Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting compressor deal

We'll see how it plays out.

I figure that out of the three main components (motor, pump and tank)
at least two are good. Maybe all three, as often happens with
compressors. Each should be worth more than what I paid. Should be
fun.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

I bought the same model compressor with a single phase motor several years
ago with a patch welded on the tank. I found a good 200 gal. horizontal tank
and swapped all the goodies to it and it has been my main compressor since.
I cut the mounting plate off the old tank and welded it to the mounting
plate on the new tank. That made things so much easier.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-07, Up North wrote:

"Ignoramus13440" wrote in message

We'll see how it plays out.

I figure that out of the three main components (motor, pump and tank)
at least two are good. Maybe all three, as often happens with
compressors. Each should be worth more than what I paid. Should be
fun.

I bought the same model compressor with a single phase motor several years
ago with a patch welded on the tank. I found a good 200 gal. horizontal tank
and swapped all the goodies to it and it has been my main compressor since.
I cut the mounting plate off the old tank and welded it to the mounting
plate on the new tank. That made things so much easier.

Nice. 200 gallon tank, surely takes a while to pump up to pressure.

I wish I had a yard like Gunner, for a tank like that.

This compressor, clearly has a three phase motor, though.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-07, Up North wrote:

"Ignoramus13440" wrote in message

We'll see how it plays out.

I figure that out of the three main components (motor, pump and tank)
at least two are good. Maybe all three, as often happens with
compressors. Each should be worth more than what I paid. Should be
fun.

I bought the same model compressor with a single phase motor several years
ago with a patch welded on the tank. I found a good 200 gal. horizontal tank
and swapped all the goodies to it and it has been my main compressor since.
I cut the mounting plate off the old tank and welded it to the mounting
plate on the new tank. That made things so much easier.

Nice. 200 gallon tank, surely takes a while to pump up to pressure.

Speaking of compressor tanks, I'm looking for a cheap 25-40 gal or so
compressor tank which does not need to be in perfect condition as it
will not be pressurized above about 5 PSI in my target application.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-07, Up North wrote:

[...]

What is your application?

I recently bought a cheap 22 gallon compressor to convert into a
forge. Last night, I actually started making a burner for it. I want
to try hard to use natural gas, though I admit that success is not
assured by any means.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 7, 12:00*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Speaking of compressor tanks, I'm looking for a cheap 25-40 gal or so
compressor tank which does not need to be in perfect condition as it
will not be pressurized above about 5 PSI in my target application

Old water heaters are usually free.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-07, Up North wrote:

"Ignoramus13440" wrote in message

We'll see how it plays out.

I figure that out of the three main components (motor, pump and tank)
at least two are good. Maybe all three, as often happens with
compressors. Each should be worth more than what I paid. Should be
fun.

I bought the same model compressor with a single phase motor several
years
ago with a patch welded on the tank. I found a good 200 gal. horizontal
tank
and swapped all the goodies to it and it has been my main compressor
since.
I cut the mounting plate off the old tank and welded it to the mounting
plate on the new tank. That made things so much easier.

Nice. 200 gallon tank, surely takes a while to pump up to pressure.

I started thinking that seems pretty big at 200 gallons. I went out and
measured it and it is only a paltry 152.99 gallons. I really don't notice
the run time as I use quite a bit of air running my CNC plasma cutting table
and paint booth. My old 5 hp Champion compressor would just barely keep up.
Steve

I wish I had a yard like Gunner, for a tank like that.

I do have a large yard almost filled with goodies. It comes in handy when I
need something out of "inventory"

This compressor, clearly has a three phase motor, though.
--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-07, Up North wrote:

[...]

Storage / "air bladder" tank for CNC plasma cutting water table. 24" x
36" cut area x somewhere in the 4"-6" depth, hence the 25-40 gal
capacity. Air pressure only goes high enough to displace coolant from
the tank up to the table area 18" above.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Up North wrote:
(snip)
I started thinking that seems pretty big at 200 gallons. I went out and
measured it and it is only a paltry 152.99 gallons. I really don't notice
the run time as I use quite a bit of air running my CNC plasma cutting table
and paint booth. My old 5 hp Champion compressor would just barely keep up.
Steve

I've got a 200 gallon tank on my Quincy:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...shop/comp1.jpg

If I remember right, it takes about 5 minutes to get to 120 PSI from empty
using a 15hp motor. I'll try and time it the next time I use it. I might
be using the power hammer this weekend.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-07, Up North wrote:

[...]

Nice. I once sold a compressor with a 240 gallon tank ("mother of all
compressors"). That's huge.

I wish I had a yard like Gunner, for a tank like that.

I do have a large yard almost filled with goodies. It comes in handy when I
need something out of "inventory"

Here in Illinois, the weather is not as friendly to "inventory" and it
quickly degrades into rust.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-07, Up North wrote:

[...]

Minnesota too. Gunner has it nice with the low humidity.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:28:12 -0600, "Up North"
wrote:

Here in Illinois, the weather is not as friendly to "inventory" and it
quickly degrades into rust.

Minnesota too. Gunner has it nice with the low humidity.

Im in the middle of one of the worst fog seasons Ive seen in many years.
Ive been out with the paste wax a lot lately.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:01:09 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

Here in Illinois, the weather is not as friendly to "inventory" and it
quickly degrades into rust.

Minnesota too. Gunner has it nice with the low humidity.

Im in the middle of one of the worst fog seasons Ive seen in many years.
Ive been out with the paste wax a lot lately.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest - this is where the rain jokes began.

