Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where will everyone go after Comcast NG is gone?

Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Ken" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

Cancel Comcast and go to AT&T 3mg DSL like I did. I am very satisfied with
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:39:48 -0400, "Ken" wrote:

Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

They will be right here using one of the myraid of other ways to
access usenet.

Here's one that is totally free and doesn't even require any
registration. You don't even give them your email address. You just
set your newsreader to their settings rather than comcasts, and start
using it.

http://www.aoie.org

If you want to be able to donwload binaries, you could subscribe to
newsguy.com for 3 dollars a month.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ken" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

I went to astraweb. I paid $10 and that will cover for years at my present
rate of use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:39:48 -0400, "Ken" wrote:

Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

basically, Comcast doesn't HAVE any newsgroups, that I know of, only lets (used
to let) you access newsgroups through Comcast..
Seems to me that when I had Comcast, they contracted to Giganews, so that
Comcast could "allow" newsgroups..
Now that they took that away from you, you need a new newsserver..
They range from free to very expensive, depending on your needs..

I use APN, it's $3 a month and I think that allows 12 gigabytes a month..
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
As much as I use newsgroups, I'm not going to stop accessing them to save $36 a
year, are you? YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

"Ken" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

I went to astraweb. I paid $10 and that will cover for years at my present
rate of use.

Individual is about $15/year unlimited use, though no binaries.
Others are a couple of bucks a month and allow gigabytes of pr0n
downloads. I haven't used any of my ISP's Usenet service for five
years. I don't even know if they have one.

--
Keith
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/08 10:06 AMOct 12, "Joe" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Cancel Comcast and go to AT&T 3mg DSL like I did. I am very satisfied with
it.

If I could get 3 Mbps DSL, I would be there in a heart beat. But DSL runs
only 100 Kbps at my house even though I am in a high density subdivision
inside city limits. The problem is crappy infrastructure in the local POTS
system.

I keep hearing that fiber is coming. When I can go that route, it si goodbye
Comcast.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/08 2:51 PMOct 12, "mac davis" wrote:

basically, Comcast doesn't HAVE any newsgroups, that I know of,

No one "has" newsgroups except for some private ones. The common newsgroups
are a distributed system.

only lets
(used
to let) you access newsgroups through Comcast..
Seems to me that when I had Comcast, they contracted to Giganews, so that
Comcast could "allow" newsgroups..

Since they subcontracted the service to Giganews, they were paying for
netnews, which means that our monthly charges included some small amount for
that service.

Now that they took that away from you, you need a new newsserver..

Yes. But every time you go to a service outside Comcast, your traffic counts
against the monthly 250 Gb limit. If you rent movies through Comcast's On
Demand, it doesn't count towards the limit but if you rent digital movies
from another source, it does.

I see this move as part of a bigger picture where Comcast wants to lock us
into buy services from only them and only the services that they choose to
offer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ken" wrote in
:

Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

Before the news the Comcast was going to drop newsgroup access, I was
considering a change to Verizon Fios. Now it's a done deal.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

"krw" wrote in message
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Individual is about $15/year unlimited use, though no binaries.

I use Agent Premium news which *is* unlimited use for $15 a month including
binaries. That service includes a greatly increased download speed and a
really decent retention time for text and binaries.

Yeah, it works out to about $180 a year, but I'm a computer geek anyway and
when you compare that amount to all sorts of other things like beer,
smoking, takeout a few times a week or even cable TV, it's a very reasonable
amount.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave B - Parkville, MD wrote:
"Ken" wrote in
:

Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

Before the news the Comcast was going to drop newsgroup access, I was
considering a change to Verizon Fios. Now it's a done deal.

Dave

With Verizon you'll only have access to the "Big Eight" groups. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big-7

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 12, 9:39*am, "Ken" wrote:
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

My house. BYOB, I'll fire up the BBQ
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ken" wrote in message
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Cancel Comcast and go to AT&T 3mg DSL like I did. *I am very satisfied with
it.

