Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Drilling" plexiglas

We had a job recently to install plexiglas shields over a forged steel
gate/railing to keep people from reaching through the ballisters and
unlocking the gate. We'd have to drill many holes in 3'8" thick
plexiglas, on-site, to mount the several pieces that had been
professionally precut to various shapes. Not a good place to fail.
Having had some bad previous experiences cracking the plexiglas when
the drill breaks through, I convinced the boss to stop by a glass shop
on the way to the job and ask them how to prevent problems.

S000000000 simple! When I asked the guy, and used the word "drill", he
said no no no. Juat take the size drill you need, heat the SHANK end
with a propane torch and push that end through. As the drill melts
its way through, it leaves a little hump of melted and resolidified
material at the edge of the hole. Just take a razor blade and carve it off.

Pracitce one or two holes first, to get the feel of the drill bit
wanting to slide as it makes the puddle.

---Works GREAT!!! ---Every time!!!

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:

We had a job recently to install plexiglas shields over a forged steel
gate/railing to keep people from reaching through the ballisters and
unlocking the gate. We'd have to drill many holes in 3'8" thick
plexiglas, on-site, to mount the several pieces that had been
professionally precut to various shapes. Not a good place to fail.
Having had some bad previous experiences cracking the plexiglas when
the drill breaks through, I convinced the boss to stop by a glass shop
on the way to the job and ask them how to prevent problems.

I'd be using lexan in the first place.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

We had a job recently to install plexiglas shields over a forged steel
gate/railing to keep people from reaching through the ballisters and
unlocking the gate. We'd have to drill many holes in 3'8" thick
plexiglas, on-site, to mount the several pieces that had been
professionally precut to various shapes. Not a good place to fail.
Having had some bad previous experiences cracking the plexiglas when
the drill breaks through, I convinced the boss to stop by a glass shop
on the way to the job and ask them how to prevent problems.

I'd be using lexan in the first place.

Wes

Yep - since "discovering" lexan/polycarbonate I've not used acrylic for
much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IIRC, the local Plexiglas shop has some drill bits intended for
Plexiglas. They look like high speed steel bits, but they have a smaller
tip angle (sharper point).

Backing the piece with a block of wood is still a good idea.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-15 14:30:11 -0800, spaco said:

[...]

I don't know how this would work for holes as big as yours or in the
thickness of the material you're using. For holes in the 1/8" realm,
in material about 1/8" thick, just run the drill fast and backwards.
The friction creates heat and the drill pokes right through in the time
you'd expect it to take to cut through if you were using the drill
properly.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Skinner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 5:30*pm, spaco wrote:
[...]

A plexiglass drill works great too... especially after you get to
holes where the hole size is bigger than the plexiglass thickness.
What happens if the hole is bigger than the plexiglass thickness and
you try to melt your way through, is that you distort the plastic.

And a recommendation: polycarbonate is the most wonderful step up from
plexiglass for machineability. It never cracks like plexiglass wants
to.

All the news reports badmouth biphenols, but polycarbonate is an
amazingly versatile material. More expensive than plexiglass, but such
a joy to machine.

Tim.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The right way to do this, particularly if tolerances are high, is to
use a drill bit ground specifically for acrylic and other plastics.
It has a much steeper tip angle, usually 90 degrees, zero rake, and is
kept razor sharp. You can get them at a plastics supplier for a few
bucks, or make them yourself if you can grind drill bits.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , woodworker88 wrote:
The right way to do this, particularly if tolerances are high, is to
use a drill bit ground specifically for acrylic and other plastics.
It has a much steeper tip angle, usually 90 degrees, zero rake, and is
kept razor sharp. You can get them at a plastics supplier for a few
bucks, or make them yourself if you can grind drill bits.

I use "slow twist" drill bits. I have a whole index full. They aren't
quite 90 degrees, but they are close enough that I've never had a
problem with a variety of "grabby" plastics.

The key thing to watch out for is heat. You either want as little as
possible, or lots, enough to throughly melt the stuff. In between, and
the plsstic swells into the hole, grabbing the bit, frequently with nasty
(and sometimes dangerous) results.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Woodworker has the only answer. Grind the cutting edge to 90 degrees
and the drill scrapes out the material. Super easy.
I've even done it on large drills for drilling cast iron when the
drill tries to screw itself through the material.
You get the gold star.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

The key thing to watch out for is heat. You either want as little as
possible, or lots, enough to throughly melt the stuff.
Doug White

Use some soapy water as a cutting fluid/coolant. And, Agreed, use a
pointy drill bit. I also would stone the "corners" where the shank meets
the point rounding them a little....more of a reamer finish.
RR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 19, 9:29*pm, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:
Woodworker has the only answer. Grind the cutting edge to 90 degrees
and the drill scrapes out the material. Super easy.
I've even done it on large drills for drilling cast iron when the
drill tries to screw itself through the material.
You get the gold star.

That's what he means by the zero rake. What he means by the 90 tip
angle is the included angle of the tip, instead of the 118 or 135 of a
regular jobber bit...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's what he means by the zero rake. What he means by the 90 tip
angle is the included angle of the tip, instead of the 118 or 135 of a
regular jobber bit...

a 10 penny nail flatened on the end with a hammer and put a 90 degree
tip on it works fine, same as above, for plastic. Always drill an
oversize hole because the plastic will move around quite a bit with
tempature changes. The common thing to do is to drill a hole oversize
and put a piece of rubber hose on the screw that will go into the hole
and stick slightly outside of the plastic. The rubber is soft against
the plastic and also allows the plastic to move.

John