Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Eyeglasses

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:57:31 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:44:02 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
. net...
Something that has helped me a lot on my computer monitor has been
switching to an LCD -- not because of sharpness or anything else, but
because I'm able to put it far enough away on my desk that I can still
focus on it! Yeah, no doubt in another couple of years that won't be
enough any more...

I figure I'll just stand off around 15 feet and use my binoculars. d8-)

I'm getting used to these progressives at the computer. I'm using them
right
now, and I hardly notice the narrow window.

If you had a cervical fusion, you would!

I'll bet. Fortunately for me, by spine is still loose as a goose.

Does it require multiple pairs of glasses, so you don't have to move your
head as much?

That was part of what killed progressives for me. I couldn't see out
of 80% of the lens so my head was always turning as my eyes had always
done. Swiveling your head like your eyes puts a REAL strain on the
spine and musculature, especially during those first weeks. I had head
and neck aches, couldn't see my rear view mirror without pivoting my
head, and got really, really angry about all the limitations and pain
before demanding REAL glasses from my optometrist's office mangler who
had talked me into the $600 progressives. PTUI!

I'm perfectly happy with 3 pairs of glasses. Large single-vision for
reading in bed, bifocals for computer/reading work, and large bifocals
for fulltime distance/reading.

This thread reminds me that it's time to go have my eyes checked
again.

--
Even with the best of maps and instruments,
we can never fully chart our journeys.