Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default First the Bridgeport, now a surface grinder

I spotted a somewhat modern looking Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder
on Craigslist and ran down to the Philly area to pick that up today.
Not so cheap that it's in the gloat category, but more reasonable than
what I've been seeing on eBay. I let a couple of cheap surface
grinders at $350 go by because they were pretty old looking.

No coolant, but it has some kind of vacuum in the base to gather the
dust. The place where I bought it didn't even know there was a vacuum
in the base. It wasn't hooked up. Gotta find a manual for the
machine. I didn't spot a whole lot about these machines when I was
Googling a few nights ago.

The Harbor Freight shop crane did its job well moving that off the bed
of my pickup truck and into the shop.

I spent the evening wiping things down and taking covers off to get
into places where there are decades of dust and grit. I"m still not
done. I probably have a couple of hours worth of cleaning to do, and
it wasn't really all that dirty to begin with, but it's better to
start with a really clean machine and not have to worry where there
might be grit from misuse in a previous owners shop.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

The Harbor Freight shop crane did its job well moving that off the
bed of my pickup truck and into the shop.

So now you are a rep for Harbor Freight? Your labrador's pulley and
cable run worked once or twice too didn't it? Was that also the
cheapest stuff you could find? If your shop crane drops something on
you, if possible please be sure to post about that too.

RWL

From: GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: First the Bridgeport, now a surface grinder
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:56:55 -0400

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:56:55 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

[...]

Doomed...doomed I tell you...another victim of Tool Madness!

Bwahahahaha!

Good score!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 03:51:36 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

The Harbor Freight shop crane did its job well moving that off the
bed of my pickup truck and into the shop.

So now you are a rep for Harbor Freight? Your labrador's pulley and
cable run worked once or twice too didn't it? Was that also the
cheapest stuff you could find? If your shop crane drops something on
you, if possible please be sure to post about that too.

who ****ed in your cheerios?

RWL

From: GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:56:55 -0400

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 02:54:34 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

The Harbor Freight shop crane did its job well moving that off the
bed of my pickup truck and into the shop.

So now you are a rep for Harbor Freight? Your labrador's pulley and
cable run worked once or twice too didn't it? Was that also the
cheapest stuff you could find? If your shop crane drops something on
you, if possible please be sure to post about that too.

who ****ed in your cheerios?

PDFTFT!

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 11:51 pm, John Doe wrote:
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

The Harbor Freight shop crane did its job well moving that off the
bed of my pickup truck and into the shop.

So now you are a rep for Harbor Freight?

Look, I report good/bad experience and workarounds with these imports,
too, because there is no easy substitute for the capabilities they
give us home shop people. In the 70's before imports I had to build my
own small air compressors and struggled to cut metal on an old
woodworking Shopsmith, while dreaming of a Maximat. The low-end
industrial lookalike tool market Taiwan and then China moved into was
wide open. Sears' offerings were practically insults to customers they
didn't respect. I have their 8" table saw, AA lathe, spotwelder and
Color(matic?) arc welder as proof.

It's nice to see feedback on HF and Enco products, in my experience
some of them are good, others just barely adequate for occasional use
after you disassemble, clean, grease and maybe modify them. But at
least they are available even if they are unfinished parts kits. The 1-
ton trolley I just bought had one-shield bearings on one side plate,
wide open to dust. The other plate's bearings were rz. All four felt
gritty. It works OK but I'll have to store it indoors rather than
leave it in the open log shed on the track.

If American manufacturers had ever addressed the home market as the
Asians now do the stuff would be out on the second-hand market. I look
for it and really don't see much. There were expensive small model-
shop machines like the Rusnok and Buffalo Forge mill-drills, the
Clausing knee mill and overpriced, poorly supported English and German
imports. Material-handling equipment was all industrial-grade and
priced accordingly. The only good way to get it was to use vacation
days to go to industrial auctions. I was glad to see HF come in as
competition to the second-hand market with products no worse than the
worn-out equipment available there. Either one needed to be checked
and rebuilt anyway.

BTW, I lost my lust for a Maximat after examining one. It looked
better in the pictures.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 10:56*pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
No coolant, but it has some kind of vacuum in the base to gather the
dust....
RWL

Or to operate a vacuum chuck to grind non-magnetic material?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Harbor Freight rolling shop crane is one of their better designs
(it is actually a generic design offered at many discount places) and,
in fact, is very good at what it is supposed to do. I would not bash
them without some first hand knowledge. That crane never let me down
and I used it a lot. The "truck crane", however, is more troublesome.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

The Harbor Freight shop crane did its job well moving that off the
bed of my pickup truck and into the shop.

So now you are a rep for Harbor Freight? Your labrador's pulley and
cable run worked once or twice too didn't it? Was that also the
cheapest stuff you could find? If your shop crane drops something on
you, if possible please be sure to post about that too.

who ****ed in your cheerios?

PDFTFT!

I didnt get my secret decoder ring..whats that mean?

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I haven't used mine a lot but the only bad thing I've spotted is the
cheapo casters. It says in the instructions not to roll it with a
load on it. Well that's what I bought it for! It won't be
expensive to replace the casters with better ones and the rest of the
rig seems fine. New cylinders are available and that's the only thing
that might go out on it.
I'm tempted to buy the truck mount crane but the mount does not look
too strong. I'd have to make a mount that's a lot bigger and
removable too.
73 Gary

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:52:18 -0500, Ignoramus24384
wrote:

The Harbor Freight rolling shop crane is one of their better designs
(it is actually a generic design offered at many discount places) and,
in fact, is very good at what it is supposed to do. I would not bash
them without some first hand knowledge. That crane never let me down
and I used it a lot. The "truck crane", however, is more troublesome.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:39:30 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

The Harbor Freight shop crane did its job well moving that off the
bed of my pickup truck and into the shop.

