Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:07:59 -0700, robert bowman
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Id like to *have at least 15 pairs, 20 would be good but by the time
shipping and so forth is added, $40 adds up really quick

From some of your statements, you don't think anything about going to the
range and burning off $40 worth of ammo. I fully understand -- I turn into
a cheapskate at the damnedest moments but then I talk myself back to
reality.

A friend's wife, when he'd bust her chops about some household expense,
would reply "you ****ed more than that down a barroom urinal last night."

I dont go camping much anymore, and Ive not been night fishing in years,
so my lantern usage is largely very limited anymore. But like fire
extinguishers, they are mighty nice to have on hand when you really
really need one.

I found 2 more lanterns this morning....shrug. I had previously stored
a decent quantity of fuel for them back in 1999, Something on the order
of 10 gallons of so, and since then have given away or burned up about 4
gallons.

Ive changed out some of the lantern generators to multifuel, so I can
burn gasoline or oil field "drip gas"(which works surprisingly well in
lanterns)

But to the point...I probably wont need 2 mantles in the next 2 yrs, but
on the other hand, if the economy goes into the toilet, which I suspect
it will, I might need a lot more of them then anticipated. They dont
rot, they dont spoil, and they dont go bad if stored in a clean dry
place...hence my comment that my next of kin (with luck) will be
peddling them at the big He Died of Old Age Big Assed Yard sale in the
distant future. Along with the 12 or so fire extinguishers Ive got
mounted here and there around the property and shops.

If they are gonna sit in a clean dry place for 30 yrs, Id rather not pay
a lot for them, but on the other hand, if I have to use them, Id rather
have some on hand that actually work properly.

Shrug

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:07:59 -0700, robert bowman
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Ammo and components are getting expensive. Got to economize somewhere.

Collectors of Curio and Relic arms are huge consumers of Ramen noodles. Not bad with a
teaspoon of butter and a can of Save-a-Lot sweet peas btw.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:00:03 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I dont go camping much anymore, and Ive not been night fishing in years,
so my lantern usage is largely very limited anymore. But like fire
extinguishers, they are mighty nice to have on hand when you really
really need one.

Only if they work - and the plastic head Kidde's don't always.

But to the point...I probably wont need 2 mantles in the next 2 yrs, but
on the other hand, if the economy goes into the toilet, which I suspect
it will, I might need a lot more of them then anticipated. They dont
rot, they dont spoil, and they dont go bad if stored in a clean dry
place...hence my comment that my next of kin (with luck) will be
peddling them at the big He Died of Old Age Big Assed Yard sale in the
distant future. Along with the 12 or so fire extinguishers Ive got
mounted here and there around the property and shops.

If they are gonna sit in a clean dry place for 30 yrs, Id rather not pay
a lot for them, but on the other hand, if I have to use them, Id rather
have some on hand that actually work properly.

Coleman used to sell little plastic storage cups that snapped onto
the bottom of the lantern tank. Probably can still be found.

Just the right size to hold a spare generator and wrench, several
mantles, and a book or two of matches if the sparker failed - And
those essentials were always with the lantern they fit.

I have a few for mine, and a couple of the blow-molded plastic carry
cases that cover the whole lantern so they don't get broken.

Do need to check out a few real antiques I've got that need pump
cups and globes - the ones with the words COLEMAN punched in the
little grille ring between the fuel tank and the mantle chamber.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Ammo and components are getting expensive. Got to economize somewhere.

Collectors of Curio and Relic arms are huge consumers of Ramen noodles. Not bad with a
teaspoon of butter and a can of Save-a-Lot sweet peas btw.

Wes

Indeed. Deciding between MickyDs for 2 weeks or that rare M-N variant?
The choice is obvious!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I dont go camping much anymore, and Ive not been night fishing in years,
so my lantern usage is largely very limited anymore. But like fire
extinguishers, they are mighty nice to have on hand when you really
really need one.

Only if they work - and the plastic head Kidde's don't always.

Indeed. Most of mine are the 20lb industials. No one ever buys em at
auctions.

