Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cool little staple gun project

I need an air staple gun to shoot an 18ga., 1/4" crown, by 1/2" length.
But, the driver has to protrude 1/2" past the end of the nose. Of course,
there's nothing like that available, nor is there a long nose gun that I
could just shorten the nose by 1/2" available. I need at least 1-3/8"
finished nose length to get clearance.

We need to repair single bad tufts in flat wire brushes. When the machine,
operator, wire or other thing screws up and makes a bad tuft, we repair the
tuft rather than scrap the brush. Years ago, I modified a BeA staple gun
very easily by shortening the piston, and lengthening the nose and the
driver. The BeA is now obsolete (of course!) and trigger parts and
bi-material pistons are nowhere to be found ANYWHERE! My staple gun guy
sells me $1k/week of ballistic screws and is motivated, knowledgeable and I
trust his scrounging ability. The BeA was his idea years ago and he gave me
the gun and all the parts over the years. I trust him enough to not even
bother looking for parts myself. The new BeA that replaces mine uses a disk
piston, the cylinder is part of the casting and is a very bad choice to
modify.

So, his latest idea is use a Senco gun and make a longer cylinder, a spacer
between the body casting and the rear cap to accommodate the longer
cylinder, a longer driver and longer nose pieces. With this strategy, we
can make any length nose and any length over-stroke. And, Senco should be
supplying parts for many years.

An ideal project that won't take too long, demand some precision, won't cost
very much and have immediate pay-back. I've got about 25 barrels of repairs
to do. And, since I'm making ONE, I'm going to make TWO or THREE for very
little more time and money!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
[...]

Why not an electric unit? Simple single trip solenoid and make whatever
you want for a nose assembly. The electric unit I have will shoot a 1.5
inch staple into oak with no problem.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've got two power staplers for my business. My air stapler shoots a 1/4" x
3/4 18 gauge staple into wood boxes. Sounds just like yours before mods. You
pull the trigger and that thing goes. No safeties on this old init.

The other is an electric box stapler out of a large factory. Its got a four
foot high post with a shoe. Slide the formed box over it and step on the
foot actuator. You start getting two staples per second.

I've got three machines on the place that no one else operates. These are
two of them.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:44:38 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

I need an air staple gun to shoot an 18ga., 1/4" crown, by 1/2" length.
But, the driver has to protrude 1/2" past the end of the nose. Of course,
there's nothing like that available, nor is there a long nose gun that I
could just shorten the nose by 1/2" available. I need at least 1-3/8"
finished nose length to get clearance.

Darn, that precludes using a $15, off-the-shelf, Chiwanese job from
HF, doesn't it? titter

We need to repair single bad tufts in flat wire brushes. When the machine,
operator, wire or other thing screws up and makes a bad tuft, we repair the
tuft rather than scrap the brush. Years ago, I modified a BeA staple gun
very easily by shortening the piston, and lengthening the nose and the
driver. The BeA is now obsolete (of course!) and trigger parts and
bi-material pistons are nowhere to be found ANYWHERE! My staple gun guy

Suckage.

sells me $1k/week of ballistic screws and is motivated, knowledgeable and I

Holy ****, Batman! $1k/wk? thud

trust his scrounging ability. The BeA was his idea years ago and he gave me
the gun and all the parts over the years. I trust him enough to not even
bother looking for parts myself. The new BeA that replaces mine uses a disk
piston, the cylinder is part of the casting and is a very bad choice to
modify.

Si!

So, his latest idea is use a Senco gun and make a longer cylinder, a spacer
between the body casting and the rear cap to accommodate the longer
cylinder, a longer driver and longer nose pieces. With this strategy, we
can make any length nose and any length over-stroke. And, Senco should be
supplying parts for many years.

True.

An ideal project that won't take too long, demand some precision, won't cost
very much and have immediate pay-back.

All good!

I've got about 25 barrels of repairs
to do. And, since I'm making ONE, I'm going to make TWO or THREE for very
little more time and money!

That's an -excellent- idea, you frisky little rascalette. Carry on.

GIFs at 11, we presume?

--
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-- Jules Renard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip
sells me $1k/week of ballistic screws and is motivated, knowledgeable and

Holy ****, Batman! $1k/wk? thud

We built a machine that uses two big air nailers to automatically shoot two
ballistic screws (shoot them in, unscrew them out - WAY cool) into "D"
shaped handles on grill brushes. The fasteners are expensive but cheaper
than labor to use conventional screws. I'll have to post pix of the
machine, it took a year for Roger to design and build. My staple-gun guy
loves me for fastener sales!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:13:51 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip
sells me $1k/week of ballistic screws and is motivated, knowledgeable and

Holy ****, Batman! $1k/wk? thud

We built a machine that uses two big air nailers to automatically shoot two
ballistic screws (shoot them in, unscrew them out - WAY cool) into "D"
shaped handles on grill brushes. The fasteners are expensive but cheaper
than labor to use conventional screws. I'll have to post pix of the
machine, it took a year for Roger to design and build. My staple-gun guy
loves me for fastener sales!

I checked the price of some on Amazone. $204 for 4k of them.