If I could get 3 Mbps DSL, I would be there in a heart beat. But DSL runs
only 100 Kbps at my house even though I am in a high density subdivision
inside city limits. The problem is crappy infrastructure in the local POTS
system.

I keep hearing that fiber is coming. When I can go that route, it si goodbye
Comcast.

You're better off than I am. I get WIld Blue satellite (absolutely
NOTHING else available he they are all "coming in a few months" and
have been for nearly five years). Not all that much faster than dial-
up on uploads, maybe 2-1/2 times as fast as dial-up on downloads and
general reading, fails every time there is a light rain, has such
variable customer service (some is excellent, some are snotty as hell)
that it is maddening, have trouble keeping the dish repaired and
aligned and at this point claim they won't charge me for the next trip
if the "same part fails."

AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID.AVOID. AVOID. AVOID.AVOID.
AVOID. AVOID.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I keep hearing that fiber is coming. When I can go that route, it si

goodbye
Comcast.

You're better off than I am. I get WIld Blue satellite (absolutely
NOTHING else available he they are all "coming in a few months" and
have been for nearly five years).

Condolences. Sometimes I curse various aspects of living in the city, but
when it comes to things like you guys are talking about I have to admit
there are some benefits to city dwelling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:57:52 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Individual is about $15/year unlimited use, though no binaries.

I use Agent Premium news which *is* unlimited use for $15 a month including
binaries. That service includes a greatly increased download speed and a
really decent retention time for text and binaries.

Yeah, it works out to about $180 a year, but I'm a computer geek anyway and
when you compare that amount to all sorts of other things like beer,
smoking, takeout a few times a week or even cable TV, it's a very reasonable
amount.

Or, buying music..
(damn, did I say that out loud?)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:39:48 -0400, "Ken" wrote:

Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

I have Comcast, scheduled to quit newsgroup services late this month.

I subscribe to eight newsgroups, five that reflect my interest in
woodworking, sailing and running, three that are related to vehicles
that I have to maintain in my family.

There are better sources for the car maintenance in moderated forums.

With regard to the interest newsgroups, I may just take a break, at
least till after the election. All of them are now dominated by
polarized off topic discussions, primarily political. One of them
(not this one) has become nothing more than a sock puppet show for the
purpose of trolling, particularly politically oriented outrageous
positions. Sources, rather than objective, become the most vile blogs
available, and folks in these newsgroups often pass it on as gospel.

I might get away from the computer and actually get something done :~)

Paint the house time, got to get that airless cranked up and catch
this weather window.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 8:17*am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
[...]

Airless rules!

I've eying one of those new Titan jobbies. I wish somebody would come
out with one ( I have a CH now) with a smaller diameter hose and
shorter lengths. A job has to be a good size to warrant the cost of
filling up the hose.
I did a library job once where I had to spray 60 drawers. My airless
was at the shop, so I used it instead of my HVLP ( pot-fed DeVilbiss)
I was very surprised at the results. That lacquer hit that wood with
authority and very little over-spray. A scaled-back version of that
concept would be nice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 05:39:30 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

[...]

I bought a Graco ES190 when one of the retailers went beserk and
marked it down by about 50%. It was at a time when I had to put
exterior latex on a lot of lattice work. Ever try to paint that
stuff? it is the most difficult manual paint job there is in my view.
The airless pump knocked them out in a hurry.

One thing is, when you pull that trigger you better not fall asleep
and better point it where it needs to go. It will pump a gallon as
quick as you can blink. Only for big jobs though, lot of waste in the
system and clean up afterwards.

I've never been too fond of using HVLP or conventional air atomized
for shooting latex. Not really built for that.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 3:23*pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:

I've never been too fond of using HVLP or conventional air atomized
for shooting latex. *Not really built for that.

