Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default O.T. Comcast

What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

Ed Angell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"edangell" edangellatcomcastdotnet wrote in message
. ..
What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

http://news.aioe.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

i set up two news servers. octanews.com with a block account. I paid $4 and
still haven't had to buy a second block after nearly a year. It has went
donw a few times. So, I also set up aioe.org, totally free. I see some folks
filter everythig from this server.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

edangell wrote:
What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

Ed Angell

I switched to this:

http://www.motzarella.org/index.php

Totally free, you can send a donation if you want, but no nags or
anything. It appears to be just some guy who wants to offer usenet to
the world, or something.

I know a few folks who found it was not carrying some obscure group, a
quick email to the owner and it got added.

-Al A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"edangell" edangellatcomcastdotnet writes:

What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

Either they use google to find out what others are doing, or they ask
the same question 200 other people asked in this newsgroup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-23, edangell edangellatcomcastdotnet wrote:
What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

I was never a Comcast user, but I'm currently using (and very
happy with) newsguy (check out http://www.newsguy.com to read about
the services they offer and the prices.

Among other things, your unused monthly bandwidth carries over,
so unless you spend a lot of time in the alt.binaries.* newsgroups, it
will accumulate rather quickly. I'm currently above 1 TB of unused
bandwidth.

They are good at warning you about upcoming work which *might*
impact your service. Either by eMail, or you can subscribe to
newsguy.announce and newsguy.general and not need the e-mail copies
(though they do e-mail you the individual accumulated bandwidth info,
since that varies from user to user.) "newsguy.announce" is all that
you really need, but the newsguy.general lets you interact with the
staff in a less formal setting -- including things like requesting added
features in the newsreader which is free for download from them, and
their web-based newsreader, and see occasional photos of their kids and
other such things. The current topic is how to deal with mice. :-)

The service which I signed up for was originally $9.99 per
month, and later (once I was sure that I was happy) I switched to the
annual rate of $99.99 per year (so two months free compared to that).
You can get accounts with e-mail service, and with private web space and
all -- but I forget the prices for those since I did not need them.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

edangell wrote:
What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

My ISP supposedly still has newsgroup service, but
it became awful a few years ago, with 3-day
downtimes over the weekend, etc. I tried a few
and finally settled on giga-news. They have never
been actually down, as far as I know, although
sometimes network problems keep me from getting to
them for a few minutes - and that has only
happened maybe two times in 2 years or so. They
charge $7.99 a month, and it grates me to have to
pay extra for a service that is supposed to be
already bundled in my Charter account, but it is
too important to be without.

The ONLY problem with giga-news is they keep TOO
MUCH, they have this group all the way back to
2003, about 450,000 messages, and it just about
bogs my computer down to handle such a large
number of posts.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
edangell wrote:
[...]

In Thunderbird you should be able to configure how it handles old
messages. If you have the list of newsgroups in the left pane, right
click on group name and select Properties. Then go to the Retention
Policy tab and make your changes. If you subscribe to more than one
newsgroup you can make global changes to them by changing the server
properties.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-24, Jon Elson wrote:
edangell wrote:
What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

[ ... ]

and finally settled on giga-news. They have never

[ ... ]

They
charge $7.99 a month, and it grates me to have to
pay extra for a service that is supposed to be
already bundled in my Charter account, but it is
too important to be without.

The ONLY problem with giga-news is they keep TOO
MUCH, they have this group all the way back to
2003, about 450,000 messages, and it just about
bogs my computer down to handle such a large
number of posts.

Most newsreaders have a "catchup" command, which marks all the
older articles read (on your computer), and then whenever you connect it
only presents articles newer than your last reading session. Your
newsreader says "show me all articles since article #whatever in this
newsgroup" -- so the net and system load is a lot less than you have
been experiencing.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Where will everyone go after Comcast NG is gone? Ken[_10_] Woodworking 29 October 24th 08 07:48 AM
newsgroup vs comcast Rodger[_3_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 10 October 8th 08 04:25 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking 22 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 37 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Should I believe the Comcast repairman? tenplay Home Repair 27 January 13th 06 01:35 PM