Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grinder wheel attachment for old grinder

I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm guessing in the 60s
or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse electric motor with a 1/2 shaft
sticking out each end. Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is
female 1/2 inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and is
held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded 1/2 stud with
nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or whatever) on it and secure with nut.
Any wheel or brush or whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and auto part stores,
and no one that I've found so far has any clue where I can find one of
these. Does anyone have any idea where I can find such an attachment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm guessing in the 60s
or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse electric motor with a 1/2 shaft
sticking out each end. Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is
female 1/2 inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and is
held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded 1/2 stud with
nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or whatever) on it and secure with nut.
Any wheel or brush or whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and auto part stores,
and no one that I've found so far has any clue where I can find one of
these. Does anyone have any idea where I can find such an attachment?

Look in Yellow Pages for 'electric motor repair'. Or call a furnace
company and ask where they take their blower motors for repair or
swapout. Furnaces, air handlers, table saws, etc- the motors are all
pretty similar. The motor shop will have or know where to get all sorts
of doo-dads to adapt shafts as needed. If there is an industrial park in
your town, one of the buildings there is probably an industrial parts
supply house- they will also likely have it. As would a farm equipment
store, or a more rural ma'n'pa hardware store. A modern civilian big-box
place has no interest in selling repair parts- they want to sell you a
new grinder instead.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

That is *exactly* it! I didn't even know what they were called. I live in
rural Oregon (Lebanon), and all I could get from the local stores here, as
well as our few Big Box stores, was dumb looks.

Thanks guys - this is why I ask these oddball questions here - if it's
anything remotely related to home repair or any type of power tool we might
use around the home - someone here always seems to have the answer :-)

"DanG" wrote in message
I assume this is what you are after to convert a motor shaft to a right
hand or left hand threaded shaft:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?L2=Shaft+Arbors&operator=prodIn dexRefinementSearch&originalValue=motor+arbor&L1=M otor

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Zootal" wrote in message
I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm guessing in the
60s or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse electric motor with a 1/2 shaft
sticking out each end. Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is
female 1/2 inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and
is held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded 1/2 stud
with nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or whatever) on it and secure
with nut. Any wheel or brush or whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and auto part
stores, and no one that I've found so far has any clue where I can find
one of these. Does anyone have any idea where I can find such an
attachment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, now that I know what these things are called, surprise surprise they are
available in many places, even on eBay. Question: Should I use a left hand
threaded shaft on one side of the motor, and a right hand thread on the
other side? Is there a danger of a grinding wheel coming loose if I don't?

"Zootal" wrote in message
That is *exactly* it! I didn't even know what they were called. I live in
rural Oregon (Lebanon), and all I could get from the local stores here, as
well as our few Big Box stores, was dumb looks.

Thanks guys - this is why I ask these oddball questions here - if it's
anything remotely related to home repair or any type of power tool we
might use around the home - someone here always seems to have the answer
:-)

"Zootal" wrote in message
I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm guessing in the
60s or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse electric motor with a 1/2 shaft
sticking out each end. Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is
female 1/2 inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and
is held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded 1/2 stud
with nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or whatever) on it and secure
with nut. Any wheel or brush or whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on
this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and auto part
stores, and no one that I've found so far has any clue where I can find
one of these. Does anyone have any idea where I can find such an
attachment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Absolutely. If you are using a double ended motor, both shafts
turn the same direction and so one is going clockwise the other
counter. You will need one of each to play.
______________________________

"Zootal" wrote in message
I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm
guessing in the 60s or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse
electric motor with a 1/2 shaft sticking out each end.
Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is female 1/2
inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and
is held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded
1/2 stud with nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or
whatever) on it and secure with nut. Any wheel or brush or
whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and
auto part stores, and no one that I've found so far has any
clue where I can find one of these. Does anyone have any idea
where I can find such an attachment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

yes and yes. assuming that when you're facing the grinder, both wheels
are rotating so that the face of the wheel is moving down (or in other
words, if you look at the RH wheel face on it is rotating CCW) you
should use RH thread on the RH wheel and LH thread on the LH wheel.
that way the wheels will tend to tighten themselves in use, not loosen.

nate

(I hope I got that right)

"Zootal" wrote in message
news:H76dneAjSbzMTuTanZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@giganews. com...

I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm guessing in the
60s or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse electric motor with a 1/2 shaft
sticking out each end. Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is
female 1/2 inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and
is held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded 1/2 stud
with nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or whatever) on it and secure
with nut. Any wheel or brush or whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on
this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and auto part
stores, and no one that I've found so far has any clue where I can find
one of these. Does anyone have any idea where I can find such an
attachment?

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 21:44:40 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm guessing in the
60s
or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse electric motor with a 1/2 shaft
sticking out each end. Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is
female 1/2 inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and
is
held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded 1/2 stud with
nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or whatever) on it and secure with
nut.
Any wheel or brush or whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and auto part
stores,
and no one that I've found so far has any clue where I can find one of
these. Does anyone have any idea where I can find such an attachment?

Bought both grinding wheel and wire wheel at Home Depot a few years
back.

They do have wheels, but they don't carry arbors that big. All they have
today is arbors for small hand tools.

What is amazing is how many hardware stores I walk into, show them the arbor
I have, and have them stare at it like it came from another planet.