbonate is awfully
distortion-prone (2-3 times that of regular plastic), and with my
conflicting astigmatisms, it would be unusable for me.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/coatings.htm says that most
plastic lenses have built-in anti-scratch coatings now. That was
echoed by my next-to-last optometrist, too.

Hawke[_2_] January 19th 09 04:34 AM

[...]

Since everybody else there will also be wearing really big smiles too how
will anyone be able to single you out? In fact, as of Tuesday about 2/3 of
Americans will be feeling good, good that George Bush is no longer the
president of this country. Of course, there will be that lunatic fringe who
will be sad and down-cast on Tuesday. We know who they are. A lot of them
are members of this group. They helped us get Bush as president. They stuck
by him no matter how bad a job he did and they will be attacking Obama by
Tuesday night. Nevertheless, we have turned a page in history. Our long
nightmare is finally over. We're now ready to start fresh with good people
in place instead of the crooked, dishonest, incompetent group that goes home
on Tuesday. Whoo hoo!

Hawke

Joseph Gwinn January 19th 09 02:43 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:12:26 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

[snip]

My eye doctor recommended against progressives, because about one half
of his patients that got them could not get used to them. So I stuck

I was one. sigh

with bifocals (distance plus reading) for ordinary use,

Ditto.

and large and
gawky reading glasses (14" focus) for close work in the shop, the large
being so the glasses also will deflect stuff flying out of the work.

I prefer the large lenses on my reading glasses (single-vision) so I
can hold my book at almost angle in bed while I read and still be able
to read through them.

I've been taking my glasses off to read. Gives new meaning to "nose in
a book".

I'm considering getting a second set of bifocals, being computer (~20"
focus) above and reading below for the office.

I have those and they're indispensible.

What I also find worth the money is combined anti-scratch and
anti-reflection coatings.

I love the anti-scratch coating, but I fiddle with my durned shedding
eyelashes so often that I would get too many fingerprints on the
anti-reflection coating and wear it off cleaning my glasses 50 times a
day as I do now. I STRONGLY recommend against them if you're in dusty,
oily, or finger-prone situations.

I blow dust and eyelashes off the lenses using my breath as needed. I
suppose compressed air would work, even if it carries some oil, but it
has never been necessary.

I have coated everything, in the shop, for many years, and no problem.

What I found was essential was a very good cleaning, once per day. I've
tried various approaches, but what works bets is also simplest. In the
morning I take the cotton T-shirt I'm about to don (as an undershirt),
breath heavily upon the lenses, and use the T-shirt to clean the lenses.
The T-shirt has not yet been worn, is free of people grease, and is very
absorbent. It sucks the grease right off the lenses, sharply reducing
the amount of dust that sticks to the lens during the day.

What also works is a clean microfiber towel. These towels can be
laundered, which is soon necessary, as it doesn't take much absorbed
grease to render the towel useless for cleaning lenses.

My glasses actually came with little (4" by 7") microfiber towels, but
the T-shirt works better, probably because it's always freshly
laundered, and far larger.

What does *not* work is lens cleaning tissue, as it leaves a film, which
attracts dust. Tissue is also pretty abrasive, despite the disclaimers.

[...]

I've heard this, but I don't know how important it is in practice.
Actually, if one has a large astigmatism correction, the non-uniformity
of the refractive index of the plastic is most likely swamped by the
prescription.

I've also heard complaints about chromatic distortion (where things get
colored fringes), but the brain soon adapts (because the eye lens also
has considerable chromatic distortion).

http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/coatings.htm says that most
plastic lenses have built-in anti-scratch coatings now. That was
echoed by my next-to-last optometrist, too.

The real purpose of the scratch-resistant coating is to prevent
cumulative frosting due to the daily cleaning. If you skid the glasses
across the floor, they *will* be scratched, despite the coating. CR39,
being the hardest plastic used for lenses, will be least affected, but
still there will be a scratch.

Joe Gwinn

Robert Swinney January 19th 09 05:47 PM

Who has done more damage to R.C.M, Cliff, TMT or Wes?

TMT sez:

"See you at the Obama inauguration..I'll be the guy with the really BIG
smile."

Be extremely careful with that big smile of yours. Secret Service operatives might think you are
mooning the new pres.

