Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default "Drilling" plexiglas

Heat distorts the flatness of the plastic. A forstner drill bit works better
and a sacrificial piece of wood under the plastic is always cheap insurance.
What problem.
Steve

"spaco" wrote in message
We had a job recently to install plexiglas shields over a forged steel
gate/railing to keep people from reaching through the ballisters and
unlocking the gate. We'd have to drill many holes in 3'8" thick
plexiglas, on-site, to mount the several pieces that had been
professionally precut to various shapes. Not a good place to fail.
Having had some bad previous experiences cracking the plexiglas when the
drill breaks through, I convinced the boss to stop by a glass shop on the
way to the job and ask them how to prevent problems.

S000000000 simple! When I asked the guy, and used the word "drill", he
said no no no. Juat take the size drill you need, heat the SHANK end
with a propane torch and push that end through. As the drill melts its
way through, it leaves a little hump of melted and resolidified material
at the edge of the hole. Just take a razor blade and carve it off.

Pracitce one or two holes first, to get the feel of the drill bit wanting
to slide as it makes the puddle.

---Works GREAT!!! ---Every time!!!

Pete Stanaitis