Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default motor bearings

My experience parallels Harold's advice. I had an intermittent, erratic squeal in a vertically
mounted 220 V fan motor. The top bearing was squealing, intermittently, probably having been worn
slightly out-of-round by uneven thrust produced by the fan blades. A shot of oil on the bearing
cured the problem. Eventually, the motor was replaced at my convenience. FWIW, this problem is not
likely to occur with ball bearings. Balls usually shake, rattle, and rumble long before emitting
any audible noise.

Bob Swinney
news
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling
squeal about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line
down,and restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the
rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it
easily repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely
the armature rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the
magic smoke out yet.

Karl

Having read the many responses, I suggest a teardown and inspection. My
hunch says the bearings are simply dry----and squealing as a result. New
bearings are not expensive, and there's almost nothing to go wrong with
three phase motors, considering they have no starter switches or capacitors
to mess with. You might have that motor back to good as new condition for
under $10.

Harold