Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Cool little staple gun project

I need an air staple gun to shoot an 18ga., 1/4" crown, by 1/2" length.
But, the driver has to protrude 1/2" past the end of the nose. Of course,
there's nothing like that available, nor is there a long nose gun that I
could just shorten the nose by 1/2" available. I need at least 1-3/8"
finished nose length to get clearance.

We need to repair single bad tufts in flat wire brushes. When the machine,
operator, wire or other thing screws up and makes a bad tuft, we repair the
tuft rather than scrap the brush. Years ago, I modified a BeA staple gun
very easily by shortening the piston, and lengthening the nose and the
driver. The BeA is now obsolete (of course!) and trigger parts and
bi-material pistons are nowhere to be found ANYWHERE! My staple gun guy
sells me $1k/week of ballistic screws and is motivated, knowledgeable and I
trust his scrounging ability. The BeA was his idea years ago and he gave me
the gun and all the parts over the years. I trust him enough to not even
bother looking for parts myself. The new BeA that replaces mine uses a disk
piston, the cylinder is part of the casting and is a very bad choice to
modify.

So, his latest idea is use a Senco gun and make a longer cylinder, a spacer
between the body casting and the rear cap to accommodate the longer
cylinder, a longer driver and longer nose pieces. With this strategy, we
can make any length nose and any length over-stroke. And, Senco should be
supplying parts for many years.

An ideal project that won't take too long, demand some precision, won't cost
very much and have immediate pay-back. I've got about 25 barrels of repairs
to do. And, since I'm making ONE, I'm going to make TWO or THREE for very
little more time and money!