Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default motor bearings

On Nov 2, 6:58*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling
squeal about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line
down,and restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the
rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it
easily repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely the
armature rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the magic
smoke out yet.

Karl

If it's the armature rubbing, the question is why it's going away. I'd
be inclined to bet on a bearing spinning on the armature or in one of
the bells. Have a bottle of the bearing retaining grade of Loctite
handy when you tear it apart. If something was spinning, new bearings
will be a temporary fix only - the bearing races are harder than the
shaft or bells, and it's the shaft or end bells that have worn.

John Martin