Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

Default BS Universal

I just posted a picture to the dropbox, (http://www.metalworking.com/
dropbox/bs_universal.JPG)

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? And what size of machine this may be.

I will be going to look at it shortly, but looking for some informed
feedback before I do so.

Thanks

JW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jw wrote:

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? And what size of machine this may be.

Sure looks like an universal from the picture. Estimating size, bigger than a common
bridgeport. The work light's light bulb sorta makes me think the table is 15" wide or
wider. Go for it, it will fit in the garage if you want it to bad enough.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:42:46 -0800 (PST), jw
wrote:

I just posted a picture to the dropbox, (http://www.metalworking.com/
dropbox/bs_universal.JPG)

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? And what size of machine this may be.

I will be going to look at it shortly, but looking for some informed
feedback before I do so.

Thanks

JW

Looks like a universal #3 to me.....
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1163

"When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and
noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard
to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master
craftsman." - Jean de la Bruyere (1645-1696)

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net...shop/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-09, jw wrote:
I just posted a picture to the dropbox, (http://www.metalworking.com/
dropbox/bs_universal.JPG)

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? And what size of machine this may be.

It looks like a universal to me.

I don't know the sizes, but it does look like a hefty machine to
move. I suspect heavier than a Bridgeport Series I machine, maybe even
the CNC version with all the copper and iron in the transformers.

I will be going to look at it shortly, but looking for some informed
feedback before I do so.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

On Dec 9, 9:15*pm, wrote:
information on B&S

jw wrote:
I just posted a picture to the dropbox, (http://www.metalworking.com/
dropbox/bs_universal.JPG)

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? *And what size of machine this may be.

I will be going to look at it shortly, but looking for some informed
feedback before I do so.

Thanks

JW

Thanks. So from what I have learned so far it probably weighs around
4000#. But seems to be quite well respected in certain circles. It
supposedly has the vertical head as well. Find out in a few days.

Ballpark a market price? (I realize that is a pretty wide open
question, but humor me)

JW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jw wrote:
I just posted a picture to the dropbox, (http://www.metalworking.com/
dropbox/bs_universal.JPG)

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? And what size of machine this may be.

I will be going to look at it shortly, but looking for some informed
feedback before I do so.

Thanks

JW

Looks like a #2 universal w/40 taper. These are quiet, solid, strong and
the table clamps very well. I can't remember if they had anti-backlash
for climb milling.

I don't see the overarm support or any arbors.

The only issue with these is if you breathe on the starter handle (top)
some of them will engage (surprise), real hare trigger.

Matt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jw wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:15�pm, wrote:

Ballpark a market price? (I realize that is a pretty wide open
question, but humor me)

JW

I would say around $500. Unless it has most of the accessories, over
$1000 would be high. I paid $200 for mine, but that was a special
deal in 2003. Once you buy the mill, you have to move it. I took mine
apart, and rented a "Drop Lift" trailer to move it, and to get it into
my basement shop.

By watching eBay, I have almost acquired all the accessories since
then.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

On Dec 10, 9:24*am, wrote:
jw wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:15 pm, wrote:

Ballpark a market price? *(I realize that is a pretty wide open
question, but humor me)

JW

I would say around $500. Unless it has most of the accessories, over
$1000 would be high. *I paid $200 for mine, but that was a special
deal in 2003. *Once you buy the mill, you have to move it. I took mine
apart, and rented a "Drop Lift" trailer to move it, and to get it into
my basement shop.

By watching eBay, I have almost acquired all the accessories since
then.

Moving it is not an issue.

I am not sure what it has for accessories yet. It does have the
vertical head, or so they say.

Thanks

JW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 18:15:27 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

That mill is a B&S #2 Light 3HP Circa 1948 - 1956. Go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BrownandSharpe/ and sign in for
information on B&S

If its a #2...should be useful in the home shop.
And movable

Gunner

jw wrote:
I just posted a picture to the dropbox, (http://www.metalworking.com/
dropbox/bs_universal.JPG)

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? And what size of machine this may be.

I will be going to look at it shortly, but looking for some informed
feedback before I do so.

Thanks

JW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 19:42:40 -0800 (PST), jw
wrote:

On Dec 9, 9:15*pm, wrote:
information on B&S

jw wrote:
I just posted a picture to the dropbox, (http://www.metalworking.com/
dropbox/bs_universal.JPG)

I'm wondering if someone out there can confirm that it is a universal
table? *And what size of machine this may be.

I will be going to look at it shortly, but looking for some informed
feedback before I do so.

Thanks

JW

Thanks. So from what I have learned so far it probably weighs around
4000#. But seems to be quite well respected in certain circles. It
supposedly has the vertical head as well. Find out in a few days.

Ballpark a market price? (I realize that is a pretty wide open
question, but humor me)

JW

$500-1500 depending on tooling/condition.