Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Diamond wheel tool grinder

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 07:31:57 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .

Copy cat! You're my twin 9 May '39
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The hell you say! July 14 for me.

How you holding up, Gerry?

Harold

I'm only as old as I feel, so I only count every other birthday. Next
year, Junior (born 10 10 74) and I will be the same age! Seriously, I
am thoroughly enjoying second childhood - don't know how I ever found
time to earn a living. SWMBO and I just celebrated 46 years of living
our separate lives together.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:51:44 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 07:31:57 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Well, you're 11 yrs. older than me, but almost 20 younger than Dad.
He's finally slowing down. Transient ischemic attacks are blowing
little chunks of memory, but he still gets outside to cut limbs, kill
weeds, and mow.

Pete Keillor

The only way to live, I am getting my 23 year old snow blower ready
for another season of playing in the snow - nothing better than two
feet of fresh snow to blow out of my eight car parking lot!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:58:00 -0500, Ignoramus18654

On 2008-10-25, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:36:58 -0500, Ignoramus18654

On 2008-10-25, Gerald Miller wrote:
Come to think about it, Drill Doctor uses a diamond wheel quite
successfully.

Actually, the wheel in Drill Doctor is not diamond, I believe that it
is CBN (Carbon Boron Nitride). The reason is exactly what Harold
stated.

Somehow I got the impression it was diamond, probably from the
discussion here several years back when they were first introduced.
Whatever it is, I am quite happy with mine.

I am very happy with mine, that is, since I understood how to use it.

I do, however, have a diamond manual knife sharpener that works
beautifully, I owned it for many years. The difference is that it is a
slow speed, manual process, without heat.

I have several diamond plate sharpeners that I haven't used all that
much - too much time on the computer, not enough time being creative.
At least that's what SWMBO says.

She might mean by that something other than pulling the knife back and
forth on the sharpening stone.

A little this and that (blue pill and KY) looks after that!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
snip---

Well, you're 11 yrs. older than me, but almost 20 younger than Dad.
He's finally slowing down. Transient ischemic attacks are blowing
little chunks of memory, but he still gets outside to cut limbs, kill
weeds, and mow.

Pete Keillor

Just a kid! :-)

As far as slowing down is concerned, I am not nearly the guy I was ten years
ago, although I still do everything I am called upon to do. I go to bed
tired these days, and require more sleep than I once did.

Your father is doing well! Very well, indeed.

I can't really complain. There are folks younger than me that
struggle------

Life is good! :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-25, Gerald Miller wrote:
Come to think about it, Drill Doctor uses a diamond wheel quite
successfully.

Actually, the wheel in Drill Doctor is not diamond, I believe that it
is CBN (Carbon Boron Nitride). The reason is exactly what Harold
stated.

Somehow I got the impression it was diamond, probably from the
discussion here several years back when they were first introduced.

Mine said that it was diamond. I got a spare wheel when I got
mine --just to be sure. Since they also sharpen carbide bits, and
carbide-tipped masonry bits, it pretty much requires diamond for those.
What color is CBN? I've never (knowingly) seen a wheel made from that.

It turns out to not have been very good at doing split points on
the smaller bits which I wanted them on, though it is not bad at the
larger bits.

And I'm doing most of my small bit sharpening on the more
recently acquired DuMore drill grinder -- which does nicely (but no
split points) down to #70 bits.

Whatever it is, I am quite happy with mine.

Nice enough for larger bits (where it saves me more money, and
the DuMore can't handle above 1/4") but not that good for smaller bits.
And one problem which they did not mention in the manual back then at
least -- with either fast-spiral or slow-spiral bits the orientation of
the bit is wrong, since it is gauging some distance back from the tip.
The DuMore gauges from a reflection of the end as seen in a magnifier.
A pity that they discontinued that drill grinder.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I have a couple of issues with the point splitting:
-The split extends past the centre of the bit - I will try adjusting
the position of the wheel on it's shaft.
-The grind goes too far back on the drill - to re-sharpen I have to
grind off too much of the split portion.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
. ..

Copy cat! You're my twin 9 May '39
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The hell you say! July 14 for me.

How you holding up, Gerry?

Harold

I'm only as old as I feel, so I only count every other birthday. Next
year, Junior (born 10 10 74) and I will be the same age! Seriously, I
am thoroughly enjoying second childhood - don't know how I ever found
time to earn a living. SWMBO and I just celebrated 46 years of living
our separate lives together.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Roger that!

I retired when I was just shy of my 55th. birthday. To this day I wonder,
where did I find time to run my business? While I pace myself now, and
don't put in the long, dreadful days I once knew, I keep busy. I can't
imagine what it would be like to have "spare" time. Many of my projects sit
on the back burner, the result of no time.

