Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default "Drilling" plexiglas

In article , woodworker88 wrote:
The right way to do this, particularly if tolerances are high, is to
use a drill bit ground specifically for acrylic and other plastics.
It has a much steeper tip angle, usually 90 degrees, zero rake, and is
kept razor sharp. You can get them at a plastics supplier for a few
bucks, or make them yourself if you can grind drill bits.

I use "slow twist" drill bits. I have a whole index full. They aren't
quite 90 degrees, but they are close enough that I've never had a
problem with a variety of "grabby" plastics.

The key thing to watch out for is heat. You either want as little as
possible, or lots, enough to throughly melt the stuff. In between, and
the plsstic swells into the hole, grabbing the bit, frequently with nasty
(and sometimes dangerous) results.

Doug White