But to the point...I probably wont need 2 mantles in the next 2 yrs, but
on the other hand, if the economy goes into the toilet, which I suspect
it will, I might need a lot more of them then anticipated. They dont
rot, they dont spoil, and they dont go bad if stored in a clean dry
place...hence my comment that my next of kin (with luck) will be
peddling them at the big He Died of Old Age Big Assed Yard sale in the
distant future. Along with the 12 or so fire extinguishers Ive got
mounted here and there around the property and shops.

If they are gonna sit in a clean dry place for 30 yrs, Id rather not pay
a lot for them, but on the other hand, if I have to use them, Id rather
have some on hand that actually work properly.

Coleman used to sell little plastic storage cups that snapped onto
the bottom of the lantern tank. Probably can still be found.

hard to find.

Just the right size to hold a spare generator and wrench, several
mantles, and a book or two of matches if the sparker failed - And
those essentials were always with the lantern they fit.

I have a few for mine, and a couple of the blow-molded plastic carry
cases that cover the whole lantern so they don't get broken.

Do need to check out a few real antiques I've got that need pump
cups and globes - the ones with the words COLEMAN punched in the
little grille ring between the fuel tank and the mantle chamber.

-- Bruce --

OoooH! Those ARE old ones.

Ive got some of the tiny little Peak 1 222 backpacking lanterns with
busted globes. They want a ****ing arm and a leg for replacement
globes. Im thinking about replacing the globes with fine stainless steel
screen stock.

Mantles for them are hard to find too. Smaller than the regular mantles.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I dont go camping much anymore, and Ive not been night fishing in years,
so my lantern usage is largely very limited anymore. But like fire
extinguishers, they are mighty nice to have on hand when you really
really need one.

Only if they work - and the plastic head Kidde's don't always.

Indeed. Most of mine are the 20lb industials. No one ever buys em at
auctions.

Probably because the auctioneers overprice them - you have to know
when you can just take it home, or when it needs service before use.

If it's an Orphan Unit it's almost worthless - it can be refilled,
but if it needs any parts - even simple stuff like O-rings - it's
trash. General Fire Extinguisher Corp is one I've hit that is gone.
Or if some fool peeled off the label or serial number.

For liability the service shops have to buy the repair parts from the
OEM or the UL Listing is void. Silly, but true. (Now if you went and
got your own fresh O-rings and put them on, then took it back for the
refill, it's no problem because they would never know - see "Plausible
Deniability". But not all shops will play along.)

If they try getting $20 at auction or a garage sale for a used
extinguisher that costs $60 new with a current Hydro and charge, it's
a deal. But if you are going to buy a used unit and immediately have
to go dump $25 to $30 on a Hydrotest and fill, suddenly it isn't worth
more than about $5. Might as well buy new.

Well, unless it's a specialty unit that is worth more - like that
20-pound Purple-K in the garage that was only 1/2 pound short on
powder when I bought it. Them suckers are NOT cheap.

And you have to go to the FE shop that actually does the hydrotest
themselves, or you'll pay another $10 for your service guy to take it
to the other shop in town with a test cell.

Same with Class D extinguishers, there's a reason the FD will let
most machine shops have a bucket of Class D powder and a scoop - they
charge ridiculous prices for a Class D FE. Getting one surplus that
someone else paid the big bucks for new makes much more sense.

Do need to check out a few real antiques I've got that need pump
cups and globes - the ones with the words COLEMAN punched in the
little grille ring between the fuel tank and the mantle chamber.

OoooH! Those ARE old ones.

Too beat up to use (or in this case missing a few pieces), too good
to just throw out. The perennial Catch-22 of r.c.m

Ive got some of the tiny little Peak 1 222 backpacking lanterns with
busted globes. They want a ****ing arm and a leg for replacement
globes. Im thinking about replacing the globes with fine stainless steel
screen stock.

Mantles for them are hard to find too. Smaller than the regular mantles.

Look around - the globes and mantles might be ridiculous straight
from Coleman, but the second-source lenses from Taiwan might be more
to your liking. Or you hit a Mom & Pop Hardware Store going out of
business.