So now you are a rep for Harbor Freight? Your labrador's pulley and
cable run worked once or twice too didn't it? Was that also the
cheapest stuff you could find? If your shop crane drops something on
you, if possible please be sure to post about that too.

who ****ed in your cheerios?

PDFTFT!

I didnt get my secret decoder ring..whats that mean?

Please Don't Feed The Fu^Hrolicking Trolls.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-22, Gary Pewitt wrote:
I haven't used mine a lot but the only bad thing I've spotted is the
cheapo casters. It says in the instructions not to roll it with a
load on it. Well that's what I bought it for! It won't be
expensive to replace the casters with better ones and the rest of the
rig seems fine. New cylinders are available and that's the only thing
that might go out on it.
I'm tempted to buy the truck mount crane but the mount does not look
too strong. I'd have to make a mount that's a lot bigger and
removable too.
73 Gary

Yes, come to think of it, I threw away the Harbor Freight casters also
and replaced them with quality 5 inch Peerless casters. I welded the
peerless ones, on:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Addi...To-Shop-Crane/

wrote:

The Harbor Freight rolling shop crane is one of their better designs
(it is actually a generic design offered at many discount places) and,
in fact, is very good at what it is supposed to do. I would not bash
them without some first hand knowledge. That crane never let me down
and I used it a lot. The "truck crane", however, is more troublesome.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Boyer Schultz surface grinder

No coolant, but it has some kind of vacuum in the base to gather the dust....
RWL

Or to operate a vacuum chuck to grind non-magnetic material?

Interesting thought, but no. It's definitely for dust collection.
There is an accordion type cloth filter between the top and bottom
halves to keep dust out of the top, where the motor is. The bottom
has a pan with grit in it.

I need to get the accordion-like filter out so I can get to the vacuum
motor in the back of the cabinet and hook it up. There are "wipers"
that come up from the bottom between the pleats and they won't go down
to the horizontal position to let me pull the pleats out of the
cabinet.

I need to get the manual for this machine.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-22, Gary Pewitt wrote:
I haven't used mine a lot but the only bad thing I've spotted is the
cheapo casters. It says in the instructions not to roll it with a
load on it. Well that's what I bought it for!

I don't think that it is the quality of the casters which make
this something not to do.

Instead -- *if* you have the load still supported by the hook
and arm, when you start to move it, the load will start swinging, and is
very likely to overbalance the crane (assuming the typical engine
hoist).

However -- if you put some beams (4x4 or so) across the legs,
and lower the load onto those, then pump the arm up just enough to
maintain stress on the top of the load, you can roll things without this
particular problem at least.

Still -- beware of hitting anything on the floor (e.g. a skinny
piece of wire) which will suddenly halt the crane, as the load is likely
to try to keep going.

Note that at least my engine hoist has the wheels in the end of
the fold-down support legs (which support the greater percentage of the
load) as straight rollers -- not casters. The casters are only at the
back, under the frame, where there is a lower percentage of the load.
This means that you can only change the direction of rolling by moving
the back sideways pivoting around the front rollers, and once it is
aimed the right direction can you move forward. And the legs on mine
are at a slight angle (to clear a wider load if you need to set it down
onto the ground), so if you push it in the direction of the legs, they
will try to spread apart, and if you pull it back in the direction of
the column, the legs will try to squeeze together. (Actually, I haven't
checked whether the rollers are actually mounted at a slight angle to
the legs so you can move in a straight line with a load on the system.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:58:23 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

PDFTFT!

I didnt get my secret decoder ring..whats that mean?

Please Don't Feed The Fu^Hrolicking Trolls.

Have you just invented a new acronym?
Even better, it's an SLA not a TLA.

Congratulations

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 9:56*pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:
[...]

Good catch.

Try here for the manuals.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...=131314&page=2

Good luck

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 22, 7:15*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
* * * * Instead -- *if* you have the load still supported by the hook
and arm, when you start to move it, the load will start swinging, and is
very likely to overbalance the crane (assuming the typical engine
hoist).

* * * * However -- if you put some beams (4x4 or so) across the legs,
and lower the load onto those, then pump the arm up just enough to
maintain stress on the top of the load, you can roll things without this
particular problem at least.

* * * * Still -- beware of hitting anything on the floor (e.g. a skinny
piece of wire) which will suddenly halt the crane, as the load is likely
to try to keep going...
* * * * * * * * DoN.

And the instant they pass imbalance they tip FAST!

The crane is at risk for tipping sideways when a line down the chain
would hit the floor outside of the wheel. The swinging load can still
be between the wheels.

I tie the load down in addition to the beams across the wheels. The
last heavy object I moved with my shop crane was an 1100 Lb boulder
that I towed a few hundred feet back into the woods using the crane as
a trailer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I spotted a somewhat modern looking Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder
on Craigslist and ran down to the Philly area to pick that up today.

Good catch.

Try here for the manuals.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...=131314&page=2

TMT

Got em. Mine's an original round guard 612. The manual for that was
harder to find than the newer square wheel guard Challenger manual. I
uploaded the 612 manual to one of the Yahoo grinding groups so other
people could find it.

RWL