Interesting phenomena I noted this evening. There is fog over the
river, filling the river bed. Tends to also be forming over the
standing water, too. Yeehaa.
The road isn't closed, yet. Down to alternating one lane. Will
be interesting to see about getting home tonight.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here in Illinois, the weather is not as friendly to "inventory" and it
quickly degrades into rust.

Minnesota too. Gunner has it nice with the low humidity.

Im in the middle of one of the worst fog seasons Ive seen in many years.
Ive been out with the paste wax a lot lately.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest - this is where the rain jokes began.

Interesting phenomena I noted this evening. There is fog over the
river, filling the river bed. Tends to also be forming over the
standing water, too. Yeehaa.
The road isn't closed, yet. Down to alternating one lane. Will
be interesting to see about getting home tonight.

A year ago tonight I was taking pictures of dew worms crawling on the
driveway and patio, temperature was +14C. Now it is -3C with 3" fresh
snow over the last 24 hours.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Pete C. fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:53:04 -0600:

Storage / "air bladder" tank for CNC plasma cutting water table. 24" x
36" cut area x somewhere in the 4"-6" depth, hence the 25-40 gal
capacity. Air pressure only goes high enough to displace coolant from
the tank up to the table area 18" above.

The last wet cutting table I saw was a tank within a tank.
The bigger tank is open topped, and the smaller tank is facing down.
There was about 1/2" of space all around the perimeter.
Air is introduced at the top of the smaller down facing tank and the
water is pushed out the 1/2" gap and covers the top of the smaller
tank, providing the wet cutting surface. Purging the air lets the
water drain back down. Evaporation is minimal when not in use due to
the small air/water interface when drained.

--

Dan H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:

[...]

That design is probably better for large tables, but for a 24" x 36" a
separate tank allowing full drain down for cleaning of the cutting table
and retrieval of the cutouts is better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here in Illinois, the weather is not as friendly to "inventory" and it
quickly degrades into rust.

Minnesota too. Gunner has it nice with the low humidity.

Im in the middle of one of the worst fog seasons Ive seen in many years.
Ive been out with the paste wax a lot lately.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest - this is where the rain jokes began.

Interesting phenomena I noted this evening. There is fog over the
river, filling the river bed. Tends to also be forming over the
standing water, too. Yeehaa.
The road isn't closed, yet. Down to alternating one lane. Will
be interesting to see about getting home tonight.

Id be happy to be going someplace. Ive been home since the Friday
before Christmas. Not a single service call since then. I figured the
phone would start ringing Monday last....nothing.

I start cold calling clients tommorow....sigh

But..the shop and the property are looking pretty good. Shrug.
Ive been staying busy. I knew this was going to be the slow
season...but Crom..not this slow....

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
(snip)
But..the shop and the property are looking pretty good. Shrug.
Ive been staying busy. I knew this was going to be the slow
season...but Crom..not this slow....

Gunner

That reminds me, have you tried out Google Crom yet?

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp09032008.shtml
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 23:43:11 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:31:27 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

wrote:

Here in Illinois, the weather is not as friendly to "inventory" and it
quickly degrades into rust.

Minnesota too. Gunner has it nice with the low humidity.

Im in the middle of one of the worst fog seasons Ive seen in many years.
Ive been out with the paste wax a lot lately.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest - this is where the rain jokes began.

Interesting phenomena I noted this evening. There is fog over the
river, filling the river bed. Tends to also be forming over the
standing water, too. Yeehaa.
The road isn't closed, yet. Down to alternating one lane. Will
be interesting to see about getting home tonight.

Id be happy to be going someplace. Ive been home since the Friday
before Christmas. Not a single service call since then. I figured the
phone would start ringing Monday last....nothing.

I start cold calling clients tommorow....sigh

I got to start cold calling potential employers. Most of the
shops were closed for the holidays, either due to cutbacks, or the
snow (and now the floods). Not all the shops were closed, buddy of
mine got called in for an interview - they want to pay him 50% more
and put him in charge of the shift. Some guys have all the skills.

But..the shop and the property are looking pretty good. Shrug.
Ive been staying busy. I knew this was going to be the slow
season...but Crom..not this slow....

Don't worry - the light at the end of the tunnel? That's an eight
hundred pound gorilla with a flashlight.

Um, Pete?

I heard that the light at the end of the tunnel was muzzle flash.

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:45:25 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Todd Rich
scrawled the following:

Gunner Asch wrote:
(snip)
But..the shop and the property are looking pretty good. Shrug.
Ive been staying busy. I knew this was going to be the slow
season...but Crom..not this slow....

Gunner

That reminds me, have you tried out Google Crom yet?

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp09032008.shtml

Most excellent, sir.

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:45:25 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
(snip)
But..the shop and the property are looking pretty good. Shrug.
Ive been staying busy. I knew this was going to be the slow
season...but Crom..not this slow....

Gunner

That reminds me, have you tried out Google Crom yet?

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp09032008.shtml

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:45:25 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

(snip)
That reminds me, have you tried out Google Crom yet?

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp09032008.shtml

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Gunner

Thought you would like that one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:45:25 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
(snip)
But..the shop and the property are looking pretty good. Shrug.
Ive been staying busy. I knew this was going to be the slow
season...but Crom..not this slow....

Gunner

That reminds me, have you tried out Google Crom yet?

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp09032008.shtml

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Gunner

Thou Cowardly Lizard!

Thou hast dueled with Chicken Little Bird Brain - and have failed to
slay the foul fowl - for he posteth still!

What MOCKERY is this?!?!

I shall reduce thy bandwidth by 64KB!

CROM'S WILL BE DONE!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Larry Jaques
wrote on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 06:20:07

wrote:

[...]

That thought also has occurred to me.

"The light at the end of the tunnel is an enemy tunnel rat
shooting at you."

toodles
pyotr