Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RWL RWL is offline

Default Miller Syncrowave 180 SD

I spotted this on Craigslist within driving distance from me. Comes with
the torch, pedal, self dimming mask, etc, but no gas cylinder. Listed at
$1500 which probably isn't a real bargain.

In doing a little scanning on the net I've seen some comments that this
machine is no longer produced, so parts may be a problem.

I rarely weld anything over 3/16", so this probably would fit my needs. I'd
probably hang onto my AC/DC thunderbolt for awhile in case I needed to weld
heavier material. At some point I'd likely want to weld thin aluminum, such
as in a canoe repair (don't own one but that's the sort of thing I could see
doing)

Decent machine or are there known limitations?
Price reasonable or high for a used welder without the tank?
(higher than I'd like to pay, but used relatively recent TIGs don't seem to
come up all that often)
Will parts / repairs become a problem?
Any idea of when these machines were manufactured? What were they replaced
by?
I'm on the road, so can't check cost of cylinders. What does it typically
cost to buy the gas cylinder? Refill like Oxy Acetylene - just tank
exchange, or do they refill your small cylinder?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-31, RWL wrote:
I spotted this on Craigslist within driving distance from me. Comes with
the torch, pedal, self dimming mask, etc, but no gas cylinder. Listed at
$1500 which probably isn't a real bargain.

Definitely not.

If you are within driving distance from me, I can sell you a Miller
Aircrafter 330ST for the same price if you pay in cash. Note that I
have not yet brought it home from auction, and did not yet test it, so
this is a provisional offer.

In doing a little scanning on the net I've seen some comments that this
machine is no longer produced, so parts may be a problem.

I rarely weld anything over 3/16", so this probably would fit my needs. I'd
probably hang onto my AC/DC thunderbolt for awhile in case I needed to weld
heavier material. At some point I'd likely want to weld thin aluminum, such
as in a canoe repair (don't own one but that's the sort of thing I could see
doing)

Decent machine or are there known limitations?

Decent machine, but not too powerful.

Price reasonable or high for a used welder without the tank?
(higher than I'd like to pay, but used relatively recent TIGs don't seem to
come up all that often)
Will parts / repairs become a problem?
Any idea of when these machines were manufactured? What were they replaced
by?
I'm on the road, so can't check cost of cylinders. What does it typically
cost to buy the gas cylinder? Refill like Oxy Acetylene - just tank
exchange, or do they refill your small cylinder?

You can buy a small tank or rent a bigger one, as I do. You need to
put a rental deposit, around $200 or so.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27079 wrote:

On 2008-10-31, RWL wrote:
[...]

Parts should not be an issue on a Syncrowave 180 SD for at least a
decade or two. Miller parts support is very good and a 180 SD is a
relatively recent machine.

For HSM type work, an 80cf cylinder is fine and should cost you less
than $200 to buy with the argon inside.

You also need an argon regulator and flowmeter, which will add another
$100+ if it's not included.

If it's a water cooled torch you need a cooler as well.

The price is certainly no bargain, perhaps offer half of that price.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-31, Pete C. wrote:
Parts should not be an issue on a Syncrowave 180 SD for at least a
decade or two. Miller parts support is very good and a 180 SD is a
relatively recent machine.

These machines are also good about not breaking too much.

For HSM type work, an 80cf cylinder is fine and should cost you less
than $200 to buy with the argon inside.

You also need an argon regulator and flowmeter, which will add another
$100+ if it's not included.

If it's a water cooled torch you need a cooler as well.

The price is certainly no bargain, perhaps offer half of that price.

Rule of thumb is that 97% of Craigslist listings are overpriced. eBay
is also going int his direction, due to them lowering listing fees and
raising fees for items sold.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RWL RWL is offline

From: "Ignoramus27079"
If you are within driving distance from me, I can sell you a Miller
Aircrafter 330ST for the same price if you pay in cash.

Chicago area would be a looooong drive from central PA ;-)
In my youth a road trip, but now.........

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I paid about $1650 for a new 180SD about 4 years ago. We rent our tanks,
that was not included but included the torch, regulator, stinger, cart,
etc. My price was a couple hundred $$ less than normal discounted price
due to a special discount.

This is about the biggest transformer based machine that will run on a
50-60amp 240 single phase circuit.

We don't use it too much, small race frames, a little aluminum, a little
stainless. Been quite happy so far.

RWL wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From: "Ignoramus27079"
If you are within driving distance from me, I can sell you a Miller
Aircrafter 330ST for the same price if you pay in cash.

Chicago area would be a looooong drive from central PA ;-)
In my youth a road trip, but now.........

RWL

Please, that's nothing. I've done TX-CT-TX (~3,400mi RT) a couple times
so far and will do again in the near future.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 31, 6:33*am, "RWL" wrote:
[...]

Grossly overpriced.

Miller has a monopoly on repairs...and they know it...and they charge
accordingly.

Expect to pay well over half the cost of a new machine if you need
repairs.

I also know for a fact that they have discontinued options for this
machine while still advertising them as available.

Miller is not a trustworthy company...remember that you have been
warned.

TMT