Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Cool little staple gun project

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:44:28 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:13:51 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip
sells me $1k/week of ballistic screws and is motivated, knowledgeable
and

Holy ****, Batman! $1k/wk? thud

We built a machine that uses two big air nailers to automatically shoot
two
ballistic screws (shoot them in, unscrew them out - WAY cool) into "D"
shaped handles on grill brushes. The fasteners are expensive but cheaper
than labor to use conventional screws. I'll have to post pix of the
machine, it took a year for Roger to design and build. My staple-gun guy
loves me for fastener sales!

I checked the price of some on Amazone. $204 for 4k of them.

That's 10,000 brushes you make each month? Crikey! Your company is
larger than I thought, maam. tips hat

--
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-- Jules Renard

This machine makes 600/day if all goes well but we see 25% down time due to
all the usual reasons. The new machine should see 10% down time and run
10% faster. We plan on retrofitting the other two machines with the

improvements assuming the trials prove my numbers.

Yeah, I remember you gushing on about your improvements, as well you
should.

Here's the one with the ballistic screws in the handle
http://catalog.carlislesmp.com/foods...1/4067600.html

Here's the small one, we make close to 1,000/day of these. About half go to
Double Broiler King pictured below. The other half go other customers.
But, we get 5%-8% repairs...thus the staple gun.

That's a -lot- of brushes, sir. What have you done to reduce the
repair rate, or is that the cost of a quick production line and you're
OK with it? (but want the broken parts fixed and sold vs. scrapped)

http://catalog.carlislesmp.com/unlisted/4029400.html

Flat wire brushes account for 75% of my sales. I'm by far the largest flat
wire producer in the world but it's not that big of a market to attract the
Chinese

You're damned lucky there, Tawm. Keep up with the luck and skill
parts, eh? We're proud of you!

and they'd have to reinvent the wheel, I already know flat wire and
the new machine will be my 5th generation, not counting computer simulations
that didn't work out. The first generation was lucky to get 300 parts/day
with 3 people doing the work, one drilling holes, one filling holes with
wire and one nailing the wire into the holes from the side. And to think I
wanted to abandon these products because they are such a PITA but one of my
customers at the time talked me out of it and inspired me to come up with
better technology. Good thing, or I would have folded up long ago.

It's funny how "coincidence" works, isn't it? Hang in there.