Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default motor bearings

The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling
squeal about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line
down,and restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the
rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it
easily repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely the
armature rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the magic
smoke out yet.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling squeal
about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line down,and
restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it easily
repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely the armature
rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the magic smoke out
yet.

If you can get the bearings out, a bearing shop should be able to sell you
replacements. Call them with the number from the bearing to be sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Replacing bearings in motors is v ery easy if you have a"bearing
puller".

On 2008-11-02, Bob F wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling squeal
about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line down,and
restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it easily
repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely the armature
rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the magic smoke out
yet.

If you can get the bearings out, a bearing shop should be able to sell you
replacements. Call them with the number from the bearing to be sure.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it
easily repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely the
armature rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the magic
smoke out yet.

Tear it apart and take a look inside. Replacing the bearings is easy stuff.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling
squeal about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line
down,and restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the
rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it
easily repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely the
armature rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the magic
smoke out yet.

Karl

If the motor is rated to stand on end, the bearings should be angular
contact bearings. I recommend replacing them with angular contact
bearings even though the original ones are not. Angular contact
bearings will take the side load of the armature standing on end much
better than plain bearings.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If the motor is rated to stand on end, the bearings should be angular
contact bearings. I recommend replacing them with angular contact bearings
even though the original ones are not. Angular contact bearings will take
the side load of the armature standing on end much better than plain
bearings.

Thanks, I just learned something. Don't happen too often.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 2, 6:58*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling
squeal about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line
down,and restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the
rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it
easily repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely the
armature rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the magic
smoke out yet.

Karl

If it's the armature rubbing, the question is why it's going away. I'd
be inclined to bet on a bearing spinning on the armature or in one of
the bells. Have a bottle of the bearing retaining grade of Loctite
handy when you tear it apart. If something was spinning, new bearings
will be a temporary fix only - the bearing races are harder than the
shaft or bells, and it's the shaft or end bells that have worn.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

There isn't any provision for loading the bearings. Are you advising using an angular
contact to take thrust and a deep groove for the other end?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 13:02:20 -0800 (PST), John Martin
wrote:

On Nov 2, 6:58*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
[...]

Had some 4" bore ball bearings at work that showed they aren't so hard once
some dipstick has over-packed them with grease. They get quite soft when they
get hot enough :-(

Mark Rand
RTFN
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling
squeal about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line
down,and restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the
rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it
easily repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely
the armature rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the
magic smoke out yet.

Karl

Having read the many responses, I suggest a teardown and inspection. My
hunch says the bearings are simply dry----and squealing as a result. New
bearings are not expensive, and there's almost nothing to go wrong with
three phase motors, considering they have no starter switches or capacitors
to mess with. You might have that motor back to good as new condition for
under $10.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My experience parallels Harold's advice. I had an intermittent, erratic squeal in a vertically
mounted 220 V fan motor. The top bearing was squealing, intermittently, probably having been worn
slightly out-of-round by uneven thrust produced by the fan blades. A shot of oil on the bearing
cured the problem. Eventually, the motor was replaced at my convenience. FWIW, this problem is not
likely to occur with ball bearings. Balls usually shake, rattle, and rumble long before emitting
any audible noise.

Bob Swinney
news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
john wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

IT depends on the amount of axial load that is transfered to the shaft.
A 6xxx aeries deep row ball would be better than a plain bearing if the
axial load is not too great, but as you said, to use a angular contact
bearing, 7xxx , the bearing should be preloaded or use a plain or deep
groove bearing on the top end.

John