Your comments in the other post, regards snow blowing your 8 car lot.
One of the reasons I left Utah was to get the hell away from snow. Didn't
manage to do it completely, but I have yet to shovel any snow here. It can
go away the same way it got here-----all by itself.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 04:03:04 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Your comments in the other post, regards snow blowing your 8 car lot.
One of the reasons I left Utah was to get the hell away from snow. Didn't
manage to do it completely, but I have yet to shovel any snow here. It can
go away the same way it got here-----all by itself.

Harold

I'm fortunate that I have a corner lot and can just dump the snow over
the hedge along the far side of the driveway (70' x 16' = four cars
long by two wide).
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Your comments in the other post, regards snow blowing your 8 car lot.
One of the reasons I left Utah was to get the hell away from snow. Didn't
manage to do it completely, but I have yet to shovel any snow here. It can
go away the same way it got here-----all by itself.

Harold

I'm fortunate that I have a corner lot and can just dump the snow over
the hedge along the far side of the driveway (70' x 16' = four cars
long by two wide).
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

We don't get that much (eastern side of Michigan), maybe 3', but the
damn stuff don't leave except for the occasional January thaw. From
sometime in November-December until late March-early April. Yuck.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 04:03:04 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

Crikey, 'Arry. You're building your own house from the dirt up. It's
no wonder that you have no spare time for other things. Once you get
that done, you'll have eons of time to relax. (Email an update on the
house to me, will ya? Got pics? I want to see your ICF.)

Speaking of snow, I just put my unused snow chains on Craigslist. they
were for the F-150 which I no longer own, and they won't fit the new
18" tires/rims on the Tundra.

Your comments in the other post, regards snow blowing your 8 car lot.
One of the reasons I left Utah was to get the hell away from snow. Didn't
manage to do it completely, but I have yet to shovel any snow here. It can
go away the same way it got here-----all by itself.

If you wanted to get away from the snow, you should have moved down a
few degrees latitude, not six degrees UP, silly boy.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip--

Crikey, 'Arry. You're building your own house from the dirt up. It's
no wonder that you have no spare time for other things. Once you get
that done, you'll have eons of time to relax. (Email an update on the
house to me, will ya? Got pics? I want to see your ICF.)

To say the least, it has been an experience. I'm slow as cold tar, but we
have made progress. :-)

Yeah, I have pics, but none since I started putting on the vinyl for the
gable ends. That really makes a difference, that, and the garage doors.
I'll take a shot and get it off to you, with a description of our progress.
Give me a day. Do you have a fast connection? I just got one and
understand all too well what it's like to get large files. Let me know if
size is an issue. It's likely to be around 130 kb. per.

My ICF?? Good gawd, can you speak hinglish? :-)

ICF?

snip

If you wanted to get away from the snow, you should have moved down a
few degrees latitude, not six degrees UP, silly boy.

Heh! You're discounting the effect of the Pacific ocean. The coldest
temperature I recall in Utah was -19 degrees F. The coldest temp they
expect here is around 0 F, which is uncommon. In Utah, from the first of
December until March, if you got snow, and you most certainly did, it hit
the ground and left by wearing out (probably sublimed---it rarely gets warm
enough to melt). By sharp contrast, the longest we've seen snow on the
ground here is about a week, and that was exceptional. One winter we saw no
snow at all. None! Nada! I liked that.

It almost always gets above freezing during the daytime, generally low 40's
or more. That's assuming there's no rain. If there is, it doesn't go
below the mid 30's at night. The frost line here is a conservative 12",
contrasted with the 30" in Utah, where we lived. This is not a bad place to
live, assuming you don't mind moss growing on anything that stands still.
Like our travel trailer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 05:47:04 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip--

Crikey, 'Arry. You're building your own house from the dirt up. It's
no wonder that you have no spare time for other things. Once you get
that done, you'll have eons of time to relax. (Email an update on the
house to me, will ya? Got pics? I want to see your ICF.)

To say the least, it has been an experience. I'm slow as cold tar, but we
have made progress. :-)

So you're as speedy as a 3-toed sloth in that cold weather up there,
are ya?

Yeah, I have pics, but none since I started putting on the vinyl for the
gable ends. That really makes a difference, that, and the garage doors.
I'll take a shot and get it off to you, with a description of our progress.

Yeah, take pics as you complete each task. You'll have it to show
folks precisely how you spent 30+ years of retirement, 'Arry. bseg

Give me a day. Do you have a fast connection? I just got one and
understand all too well what it's like to get large files. Let me know if
size is an issue. It's likely to be around 130 kb. per.

That's fine. My email server balks only when someone sends fifty 4MB
files at once. I'm on DSL, so downloads are quick-as-a-bunny, and
there are no lousy latencies like the DISH modem gave me. It was
actually quicker to upload three dozen 1kb files via a 28.8k modem on
telephone lines than to do so via my Starband sat dish link. Feh! I
love DSL, and the fee is less than half the price of satellite.