Bob Swinney

Ed Huntress January 23rd 09 09:12 PM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,

Hi, Joe. I promised I'd report back on my new glasses.

These are Varilux Physio 360 progressives, anti-reflection coating,
polycarbonate, two-year warranty. Retail price on the lenses is $619. Don't
try this without good insurance. g The Physio 360 supposedly is about as
good as it gets for people with typical prescriptions, which mine is.

Anyway, they're pretty impressive -- they sharpen my distance vision and
increase my depth of field on the short end (upper lenses) with no
noticeable distortion on the sides. I can even get a sharp read on the front
sights of my pistols without losing the distance sharpness. That's something
I didn't expect. Reading (lower lenses) is great, but with slight distortion
at the sides. It's not bothersome, however.

The problem is with reading the computer screen. That distance falls right
between the distance- and reading-lens ranges, in the transition range of
the progression, and, vertically, it's too narrow to be comfortable for
extended periods. And the side distortion there is enough to notice.
Overall, the window of sharpness is a bit small and it's annoying after a
while.

Given all the compromises with progressives, it looks like I'd give up too
much at the close and distant ends if I had a wider range in the middle. So
I'm stuck with low-power readers for extended work at the computer. I think.
What I've noticed is that I'm adapting to them even at the computer, and I
just spent an hour typing without realizing I was wearing the progressives.
So maybe it's an adjustment that I'll make naturally.

All in all, I'm pleased. I'm especially pleased that I've been able to walk
all around town, and up and down stairs, without falling down. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Joseph Gwinn January 23rd 09 11:34 PM

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,

Hi, Joe. I promised I'd report back on my new glasses.

These are Varilux Physio 360 progressives, anti-reflection coating,
polycarbonate, two-year warranty. Retail price on the lenses is $619. Don't
try this without good insurance. g The Physio 360 supposedly is about as
good as it gets for people with typical prescriptions, which mine is.

Anyway, they're pretty impressive -- they sharpen my distance vision and
increase my depth of field on the short end (upper lenses) with no
noticeable distortion on the sides. I can even get a sharp read on the front
sights of my pistols without losing the distance sharpness. That's something
I didn't expect. Reading (lower lenses) is great, but with slight distortion
at the sides. It's not bothersome, however.

Good to hear.

The problem is with reading the computer screen. That distance falls right
between the distance- and reading-lens ranges, in the transition range of
the progression, and, vertically, it's too narrow to be comfortable for
extended periods. And the side distortion there is enough to notice.
Overall, the window of sharpness is a bit small and it's annoying after a
while.

One of my coworkers, a programmer, has progressives, and you see him at
his computer for hours holding his head at an awkward angle. It would
kill my neck for sure.

A good combination would be computer foucus above (20" or so) and
reading focus below (14"), with progress between. I'll probably get
such glasses, but bifocal.

Given all the compromises with progressives, it looks like I'd give up too
much at the close and distant ends if I had a wider range in the middle. So
I'm stuck with low-power readers for extended work at the computer. I think.
What I've noticed is that I'm adapting to them even at the computer, and I
just spent an hour typing without realizing I was wearing the progressives.
So maybe it's an adjustment that I'll make naturally.

All in all, I'm pleased. I'm especially pleased that I've been able to walk
all around town, and up and down stairs, without falling down. d8-)

If they aren't making you sick, you'll likely adjust.

The only time I had a prescription fail was when the lenses were for
very different focus distances. I could feel my eyes racking back and
forth, trying to find a suitable compromise. Got a new, correct,
prescription. The problem was that eyeglasses are normally fitted one
eye at a time, which rarely fails. Now, I always tell them that they
have to do the final adjustment with both eyes open, especially for
close-work glasses prescriptions.

It's amazing what people (well, sophmores) can adjust to. There were
some scientific experiments where the subjects wore glasses that turned
everything upsidedown. After a few days, no problem. Less drama on
return to normal.

Joe Gwinn

Ed Huntress January 24th 09 07:04 AM

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

I don't think I'd be able to tolerate that. I'm wearing some low-power
readers right now and they're better than the progressives for working at
the computer. I'd hoped I wouldn't have to change glasses any more, but it
looks like I'll still need the readers for working long periods at the
computer.

Still, I can't complain. That's a minor PITA compared to having to change
glasses to read every soup-can label.

