Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default motor bearings

john wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
The 1 horse three phase motor on my bin dump water pump emits a howling
squeal about one in five starts. Let it squeal a while, shut the line
down,and restart. All better now. At least that's been the fix during the
rush.

One week left till winter shutdown. Do I just trash the motor, or is it
easily repairable? FWIW, the motor stands on end, So the noise is likely the
armature rubbing on the motor housing. I'm surprised I haven't let the magic
smoke out yet.

Karl

If the motor is rated to stand on end, the bearings should be angular
contact bearings. I recommend replacing them with angular contact
bearings even though the original ones are not. Angular contact
bearings will take the side load of the armature standing on end much
better than plain bearings.

John

There isn't any provision for loading the bearings. Are you advising using an angular
contact to take thrust and a deep groove for the other end?

Wes