Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RWL RWL is offline

Default Miller Syncrowave 180 SD

I spotted this on Craigslist within driving distance from me. Comes with
the torch, pedal, self dimming mask, etc, but no gas cylinder. Listed at
$1500 which probably isn't a real bargain.

In doing a little scanning on the net I've seen some comments that this
machine is no longer produced, so parts may be a problem.

I rarely weld anything over 3/16", so this probably would fit my needs. I'd
probably hang onto my AC/DC thunderbolt for awhile in case I needed to weld
heavier material. At some point I'd likely want to weld thin aluminum, such
as in a canoe repair (don't own one but that's the sort of thing I could see
doing)

Decent machine or are there known limitations?
Price reasonable or high for a used welder without the tank?
(higher than I'd like to pay, but used relatively recent TIGs don't seem to
come up all that often)
Will parts / repairs become a problem?
Any idea of when these machines were manufactured? What were they replaced
by?
I'm on the road, so can't check cost of cylinders. What does it typically
cost to buy the gas cylinder? Refill like Oxy Acetylene - just tank
exchange, or do they refill your small cylinder?

RWL