Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:00:03 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I dont go camping much anymore, and Ive not been night fishing in years,
so my lantern usage is largely very limited anymore. But like fire
extinguishers, they are mighty nice to have on hand when you really
really need one.

Only if they work - and the plastic head Kidde's don't always.

But to the point...I probably wont need 2 mantles in the next 2 yrs, but
on the other hand, if the economy goes into the toilet, which I suspect
it will, I might need a lot more of them then anticipated. They dont
rot, they dont spoil, and they dont go bad if stored in a clean dry
place...hence my comment that my next of kin (with luck) will be
peddling them at the big He Died of Old Age Big Assed Yard sale in the
distant future. Along with the 12 or so fire extinguishers Ive got
mounted here and there around the property and shops.

If they are gonna sit in a clean dry place for 30 yrs, Id rather not pay
a lot for them, but on the other hand, if I have to use them, Id rather
have some on hand that actually work properly.

Coleman used to sell little plastic storage cups that snapped onto
the bottom of the lantern tank. Probably can still be found.

Just the right size to hold a spare generator and wrench, several
mantles, and a book or two of matches if the sparker failed - And
those essentials were always with the lantern they fit.

I have a few for mine, and a couple of the blow-molded plastic carry
cases that cover the whole lantern so they don't get broken.

Do need to check out a few real antiques I've got that need pump
cups and globes - the ones with the words COLEMAN punched in the
little grille ring between the fuel tank and the mantle chamber.

-- Bruce --