I wouldn't wear these in the shop, either. My shop glasses turn me into an
instant geek. g I wear low-power readers with plastic frames to hold my
B&L swing-away loupe (they're lousy on wireframes), and I usually have my
magnifying visor on at the same time, swung up over my head. My wife can't
stop laughing when she sees me fully equipped. d8-)

A good combination would be computer foucus above (20" or so) and
reading focus below (14"), with progress between. I'll probably get
such glasses, but bifocal.

They'd be a good idea. Maybe I'll try that sometime in the future.

[...]

I'll try to remember that. This is the first pair of prescription glasses
I've needed in 30 years, because my only issue was a little farsightedness
that was easy to deal with using magnifying readers. After my laser surgery
late last year, I was feeling some eyestrain at longer distances as well.

It's amazing what people (well, sophmores) can adjust to. There were
some scientific experiments where the subjects wore glasses that turned
everything upsidedown. After a few days, no problem. Less drama on
return to normal.

I remember that research. In fact, they had done that at Michigan State a
few years before I was a student there -- probably duplicating the original
research. Very interesting.

BTW, I got some info on the polycarbonates from Varilux. The thing they push
with their expensive lenses is their laser-controlled feedback system to map
the back side of the lens in grinding, and some other technology I didn't
dig into, but they also have a patented cool-grinding technique for use with
polycarbonate. Apparently the material is very prone to distortion if you
grind them the same way that they grind CR-39.

I didn't question this and I don't know how accurate that is, but it was
interesting.

--
Ed Huntress

Joseph Gwinn January 24th 09 09:21 PM

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

The only missing fashion article is a half-mask respirator to handle the
oil mist.

It makes me look like a preying mantis.

[...]

I thought that CR39 was cast to final optical shape of the blank at the
factory, and then subsequently edge-ground to fit the frames by the
optician. This allows all the fancy, expensive precision optical-level
grinding to be done to the steel mold, which then makes many thousands
of lenses.

I never looked into polycarbonate, but I really doubt that they can
afford to grind each spectacle lens individually. I bet the lenses are
formed (hot-pressed?) in accurate steel molds as well.

Maybe the cool grinding is so the mold won't distort while being ground
to shape. This is widely done when making steel items to 0.0001" (2.54
micron) accuracy, and a wavelength of red light is about 0.6 microns.

Joe Gwinn

Ed Huntress January 24th 09 09:35 PM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip

[...]

'Dunno. The guy I asked didn't have reason to believe that I would know
anything about grinding or molds, and maybe he doesn't, either.

I should call Varilux itself, just to satisfy my curiosity.

--
Ed Huntress

John R. Carroll[_2_] January 24th 09 09:44 PM

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip

[...]

http://www.nanotechsys.com/

JC

Ed Huntress January 24th 09 09:58 PM

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip

[...]

Would you believe that I interviewed Wayne Moore about that in 1980, and
published some of the first photos of Moore's first lens-turning machines?

They started by making aspherical lenses for satellite cameras. Twenty-nine
years ago. Pretty good turning finish, eh? g

--
Ed Huntress

John R. Carroll[_2_] January 24th 09 09:59 PM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip

I should call Varilux itself, just to satisfy my curiosity.

http://www.nanotechsys.com/

Would you believe that I interviewed Wayne Moore about that in 1980, and
published some of the first photos of Moore's first lens-turning machines?

Ed I believe you probably interviewed Jesus G

They started by making aspherical lenses for satellite cameras.
Twenty-nine years ago. Pretty good turning finish, eh? g

Pretty good. Black Dragon worked at a place with a couple of these.
Apparently the pee cee is a weak link.

JC

Ed Huntress January 24th 09 10:56 PM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip

I should call Varilux itself, just to satisfy my curiosity.

http://www.nanotechsys.com/

Would you believe that I interviewed Wayne Moore about that in 1980, and
published some of the first photos of Moore's first lens-turning
machines?

Ed I believe you probably interviewed Jesus G

HAHAhaha-hoho...wheeze...

God, you can make a guy feel old, John. I had lunch a few times with Wayne's
father, Dick, too.

