Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bronze etchings?

While cleaning my parents garage, i found some artwork that i remember
seeing in their home in the 1950's.There are two etchings? of horses
on raised or embossed material which looks like thin aluminum or
bronze material and attached to wood with many small rivets. I was
just curious if anyone was familiar with this technique? It appears
that it is all done by hand as opposed to a template of some type.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in
:

While cleaning my parents garage, i found some artwork that i remember
seeing in their home in the 1950's.There are two etchings? of horses
on raised or embossed material which looks like thin aluminum or
bronze material and attached to wood with many small rivets. I was
just curious if anyone was familiar with this technique? It appears
that it is all done by hand as opposed to a template of some type.

Are the figures raised or are they impressed upon a raised surface?

Your description could fit either type.

About that time there were people who'd carve a scene into wood and then
hammer sheet metal into the form using dulled chisels to produce the
desired level of definitions. Others would place a relatively thin sheet on
a bed of sand and "emboss" pictures from various sources by means of a
stylus.

The work can also be done with large dies and a stamping press.

There are many ways to accomplish either form and, for the most part, each
way can be automated if the demand is sufficient.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 20, 9:27*pm, "
wrote:
While cleaning my parents garage, i found some artwork that i remember
seeing in their home in the 1950's.There are two etchings? of horses
on *raised or embossed material which looks like thin aluminum or
bronze material and attached to wood with many small rivets. I was
just curious if anyone was familiar with this technique? It appears
that it is all done by hand as opposed to a template of some type.

Sounds like repouss to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repouss%C3%A9_and_chasing

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 20, 8:18*pm, "RAM³" wrote:
" wrote :

[...]

Good question. When i go back to their house, i'll check. I would say
from memory it looks like repouss which another poster mentioned.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 21, 3:19*am, "RAM³" wrote:
" wrote in news:a3b20fd4-f818-
:

On Dec 20, 9:27*pm, "
wrote:
While cleaning my parents garage, i found some artwork that i remember
seeing in their home in the 1950's.There are two etchings? of horses
on *raised or embossed material which looks like thin aluminum or
bronze material and attached to wood with many small rivets. I was
just curious if anyone was familiar with this technique? It appears
that it is all done by hand as opposed to a template of some type.

Sounds like repouss to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repouss%C3%A9_and_chasing

Karl

That's the term I was looking for...

Thanx!

I wasn't paying attention when I was typing it though. It's spelled:
repousse
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in
:

On Dec 21, 3:19*am, "RAM³" wrote:
" wrote in
:

On Dec 20, 9:27*pm, "
wrote:
While cleaning my parents garage, i found some artwork that i
remember seeing in their home in the 1950's.There are two
etchings? of horses on *raised or embossed material which looks
like thin aluminum or bronze material and attached to wood with
many small rivets. I was just curious if anyone was familiar with
this technique? It appears that it is all done by hand as opposed
to a template of some type.

Sounds like repouss to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repouss%C3%A9_and_chasing

Karl

That's the term I was looking for...

Thanx!

I wasn't paying attention when I was typing it though. It's spelled:
repousse
Karl

You forgot the accent over the final "e" but I knew what you meant. GRIN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 22, 1:24*am, "RAM³" wrote:
" wrote :

On Dec 21, 3:19*am, "RAM³" wrote:
" wrote in
:

On Dec 20, 9:27*pm, "
wrote:
While cleaning my parents garage, i found some artwork that i
remember seeing in their home in the 1950's.There are two
etchings? of horses on *raised or embossed material which looks
like thin aluminum or bronze material and attached to wood with
many small rivets. I was just curious if anyone was familiar with
this technique? It appears that it is all done by hand as opposed
to a template of some type.

Sounds like repouss to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repouss%C3%A9_and_chasing

Karl

That's the term I was looking for...

Thanx!

I wasn't paying attention when I was typing it though. It's spelled:
repousse
Karl

You forgot the accent over the final "e" but I knew what you meant. GRIN

My e key didn't have one. That must be on French keyboards.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-23, wrote:
On Dec 22, 1:24 am, "RAM³" wrote:

* *[ ... ]

You forgot the accent over the final "e" but I knew what you meant. GRIN
My e key didn't have one. That must be on French keyboards.

* *You mean like this: é

* *On my keyboard, you press and release in sequence:

* * * * * *[COMPOSE], "e", "'"

and you get it -- but not all systems will be able to display it, which
is why I normally don't use them.

* *Not sure what sequence is needed on a Windows box. *The above is
for a Sun system with their keyboard.

* *Enjoy,
* * * * * *DoN.

Wintel: Hold down ALT and type in 130 on the numeric keypad = é

Not quite as intuitive as cleaving an apostrophe to a lower case e.

--Winston

I'm on a laptop right now will have to try it later.
Thanks
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-23, wrote:
On Dec 22, 1:24 am, "RAM³" wrote:

* *[ ... ]

You forgot the accent over the final "e" but I knew what you meant. GRIN
My e key didn't have one. That must be on French keyboards.

* *You mean like this: é

* *On my keyboard, you press and release in sequence:

* * * * * *[COMPOSE], "e", "'"

and you get it -- but not all systems will be able to display it, which
is why I normally don't use them.

* *Not sure what sequence is needed on a Windows box. *The above is
for a Sun system with their keyboard.

* *Enjoy,
* * * * * *DoN.

Wintel: Hold down ALT and type in 130 on the numeric keypad = é

Not quite as intuitive as cleaving an apostrophe to a lower case e.

--Winston

I'm on a laptop right now will have to try it later.
Thanks
Karl

There use to be a program for this that came with Windows.
Don't know if it still does...

Look under Programs-Accessories for "Character Map".

If it is there (Character Map) you can use that for finding
odd characters and the "Alt" number keystrokes for creating
them. Alternatively you can use the same program to select
them (copy to clip-board) and then paste into your
application.

Do bear in mind though that a lot of us won't see them
correctly, depending on what you choose and the program we
are using to view news groups with.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-23, wrote:
On Dec 22, 1:24 am, "RAM³" wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Some characters are different for different fonts, as well.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 24, 9:53Â*pm, Winston wrote:
wrote:

(...)

I'm on a laptop right now will have to try it later.
Thanks
Karl

Here's a user - friendly chart:http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/ALTchrc.html

˜º

--Winston

Bookmarked. Could have used that a couple weeks ago. I remembered the
character map but didn't remember where it was and thought it only
worked in Office.
Thanks
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]