Christopher Tidy

Default Oil for plain motor bearings?

Hi,

Just a quick question. What oil would you use in a small motor with
plain bearings? Usually I put SAE 90 oil in larger motors with plain
bearings, and it seems to work fine, but I'm not sure what's best for a
little motor. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Chris

Gunner

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:59:37 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick question. What oil would you use in a small motor with
plain bearings? Usually I put SAE 90 oil in larger motors with plain
bearings, and it seems to work fine, but I'm not sure what's best for a
little motor. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Chris

I use ATF most of the time. Or a NonDetergent 30 weight

Whichever is cheapest at the autoparts store at the time.
Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

I use ATF most of the time. Or a NonDetergent 30 weight

I've been using ATF most times. On occasion (where it does
not seem to last nearly long enough) I will put in
synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1.

Jim

please reply to:
Larry Jaques

On 22 May 2005 18:26:37 -0700, the inscrutable jim rozen
spake:

In article , Gunner says...

I use ATF most of the time. Or a NonDetergent 30 weight

I've been using ATF most times. On occasion (where it does
not seem to last nearly long enough) I will put in
synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1.

How do you tell it doesn't last long enough? When it's knockin' around
and needs a complete rebuild, or when you just start noticing extra
noise?

-
The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com
so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
Brian Lawson

Hey Chris,

That's what 3-in-1 oil was made for. Either that, or Singer Sewing
Machine Oil. And years ago there was the very similar Electric Motor
Oil, but that's gone now. There are undoubtedly better and cheaper
things available, but at least you know what's in those cans two
months after you got them!!

Take care.

Brian "Owner of hundreds of oil cans filled with Mystery" Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXX
wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick question. What oil would you use in a small motor with
plain bearings? Usually I put SAE 90 oil in larger motors with plain
bearings, and it seems to work fine, but I'm not sure what's best for a
little motor. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Chris

jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

I've been using ATF most times. On occasion (where it does
not seem to last nearly long enough) I will put in
synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1.

How do you tell it doesn't last long enough? When it's knockin' around
and needs a complete rebuild, or when you just start noticing extra
noise?

The bearings will seem to dry up and require oiling more often than
I'd like. I've noticed this in the dehumidifier fan, and also the
ceiling fan in the bathroom. I was hitting those twice a year,
but since I started using the mobil one, it's gone to every other
year or so.

Jim

please reply to:

3 in 1 makes an oil in a blue can labeled for fractional HP motors.
Overlubrication will kill a motor in a hurry by holding all the dirt.
Sometimes you can turn a motor with plain bearings 90 or 180 degrees in
a belt driven setup and use the part of the bearing that has not yet
worn egg shaped.
One can is only a few Oz, 3 If I recall but consider 1 teaspoon=100
drops.

My big peave is the small tefc motors that are welded shut.

Christopher Tidy

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Chris,

That's what 3-in-1 oil was made for. Either that, or Singer Sewing
Machine Oil. And years ago there was the very similar Electric Motor
Oil, but that's gone now. There are undoubtedly better and cheaper
things available, but at least you know what's in those cans two
months after you got them!!

Take care.

Brian "Owner of hundreds of oil cans filled with Mystery" Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, 3 in 1 oil is what I've been
putting in the smaller motors so far, but I just wanted to hear other
people's thoughts. I've got a few nice little motors which aren't welded
shut (they're virtually miniatures of larger machines, apart from the
shaded poles) and I want to take care of them. One will be installed in
my rock tumbler soon. Any idea how often I should lubricate the motor if
it's running all the time?

Best wishes,

Chris

jim rozen

In article , Christopher Tidy says...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, 3 in 1 oil is what I've been
putting in the smaller motors so far, but I just wanted to hear other
people's thoughts.

3-in-1 tends to gum up pretty badly after a while IMO.

Jim

please reply to:
wws

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Brian Lawson wrote:

[...]

AC service guys use this a lot:
http://www.bluelakeproducts.com/zoomspout_oiler.htm
I would oil evry 2 or 3 days.

wws wrote:

AC service guys use this a lot:
http://www.bluelakeproducts.com/zoomspout_oiler.htm
I would oil evry 2 or 3 days.

Yup, turbine oil is the stuff. The local True Value carries the
Zoomspout brand, it's over in the swamp cooler supplies. Works well
for any fan or blower with sleeve bearings. It's just a thin oil with
no additives. Doesn't gum, either.

I've never had good luck with 3-in-1, it always gums up eventually.

Stan

What oil would you use in a small motor with
plain bearings?

Turbine oil.

I use SAE 10 (ISO 46) machine oil for small electric motor bearings.
This comes dear in the stores. I suggest trying McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

select page 1991, and scroll down to Machine and Turbine Oil, and
choose ISO grade 46.

BTW, we had a "broken" fan motor in the shop a couple weeks back. Made
LOTS of noise and seemed out of balance or something. I blew it off
with the air hose, and, surprize!, found felts for oil above each
bearing. Saturatated those with oil and lo and behold the noise went
away. Almost completely. Pays not to neglect these things.

The 3 in 1 motor oil in a blue is different from the 3 in 1 in the red
can, doesn't seem to go gummy.
Still all in all I like Hoppes #9 as my after shave