Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Diamond wheel tool grinder

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 05:47:04 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip--

Crikey, 'Arry. You're building your own house from the dirt up. It's
no wonder that you have no spare time for other things. Once you get
that done, you'll have eons of time to relax. (Email an update on the
house to me, will ya? Got pics? I want to see your ICF.)

To say the least, it has been an experience. I'm slow as cold tar, but we
have made progress. :-)

So you're as speedy as a 3-toed sloth in that cold weather up there,
are ya?

Yeah, I have pics, but none since I started putting on the vinyl for the
gable ends. That really makes a difference, that, and the garage doors.
I'll take a shot and get it off to you, with a description of our progress.

Yeah, take pics as you complete each task. You'll have it to show
folks precisely how you spent 30+ years of retirement, 'Arry. bseg

Give me a day. Do you have a fast connection? I just got one and
understand all too well what it's like to get large files. Let me know if
size is an issue. It's likely to be around 130 kb. per.

That's fine. My email server balks only when someone sends fifty 4MB
files at once. I'm on DSL, so downloads are quick-as-a-bunny, and
there are no lousy latencies like the DISH modem gave me. It was
actually quicker to upload three dozen 1kb files via a 28.8k modem on
telephone lines than to do so via my Starband sat dish link. Feh! I
love DSL, and the fee is less than half the price of satellite.

My ICF?? Good gawd, can you speak hinglish? :-)

ICF?

Insulating Concrete Forms. You poured your framing in foam blocks,
right?

If you wanted to get away from the snow, you should have moved down a
few degrees latitude, not six degrees UP, silly boy.

Heh! You're discounting the effect of the Pacific ocean. The coldest
temperature I recall in Utah was -19 degrees F. The coldest temp they
expect here is around 0 F, which is uncommon. In Utah, from the first of
December until March, if you got snow, and you most certainly did, it hit
the ground and left by wearing out (probably sublimed---it rarely gets warm
enough to melt). By sharp contrast, the longest we've seen snow on the
ground here is about a week, and that was exceptional. One winter we saw no
snow at all. None! Nada! I liked that.

I think I'm closer to the ocean in GP, but we've had 15F low temps and
snow on the ground for about 4 or 5 days since I've been here. Most of
the time, the little bit of snow we get is melted by the next day.

It almost always gets above freezing during the daytime, generally low 40's
or more. That's assuming there's no rain. If there is, it doesn't go
below the mid 30's at night. The frost line here is a conservative 12",
contrasted with the 30" in Utah, where we lived. This is not a bad place to
live, assuming you don't mind moss growing on anything that stands still.
Like our travel trailer.

And you, if you get any slower? gd&r

You're sorta close to Seattle. Were you aware that "Seattle" is a
Native American word meaning "40 degrees and raining"?

I look forward to the photos.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.