Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Miller Syncrowave 180 SD

On Oct 31, 6:33*am, "RWL" wrote:
I spotted this on Craigslist within driving distance from me. *Comes with
the torch, pedal, self dimming mask, etc, but no gas cylinder. *Listed at
$1500 which probably isn't a real bargain.

In doing a little scanning on the net I've seen some comments that this
machine is no longer produced, so parts may be a problem.

I rarely weld anything over 3/16", so this probably would fit my needs. *I'd
probably hang onto my AC/DC thunderbolt for awhile in case I needed to weld
heavier material. *At some point I'd likely want to weld thin aluminum, such
as in a canoe repair (don't own one but that's the sort of thing I could see
doing)

Decent machine or are there known limitations?
Price reasonable or high for a used welder *without the tank?
(higher than I'd like to pay, but used relatively recent TIGs don't seem to
come up all that often)
Will parts / repairs become a problem?
Any idea of when these machines were manufactured? *What were they replaced
by?
I'm on the road, so can't check cost of cylinders. *What does it typically
cost to buy the gas cylinder? *Refill like Oxy Acetylene - just tank
exchange, or do they refill your small cylinder?

RWL

Grossly overpriced.

Miller has a monopoly on repairs...and they know it...and they charge
accordingly.

Expect to pay well over half the cost of a new machine if you need
repairs.

I also know for a fact that they have discontinued options for this
machine while still advertising them as available.

Miller is not a trustworthy company...remember that you have been
warned.

TMT