My ICF?? Good gawd, can you speak hinglish? :-)

ICF?

Insulating Concrete Forms. You poured your framing in foam blocks,
right?

If you wanted to get away from the snow, you should have moved down a
few degrees latitude, not six degrees UP, silly boy.

Heh! You're discounting the effect of the Pacific ocean. The coldest
temperature I recall in Utah was -19 degrees F. The coldest temp they
expect here is around 0 F, which is uncommon. In Utah, from the first of
December until March, if you got snow, and you most certainly did, it hit
the ground and left by wearing out (probably sublimed---it rarely gets warm
enough to melt). By sharp contrast, the longest we've seen snow on the
ground here is about a week, and that was exceptional. One winter we saw no
snow at all. None! Nada! I liked that.

I think I'm closer to the ocean in GP, but we've had 15F low temps and
snow on the ground for about 4 or 5 days since I've been here. Most of
the time, the little bit of snow we get is melted by the next day.

It almost always gets above freezing during the daytime, generally low 40's
or more. That's assuming there's no rain. If there is, it doesn't go
below the mid 30's at night. The frost line here is a conservative 12",
contrasted with the 30" in Utah, where we lived. This is not a bad place to
live, assuming you don't mind moss growing on anything that stands still.
Like our travel trailer.

And you, if you get any slower? gd&r

You're sorta close to Seattle. Were you aware that "Seattle" is a
Native American word meaning "40 degrees and raining"?

I look forward to the photos.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 05:47:04 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
snip--

Crikey, 'Arry. You're building your own house from the dirt up. It's
no wonder that you have no spare time for other things. Once you get
that done, you'll have eons of time to relax. (Email an update on the
house to me, will ya? Got pics? I want to see your ICF.)

To say the least, it has been an experience. I'm slow as cold tar, but
we
have made progress. :-)

So you're as speedy as a 3-toed sloth in that cold weather up there,
are ya?

The tragedy is I work on the house as if I was making parts for the missile.

Yeah, I know it's not necessary----but old habits are hard to break.
Besides, what I know about building wouldn't fill a small thimble, so each
thing is a new experience.

Yeah, I have pics, but none since I started putting on the vinyl for the
gable ends. That really makes a difference, that, and the garage doors.
I'll take a shot and get it off to you, with a description of our
progress.

Yeah, take pics as you complete each task. You'll have it to show
folks precisely how you spent 30+ years of retirement, 'Arry. bseg

30? Optimism abounds!

snip--

I love DSL, and the fee is less than half the price of satellite.

We just got hooked up about three weeks ago. Staggering difference compared
to our old dial-up. I no longer have to delete large files.

My ICF?? Good gawd, can you speak hinglish? :-)

ICF?

Insulating Concrete Forms. You poured your framing in foam blocks,
right?

Sigh! Oh, those! :-)

Yeah, we used Rastra. The shop was built from Ener-Grid, but they're one
and the same, even made by some of the same individuals, which lead to a law
suit. Ener-Grid is long gone.

10" thick blocks with an R-26 rating, plus a 4 hour fire rating. Damned
neat stuff, Maynard, but you have to change the way you think when it comes
time to hang things from walls.

If you wanted to get away from the snow, you should have moved down a
few degrees latitude, not six degrees UP, silly boy.

I think I'm closer to the ocean in GP, but we've had 15F low temps and
snow on the ground for about 4 or 5 days since I've been here. Most of
the time, the little bit of snow we get is melted by the next day.

That's pretty much the way it is here, too, aside from in the shadows. Those
100' plus tall trees cast a big one this time of the year.

It almost always gets above freezing during the daytime, generally low
40's
or more. That's assuming there's no rain. If there is, it doesn't go
below the mid 30's at night. The frost line here is a conservative
12",
contrasted with the 30" in Utah, where we lived. This is not a bad place
live, assuming you don't mind moss growing on anything that stands still.
Like our travel trailer.

And you, if you get any slower? gd&r

I make a zinc solution that kills moss. I've been thinking of taking a bath
in the stuff occasionally. Got moss growing between my toes, at least where
they haven't grown webs.

You're sorta close to Seattle. Were you aware that "Seattle" is a
Native American word meaning "40 degrees and raining"?

I think Onalaska is about the same, except you substitute the 40 with 35.
:-)

I look forward to the photos.

Well, one, actually. Took a shot of the front today. Not much to see, but
it gives you an idea of what the place looks like. I'll get it off to you
about midnight.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:51:19 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
[...]

I grok that in its entirety. I'm constantly asked to do things I've
never done before. Quoting prices is the hard part of that while
learning how to do something new is (almost) always fun and exciting.

