Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steven J Masta Steven J Masta is offline

Default O.T. Comcast

Jon Elson wrote:
edangell wrote:
What are the comcast subscribers to this group doing, now that comcast is
dropping NG's permanently ?

My ISP supposedly still has newsgroup service, but
it became awful a few years ago, with 3-day
downtimes over the weekend, etc. I tried a few
and finally settled on giga-news. They have never
been actually down, as far as I know, although
sometimes network problems keep me from getting to
them for a few minutes - and that has only
happened maybe two times in 2 years or so. They
charge $7.99 a month, and it grates me to have to
pay extra for a service that is supposed to be
already bundled in my Charter account, but it is
too important to be without.

The ONLY problem with giga-news is they keep TOO
MUCH, they have this group all the way back to
2003, about 450,000 messages, and it just about
bogs my computer down to handle such a large
number of posts.

In Thunderbird you should be able to configure how it handles old
messages. If you have the list of newsgroups in the left pane, right
click on group name and select Properties. Then go to the Retention
Policy tab and make your changes. If you subscribe to more than one
newsgroup you can make global changes to them by changing the server
properties.

Steve