Frank

Even with a gravity fed gun, with a size 2 tip, it's not ideal.
A pressure pot, thinned with FloTrol works pretty good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:39:48 -0400, "Ken" wrote:

Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

I've already noticed decreased activity in newsgroups. Usenet is too
"text-based" and the Internet is more multimedia. Lots of folks have
left newsgroups temporarily until after the '08 election (I've
temporarily turned off my phone until then).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken wrote:
FloTrol is not a thinner, it is used to extend roll over time
similar to a retarder, FloTrol does not change viscosity.\\

Have you tried measuring viscosity with and without? The stuff
doesn't reduce it as much as adding water but with most latex it
reduces it some if you add the recommended amount for spraying. To
get good results though you need to thin with both.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Oct 14, 3:23 pm, Frank Boettcher wrote:

I've never been too fond of using HVLP or conventional air atomized
for shooting latex. Not really built for that.

Frank

Even with a gravity fed gun, with a size 2 tip, it's not ideal.
A pressure pot, thinned with FloTrol works pretty good.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:06:35 -0500, "Joe" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

Cancel Comcast and go to AT&T 3mg DSL like I did. I am very satisfied with
it.

Our Internet Comcast is $84 for non-Comcast TV cable subscribers. AT&T
DSL lite is $22/month.

Comcast: $1008.00 per year
AT&T: 265.00

Savings by dropping Comcast: $743

With any Internet connection, it may be good or bad, so you may not
always have a choice. Comcast is clearly overpriced and uses a lot of
promotional offerings to lure in new customers. Also, Comcast
charges $100 for installation (to connect two wires on the street),
AT&T self-install is free!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 12, 9:39 am, "Ken" wrote:
Just wondering where will everyone go to after Comcast NG is closed?

Ken

I feel like an idiot suggesting it, but how about Google Groups....
it's free. Yahoo probably has it as well

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

wrote in message
I feel like an idiot suggesting it, but how about Google Groups....
it's free. Yahoo probably has it as well

Google groups does not provide access to binary newsgroups. A major part
of this thread developed around Comcast dumping all binary news groups and
using porn as the underlying excuse for doing so. Many ISP's are dumping
binary access. (The real reason is money). Anyway, this will have direct
effect on Comcast users want to view what's posted in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, which can be considered the sister
group to rec.woodworking. Yahoo, I can't comment on.

Yahoo fortunately doesn't, there are too many web based portals into some
usenet groups as it is, most very poorly implimented. Most of these web
sites just pick a few specialized groups, which I suppose is a good thing,
otherwise my killfile would be much larger.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Google groups does not provide access to binary newsgroups.

Yahoo fortunately doesn't, there are too many web based portals into some

It makes me think that Google might want to setup binary access. With their
inroads to a truly major portion of the internet, they could corner the
market on users wanting binary access. Agreed, the market in that area is
shrinking, but there's always going to be a select group of people who will
want access to the binaries area.

Of course, my business knowledge in this area is woefully nonexistent. So,
I'm sure there's some financial reason that they haven't already done so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" writes:
wrote in message
I feel like an idiot suggesting it, but how about Google Groups....
it's free. Yahoo probably has it as well

Google groups does not provide access to binary newsgroups. A major part of
this thread developed around Comcast dumping all binary news groups and
using porn as the underlying excuse for doing so. Many ISP's are dumping
binary access. (The real reason is money). Anyway, this will have direct
effect on Comcast users want to view what's posted in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, which can be considered the sister group
to rec.woodworking. Yahoo, I can't comment on.

Altopia carries "alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking". Would love new
customers. $6/month unlimited.

--
Chris Caputo
President, Altopia Corporation

Comcast is dropping newsgroups mapdude Woodworking 74 October 12th 08 06:32 AM
newsgroup vs comcast Rodger[_3_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 10 October 8th 08 04:25 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking 22 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 37 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Should I believe the Comcast repairman? tenplay Home Repair 27 January 13th 06 01:35 PM