Yeah, I have pics, but none since I started putting on the vinyl for the
gable ends. That really makes a difference, that, and the garage doors.
I'll take a shot and get it off to you, with a description of our
progress.

Yeah, take pics as you complete each task. You'll have it to show
folks precisely how you spent 30+ years of retirement, 'Arry. bseg

30? Optimism abounds!

As my tees say, "The more you gripe, the longer God makes you live."

snip--

I love DSL, and the fee is less than half the price of satellite.

We just got hooked up about three weeks ago. Staggering difference compared
to our old dial-up. I no longer have to delete large files.

It's definitely the way to go, price- and performance-wise.

My ICF?? Good gawd, can you speak hinglish? :-)

ICF?

Insulating Concrete Forms. You poured your framing in foam blocks,
right?

Sigh! Oh, those! :-)

"Just because I used them to build my house doesn't mean that I know
WTF they are.", right? snicker

Yeah, we used Rastra. The shop was built from Ener-Grid, but they're one
and the same, even made by some of the same individuals, which lead to a law
suit. Ener-Grid is long gone.

10" thick blocks with an R-26 rating, plus a 4 hour fire rating. Damned
neat stuff, Maynard, but you have to change the way you think when it comes
time to hang things from walls.

Indubitably.

If you wanted to get away from the snow, you should have moved down a
few degrees latitude, not six degrees UP, silly boy.

I think I'm closer to the ocean in GP, but we've had 15F low temps and
snow on the ground for about 4 or 5 days since I've been here. Most of
the time, the little bit of snow we get is melted by the next day.

That's pretty much the way it is here, too, aside from in the shadows. Those
100' plus tall trees cast a big one this time of the year.

Yeah, your forest floor is seldom above 40, is it? I find that here.
shudder

It almost always gets above freezing during the daytime, generally low
40's
or more. That's assuming there's no rain. If there is, it doesn't go
below the mid 30's at night. The frost line here is a conservative
12",
contrasted with the 30" in Utah, where we lived. This is not a bad place
live, assuming you don't mind moss growing on anything that stands still.
Like our travel trailer.

And you, if you get any slower? gd&r

I make a zinc solution that kills moss. I've been thinking of taking a bath
in the stuff occasionally. Got moss growing between my toes, at least where
they haven't grown webs.

vbg

You're sorta close to Seattle. Were you aware that "Seattle" is a
Native American word meaning "40 degrees and raining"?

I think Onalaska is about the same, except you substitute the 40 with 35.
:-)

Brrr!

I look forward to the photos.

Well, one, actually. Took a shot of the front today. Not much to see, but
it gives you an idea of what the place looks like. I'll get it off to you
about midnight.

Man, what a prolific photographer you are! It looks good with the
Dryvit on it. My favorite thing is the 12' long 2x8 plank to the
front door. Susan is truly a sport for that one, dude. I'll bet that
grocery day is a barrel of fun. g

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip---
My favorite thing is the 12' long 2x8 plank to the
front door. Susan is truly a sport for that one, dude. I'll bet that
grocery day is a barrel of fun. g

Hey, it beats climbing up to the door!

Truth be known, we don't live in the house, so it's no inconvenience. My
shop, where we live, is likely as nice as most of the houses around us. We
have a tiled shower, built in vacuum cleaner system, hydronic heat, quary
tile coving on all walls, phones wired in many locations, as well as TV
outlets in several locations, plus a monitored alarm system. The only
thing wrong with this picture is I don't have full access to my machine
tools because we live where they will be set up permanently.

Our needs are small. We listen to great music, classical (mostly the
baroque), and jazz, Brubeck, MJQ, Monk, and the big bands. Life is good! We
don't mind the plank. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:57:49 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip---
My favorite thing is the 12' long 2x8 plank to the
front door. Susan is truly a sport for that one, dude. I'll bet that
grocery day is a barrel of fun. g

Hey, it beats climbing up to the door!

Truth be known, we don't live in the house, so it's no inconvenience. My

Oh, I had thought you'd be moved in by now. I missed the importance
of your "isn't taped and mudded yet" statement. Mea culpa.

shop, where we live, is likely as nice as most of the houses around us. We
have a tiled shower, built in vacuum cleaner system, hydronic heat, quary
tile coving on all walls, phones wired in many locations, as well as TV
outlets in several locations, plus a monitored alarm system. The only
thing wrong with this picture is I don't have full access to my machine
tools because we live where they will be set up permanently.

I guess you built it for those times you were in the dog house. My,
what a nice dog house you built, 'Arry!

Our needs are small. We listen to great music, classical (mostly the
baroque), and jazz, Brubeck, MJQ, Monk, and the big bands. Life is good! We
don't mind the plank. :-)

Sacre bleu, I thought you were living in the shop area next to the
tools, so you had access. Condolences on the lengthy disuse of your
tools.

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler