NSM

Default Interesting Universal Bridge

Just picked up an interesting universal bridge "RLC 10" on eBay. I cannot
find a maker's name anywhere on this. It is similar to an H&B Inkavi and
Pontavi combined, but uses transistors to generate the AC test signal and
drive a center zero meter. There is no manual with it, just basic
instructions on the back in Czechoslovakian, Russian and German. It uses an
unusual 3 Volt battery, about 75 mm long and 20 mm diameter or square. It
has an AC and a DC test button and a dissipation null control for inductance
measurement.

Ranges:
10 mH, 100 mH, 1 H
0.1 Ohm, 1 Ohm, 10 Ohm, 100 Ohm, 1 KOhm, 10 KOhm (DC)
10 Ohm, 100 Ohm, 1 KOhm, 10 KOhm, 100 KOhm (AC)
100 pF, 1 nF, 10 nF, 100 nF, 1 uF

It has a scale from 0.5 to 20 and it can also do comparisons between
components and show the deviation from the external standard.

One thing I cannot figure out is how to use the dissipation control since
the center zero meter is phase sensitive - goes left to right and you can
null the meter at various combinations. Suggestions? Adjust for the lowest
or the highest inductance?

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:19:13 GMT, "NSM" put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Just picked up an interesting universal bridge "RLC 10" on eBay. I cannot
find a maker's name anywhere on this. It is similar to an H&B Inkavi and
Pontavi combined, but uses transistors to generate the AC test signal and
drive a center zero meter. There is no manual with it, just basic
instructions on the back in Czechoslovakian, Russian and German.

If you can't understand the instructions, try posting a photo of them
on your webspace.

- Franc Zabkar
NSM

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:19:13 GMT, "NSM" put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Just picked up an interesting universal bridge "RLC 10" on eBay. I cannot
find a maker's name anywhere on this. It is similar to an H&B Inkavi and
Pontavi combined, but uses transistors to generate the AC test signal and
drive a center zero meter. There is no manual with it, just basic
instructions on the back in Czechoslovakian, Russian and German.

If you can't understand the instructions, try posting a photo of them
on your webspace.

I Babelfished them - got the sense of them OK, but they're too brief to
cover the full use of this device.

NSM

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:19:13 GMT, "NSM" put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Just picked up an interesting universal bridge "RLC 10" on eBay. I cannot
find a maker's name anywhere on this. It is similar to an H&B Inkavi and
Pontavi combined, but uses transistors to generate the AC test signal and
drive a center zero meter. There is no manual with it, just basic
instructions on the back in Czechoslovakian, Russian and German.

If you can't understand the instructions, try posting a photo of them
on your webspace.

In German:

BATTERIE 3V
BEREICH
MESSUNG
EINGANGS KAPAZITÄT 6 pF SUBTRAHIEREN
MIT WECHSELSTROM DIE INDUKTIVITÄT
MIT GLEICHSTROM DIE OHMKOMPONENTE
ARBEITEN SIE NACH DER BEILIEGENDEN GEBRAUCHSANWEISUNG
ABGLEICH DER OHMKOMPONENTE

In English(-like):

BATTERY 3V.
RANGE.
MEASUREMENT.
INITIALLY CAPACITY 6 pF SUBTRACTING.
WITH ALTERNATING CURRENT INDUCTANCE.
WITH DIRECT CURRENT THE OHM COMPONENT.
WORK AFTER THE ENCLOSED OPERATING INSTRUCTION.
ALIGNMENT OF THE OHM COMPONENT.

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 11 May 2005 22:29:43 GMT, "NSM" put finger to
keyboard and composed:

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I see what you mean.

Why not experiment with a known inductance and a series resistor, say
0.1 ohm or several of them in parallel? Try different combinations and
observe the behaviour of your meter.

- Franc Zabkar

NSM

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message

I see what you mean.

Why not experiment with a known inductance and a series resistor, say
0.1 ohm or several of them in parallel? Try different combinations and
observe the behaviour of your meter.

I may try that. I have a good digital LCR meter, it's just that I craved a
toy like this many years ago and $3 was too good a deal to turn down.

NSM

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message

I see what you mean.

Why not experiment with a known inductance and a series resistor, say
0.1 ohm or several of them in parallel? Try different combinations and
observe the behaviour of your meter.

Puzzling over the instructions I finally tried zeroing the dissipation
control with the DC button and measuring the inductance with the AC button.
That actually seems to work, although the inductance is about 20% off from
my digital meter. However this is an iron cored transformer and perhaps it
is a frequency issue.