BTW, have you ever met _Modern Machine Shop's_ Mark Albert? A photo of him
is on their website. Mark is about the same age as me. They call him "Dorian
Gray" because he never ages. I look old enough to be his father. g

They started by making aspherical lenses for satellite cameras.
Twenty-nine years ago. Pretty good turning finish, eh? g

Pretty good. Black Dragon worked at a place with a couple of these.
Apparently the pee cee is a weak link.

Hmm. I don't remember the controller. The first couple of machines were in a
windowless room that few people got to see. I think they were making the
lenses for spy satellites. I remember I wasn't allowed to get too close.

--
Ed Huntress

John R. Carroll[_2_] January 25th 09 04:22 PM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

snip

BTW, have you ever met _Modern Machine Shop's_ Mark Albert? A photo of him
is on their website. Mark is about the same age as me. They call him
"Dorian Gray" because he never ages. I look old enough to be his father.

I might have, I don't know. Your description doesn't bring anyone to mind.
I've met Shawn and his wife a couple of times and know the guys from
Gardner.
A bunch of us went out for a night on the town during a trade show in 1998
and I was introduced to this great big guy who looked like he hadn't slept
in a month. A real character and he was someone's international publication
manager or something.

They started by making aspherical lenses for satellite cameras.
Twenty-nine years ago. Pretty good turning finish, eh? g

Pretty good. Black Dragon worked at a place with a couple of these.
Apparently the pee cee is a weak link.

Hmm. I don't remember the controller.

Delta Tau.
PC based, open architecture.

JC

Gerald Miller January 25th 09 11:02 PM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

BTDT - +2.5 optivisor over +2 reading glasses and dragging my nose
over the work piece

A good combination would be computer foucus above (20" or so) and
reading focus below (14"), with progress between. I'll probably get
such glasses, but bifocal.

Exactly what I have on at the moment, I also wear these to bed for my
half-hour "Drop the book on my chest 14 times" relaxation period. I
have another pair, only with side shields, hanging beside the shop
door.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Joe Pfeiffer January 26th 09 12:35 AM

Eyeglasses

Something that has helped me a lot on my computer monitor has been
switching to an LCD -- not because of sharpness or anything else, but
because I'm able to put it far enough away on my desk that I can still
focus on it! Yeah, no doubt in another couple of years that won't be
enough any more...

Ed Huntress January 26th 09 12:44 AM

Eyeglasses

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
Something that has helped me a lot on my computer monitor has been
switching to an LCD -- not because of sharpness or anything else, but
because I'm able to put it far enough away on my desk that I can still
focus on it! Yeah, no doubt in another couple of years that won't be
enough any more...

I figure I'll just stand off around 15 feet and use my binoculars. d8-)

I'm getting used to these progressives at the computer. I'm using them right
now, and I hardly notice the narrow window.

--
Ed Huntress

[email protected] January 26th 09 01:30 AM

Eyeglasses (was Who has done more damage to RCM)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:12:31 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

[...]

Try moving yourself or the monitor vertically. It worked well for me
when I first got mine many years ago.

One time I got a new pair and had severe problems with the computer
screen. The transition point was way too low and I had to tilt my head
up as if I was looking a foot over the monitor to focus correctly. The
optician wasn't happy when he had to replace them for free 8-))

Ed Huntress January 26th 09 01:40 AM

wrote:

[...]

OK, I tried (just for the experiment) moving my chair down, so I'm viewing
through the upper lenses. That's not bad, but they're focused just a bit too
far. I know that the bottom lenses focus too closely.

What is it that moving vertically accomplished for you? Are you looking
strictly through the upper or lower lenses now?

One time I got a new pair and had severe problems with the computer
screen. The transition point was way too low and I had to tilt my head
up as if I was looking a foot over the monitor to focus correctly. The
optician wasn't happy when he had to replace them for free 8-))

I made a big point with my optician that I spend a lot of time at the
computer, and want them for that purpose. But as I see what the dynamics are
of this whole thing, I wonder what I would accomplish if they were better at
the computer.

I can see it fine with low-power (+175) magnifier reading glasses, so that
may be what I have to do when I'm spending long sessions of writing. For
ordinary online use, I'm not having any trouble now with the progressives.
Well, they're still a little bit of a PITA, but I seem to be adapting.

Thanks for the info. All tips and experience are welcome.

--
Ed Huntress