Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default Bronze etchings?

" wrote in
:

While cleaning my parents garage, i found some artwork that i remember
seeing in their home in the 1950's.There are two etchings? of horses
on raised or embossed material which looks like thin aluminum or
bronze material and attached to wood with many small rivets. I was
just curious if anyone was familiar with this technique? It appears
that it is all done by hand as opposed to a template of some type.

Are the figures raised or are they impressed upon a raised surface?

Your description could fit either type.

About that time there were people who'd carve a scene into wood and then
hammer sheet metal into the form using dulled chisels to produce the
desired level of definitions. Others would place a relatively thin sheet on
a bed of sand and "emboss" pictures from various sources by means of a
stylus.

The work can also be done with large dies and a stamping press.

There are many ways to accomplish either form and, for the most part, each
way can be automated if the demand is sufficient.