That's 10,000 brushes you make each month? Crikey! Your company is
larger than I thought, maam. tips hat

--
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-- Jules Renard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:13:51 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
snip
[...]

This machine makes 600/day if all goes well but we see 25% down time due to
all the usual reasons. The new machine should see 10% down time and run
10% faster. We plan on retrofitting the other two machines with the

improvements assuming the trials prove my numbers.

Here's the one with the ballistic screws in the handle
http://catalog.carlislesmp.com/foods...1/4067600.html

Here's the small one, we make close to 1,000/day of these. About half go to
Double Broiler King pictured below. The other half go other customers.
But, we get 5%-8% repairs...thus the staple gun.
http://catalog.carlislesmp.com/unlisted/4029400.html

Flat wire brushes account for 75% of my sales. I'm by far the largest flat
wire producer in the world but it's not that big of a market to attract the
Chinese and they'd have to reinvent the wheel, I already know flat wire and
the new machine will be my 5th generation, not counting computer simulations
that didn't work out. The first generation was lucky to get 300 parts/day
with 3 people doing the work, one drilling holes, one filling holes with
wire and one nailing the wire into the holes from the side. And to think I
wanted to abandon these products because they are such a PITA but one of my
customers at the time talked me out of it and inspired me to come up with
better technology. Good thing, or I would have folded up long ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:44:28 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

[...]

Yeah, I remember you gushing on about your improvements, as well you
should.

Here's the one with the ballistic screws in the handle
http://catalog.carlislesmp.com/foods...1/4067600.html

Here's the small one, we make close to 1,000/day of these. About half go to
Double Broiler King pictured below. The other half go other customers.
But, we get 5%-8% repairs...thus the staple gun.

That's a -lot- of brushes, sir. What have you done to reduce the
repair rate, or is that the cost of a quick production line and you're
OK with it? (but want the broken parts fixed and sold vs. scrapped)

http://catalog.carlislesmp.com/unlisted/4029400.html

Flat wire brushes account for 75% of my sales. I'm by far the largest flat
wire producer in the world but it's not that big of a market to attract the
Chinese

You're damned lucky there, Tawm. Keep up with the luck and skill
parts, eh? We're proud of you!

and they'd have to reinvent the wheel, I already know flat wire and
the new machine will be my 5th generation, not counting computer simulations
that didn't work out. The first generation was lucky to get 300 parts/day
with 3 people doing the work, one drilling holes, one filling holes with
wire and one nailing the wire into the holes from the side. And to think I
wanted to abandon these products because they are such a PITA but one of my
customers at the time talked me out of it and inspired me to come up with
better technology. Good thing, or I would have folded up long ago.

It's funny how "coincidence" works, isn't it? Hang in there.

--
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-- Jules Renard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip
That's a -lot- of brushes, sir. What have you done to reduce the
repair rate, or is that the cost of a quick production line and you're
OK with it? (but want the broken parts fixed and sold vs. scrapped)

To reduce repairs and scrap we have started designing a more comprehensive
training program to minimize the operator error part. We redesigned the
wire despoolers that accounted for a large percentage of problems. The
other big culprits are the wire feed mechanism and wire cutter. I figure
that for every percent of repairs reduced is the equivalent of increasing
speed three percent or more. Every percent of scrap reduced is even more.
I think we've fried all the big fish on the new machine and can't see any
major redesigns or improvements. The next big project is new technology for
making wire wheel brushes...then I'm gone retire!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:35:22 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip
That's a -lot- of brushes, sir. What have you done to reduce the
repair rate, or is that the cost of a quick production line and you're
OK with it? (but want the broken parts fixed and sold vs. scrapped)

To reduce repairs and scrap we have started designing a more comprehensive
training program to minimize the operator error part. We redesigned the
wire despoolers that accounted for a large percentage of problems.

Bueno, bwana.

The
other big culprits are the wire feed mechanism and wire cutter. I figure
that for every percent of repairs reduced is the equivalent of increasing
speed three percent or more. Every percent of scrap reduced is even more.

Also good.

I think we've fried all the big fish on the new machine and can't see any
major redesigns or improvements. The next big project is new technology for
making wire wheel brushes...then I'm gone retire!

Yeah, retire and rake in all that cashish! wink

Wait a minute. What does an unemployed/retired lesbian machinist _do_
all day? No, never mind. Don't tell me. I really don't want to know.

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Here, smell my finger!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:35:22 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

major redesigns or improvements. The next big project is new technology for
making wire wheel brushes...then I'm gone retire!

Oh NO. Do you still have the r.c.m discount? If you do, I better
order before you get too close to retirement. I want to see what
brushes (wire wheels) that work are like.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:45:40 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

[...]

Which one? You didn't pick her up like a bowling ball, did you?
knowing wink

---

cool project EWCM Woodworking 7 January 26th 08 12:36 PM
Spare time for RECers - cool project surftom Metalworking 0 April 6th 05 02:18 PM
Cool project Dan Metalworking 0 January 12th 05 01:24 AM
really cool project .. Roy Metalworking 5 August 26th 03 05:52 PM